Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anglia gasser color /name ???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prost34, Dec 5, 2010.

1. prost34

prost34

OK guys/gals,i need some input,i need a killer name and color for my anglia gasser,she was raced from 67-70 at south ohio dragstrip,cant find any info on the car,originally it was yellow (yuck),,
    it has a hillborn injected 327,muncie m21,olds rear,magnesium spindle mounts,cal custom scoop,,,i want to match the color with my 48 coe ramp truck for a killer combo,late 1960,s era,,,,

Attached Files:

2. I would leave it as a survivor and distress the lettering...call it the 'Killer B' as in b gas.....

3. prost34

prost34

i was thinking maybe a candy cobalt,but i been seeing allot that color

Attached Files:

4. Bad ass car!

When I was a kid, there was an an Anglia gasser running in Michigan that was kind of a rootbeer brown with gold accents and gold leaf lettering. I can remember that thing leaving the line with the wheels 2 ft in the air every time. It was a sharp car and would be different! Sorry, the only pics I have are ones etched in my mind!

I'm building a late '60's Topolino altered right now and trying to figure out what to do for paint also. FYI, mine is wearing the exact same Hilborn injection and 'vette valve covers.

5. prost34

prost34

i thought about it,but a yellow coe?,,oof,,

Attached Files:

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If you Feel the need to Destroy the Cars Original Character, Don't want to Find the History & restore it BACK to what it is & Have already Picked out a Color.......

Why are you here to ask everyone else how to Ruin History ?

Cars Like these should be RESTORED to formory Glory.

If a Guy wants to CHANGE a History car, He should do it without anyone knowing.

Just my Opinion though.

7. I can't believe that no one in the area knows or remembers anything about the car. I would search a bit more, beat the bushes, go on the gasser sites etc until I found. I went through the same thing with mine ~ it took me 14 years to find out (well about 4 years of serious searching), but it was well worth it in the end. I eventually found a picture on the internet that gave some clues. It was flat black when I bought it and the guy I got it from had No information at all about the history, so I had even less to go on than you. This is what it turned out to be;
    [​IMG]

8. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

With the way you brought the front end up; call it "Death Trap"!!!
    seriously do you understand the wheelbase on that thing combined with the weight transfer your giving it is just asking for a eulogy.
    Think before you try to be cool!

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

how do ya know thats not the way it was when he bought it! dam give the guy a break hes looking for a color, i agree with you yellow is not the color, look threw royal shifters old thread on drag cars in motion on the message board, more choices for colors on there than anywhere! if the car had some good history, then it would be right to go back to former glory, but if it dont or you cant find any then do your thing! looks like a neat car, i missed out on one like that from my area awhile back, bur i have my own project to get finished. have fun with it.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

There is no way that car was like that pus you can see the new front end. Anglias never were that high in the front. The NHRA didn't even allow them to run blowers for several years because they were unstable. If the front was that high so would the rear because it was running a small motor, like straigh tsix but this car will be more than a handful to drive or not driveable at all with an injected 327. Now before I look like a real a**hole I am assuming the engine is in it in the pics with the front end on.

Just trying to help before he gets to far.
    Don't believe me google anglia gasser

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  11. cheveey57

cheveey57

Anglias for some reason look good in dark colors. I would lower the nose & start making your own history with her........

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Keep the yeller paint and like suggested above in stressed condition name it.

LemonJection
    Paint the COE Black Silver with Yeller highlights Name the COE
    Lemonaid

13. Paint it black, red plexiglass windows, and lettering with some gold leaf. Call it "New Beginnings". My .02 cents worth.

14. i would paint the anglia yellow and black, red, blue, green or any other color you like and paint the coe that second color with yellow high- lights

15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yellow, name: Banana Ram It

16. 61 chevy

61 chevy

black and red, the DEVIL CATCHER

17. George

George

Gasser: Methane Green!

18. Maybe not quite as high as his appears in the pictures but some were pretty far up there;[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. pdc

pdc

I had the pleasure of watching the rebuilt "Golden Angel" run at U.S. 60's HotRod reunion. It was a handful, it got out of kelter quick off the line.

