Register now to get rid of these ads!

crossfire injection 305

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iiizman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. iiizman

iiizman
    from Texas

i did a search for the xfire 305 and not a whole lot of info. I have the chance to get a long block cheap, but without the xfire manifold or ecm, i don't know alot about it. It would be going into 65 c10 with a turbo 350 . Can i run it with a normal manifold, holley, and a hei or will free turn into another 3000 dollar project?

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the crossfire was a limited effort from GM using two throttle bodies for more airflow in "performance" vehicles. yours is probably from a Camaro being a 305. yes, regular manifold and hei will fit/work. unless you have the original harness and computer, forget it. I always wanted to build a flat plate top and see if the base could work like the original Z-28 dual quad for Trans-am racing.

3. fms427

fms427

As a GM'er in the day, cross-fire injection was a great marketing idea, but not a very successful execution - hence the limited usage, Tended to be problematic and didn't put out that much power! You can - and should - use normal stuff.

4. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

With the injection gone (it was garbage...hence the derogatory nicknames like "Ceasefire", "Crossflood", etc), its basically just an early 80s, low performance, smogger 305. You can put a regular intake and carb on it, just be sure to replace the distributor, too, since its computer controlled also. If it runs great, and you can get it really cheap (and are ok with a 305), go for it.

5. squirrel

squirrel

years ago I got one to play with, I got it running in a 65 gmc half ton. After a while I pulled off the efi crap, put on a 2bbl carb and hei, and it ran fine.

6. Deuces

Deuces

The '82 Corvette got it also.. In fact the 305 was the biggest motor you were able to get that year in a new Vette... :(

7. iiizman

iiizman
    from Texas

thanx for the quick replies

8. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Actually, the 305 was a California-only Corvette engine in 1980, and it was carbureted. This was the only year for a 305 in any Corvette. You could only get a Crossfire 350 with an automatic in '82. 305 Crossfires were F-body only (Camaro/Firebird).

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

The 84 Corvette had it, I was GM trained on em. Junk in my opinion. There is no aftermarket "improvements" available for them. I am always shocked to see one still on the road. peace

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I remember trouncing the dogshit out of a new one in a hill climb, with my 66 Olds 442 on crappy wore out bias ply tires.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Your right! My bad.. :(

12. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Turbo City offers lots of upgrades...bigger throttle bodies, chips, etc...but for what all the upgrades cost you could convert one to a later TPI (or a carb) and have a much better setup. Agreed, junk.

13. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

worked on a few in the 80's.i always told the oweners that it would be better to convert to the older set up,but in va. they were cracking down on non stock set ups.
    but i went to ethnol in my 76 t/a and boy did that open a bag of worms.

14. Back in highschool a friends mom bought an '81 Collectors Edition Vette (silver with a fade away stripe on the door) and it had the 350 with the CrossFire Inj. It was running rough (when new) so she took it into the dealer to get it dealt with. It left the dealer running worse than when it went in. She confronted them and they admitted that they knew nothing about the new (at that time) system and were not capable of making it run better ... nice.

Anywho, I too had the same thought a while ago about getting a CrossFire intake and setting it up as a carbed crossram. Never did find an intake though.

15. Deuces

Deuces

You mean like this one???.. :D These originals are still being made today by some outside source.. For a complete new setup, it'll set you back about 8 grand... :eek: That's including new carbs from Holley, new linkage, fuel lines and aircleaner..

Attached Files:

16. Deuces

Deuces

Offy makes a nice copy of this one for about 400 bucks... I'd rather go this route for a crossram intake...

17. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

This is a Camaro crossfire intake, (not like the one pictured in the previous post.) Yes, a regular 4 barrel intake will work on that 305.
    [​IMG]
    Free is always good!

18. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Wasn't the L69 305 basically a crossfire engine w/out the funky intake and EFI?

19. Deuces

Deuces

Your half right... The intake pictures I posted were made for Camaros also.... The pic you posted looks like a plumber's nightmare... :eek:

20. iiizman

iiizman
    from Texas

thanks yall the info is appreciated...

21. cal1320

cal1320
    from Florida

The Crossfire intake has very small ports. They are half the size of the port in the head. However that does not make it all bad. For low speed cruising and general driving it works well. Just dont think its a race manifold. I had an 82 Z28 with the crossfire. Between the cam and manifold it was all out of breath at 4250 RPM.