20. Stogy likes this.
  21. NoFriends310

NoFriends310

after reading your "Found" article on Gasser Madness site, couldnt the owner have given you a little more depth to the history of it "race" wise? Reading a little between the lines, doesnt sound as if it made any true fame for itself. If thats the case, I would personally paint and do whatever you please with it...drive it til the wheels fall off!

22. dont let em talk you into lowering that car. you see the pic of anxios there, thats my best freinds car street driven to and from the track 502 bbc with a th350 uncap the headers run low 10s with gas allday replace caps run home in the outside lane porsch baiting all the way never ever a problem i crewd that car till the day he sold it. if he had listend to the dont do it its dangerous brigade he wouldnt even have got the grinder out.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lots of Anglias (and other gassers) were high. Remember Ohio George's 33 Willys? It sat way up there, and ran fast and true. NHRA's rule for gassers had nothing to do with body height, it was based on crankshaft center height which stated the center of the crank could not be higher than 24" off the ground.
    Many gassers were built with engines sat so low that you could see the entire pan and most of the tranny, just so they could get the frontend high enough for good weight transfer.
    It's your car; make it whatever color you want it, and enjoy it.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

leave it as is,call it evilMcnasty

25. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

My issue with the height is not per rule but saftey. NHRA restricted Anglias from going fast until like 69 or 70 because of the short wheelbase. (other sanctioning bodies did let them run but the faster the car the lower the front) It's a physics thing.

An Anglia has a 90 inch wheel base the aformentiooned 33 is 102 and a 40 Willys is 108.

Oh as for the anxious Anglia...It's cool looking but it's a total contradiction. The car looks like a late 50's early 60's car but runs a blower so that would never have happened. Also I saw the video's of the car and you should not be happy with 10's. The car has a ton more potential. One major thing that would help is was if the front end was down about 4-5 inches. You wouldn't smoke the tires so hard like in this video.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uc3W0Pp7QE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uc3W0Pp7QE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And while wheelies are cool you could avoid this when you get on a good track.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1s1PWfcMwO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1s1PWfcMwO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Don't get me wrong... I like cool but also like cars to live up to their potential in a safe way.

Now back to the orignal question... If you are looking for a late 60's look you have a good start with the chop because chops weren't allowed till the mid sixties so... you are in the era of bringing the front end down. I would try a single color /multi shade panel job and name it "Missing Identity".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  26. prost34

prost34

yes i did start with the front end,empty block for mock up,rad,tanks,etc. it should come down to where i want it,the rear is sitting to low in the pick,has spring cups spring worn out,thats next on the list is a modern suspension ladder bar/coil overs,i did stretch the wheelbase 5 inches,,,started out to install my 871 blown big block chevy with my hillborn injection on top,but after building a anglia pro street with a 514 crate ford engine i decided to go back to a small block,that car when everywhere but straight,never knew where it was pointing after you let out of it(no i did not build that chassis,just the body paint),,,
    the previous owners brother built the car,he got it from him after he hit the wall with the straight axle,it had no real racing glory,just a budget toy raced from time to time,the brother passed away a long time ago,he put it into a barn when he moved from ohio to florida,not really a car guy,but he does race lawn mowers!!,seriously,,,i did try finding a history,no one remmembers the car even with the unusual chop,,,,,oh,did i mention i found it on craigslist for 1000.00 obo:D

Stogy likes this.
  27. prost34

prost34

i am no stranger to drag cars,i had a 80 monza super pro car that ran 9.20,s,i understand chassis cars very well,and also understand how many anglias ended up in a big round ball at the end of the track,,

Stogy likes this.
  28. A simple late 60's, early 70's Ford candy apple red with yellow tinted windows looks pretty right to me.

Attached Files:

29. Deuces

Deuces

Yummy! :)

30. Deuces

Deuces

How about re-painting it bright yellow with some black stripes across the back and call it "YELLOW JACKET"...