Register now to get rid of these ads!

People say the darndest things.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyJohn, Dec 5, 2010.

1. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

My buddy was in from Montana and he hadn't seen my car since it's been finished so I thought I would take him into town to grab some BBQ. I paid for our ribs and the guy at the window asks me, "wha kinna car is dat?". I tell him it's a model T. "Is it finished?" I laughed and said well yes. Now this is where he really cracks me up...he goes,"That looks like wanna dem dar dune buggies". He had me laughing so hard I couldn't hardly open the door to get in. What made it so funny was that he was completely serious!
    I know it's a pitiful thread, but I had to share it...dune buggie?!?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

gotta love them "back-woods" people!! :D

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back when I was young and handsome my buddy at work had a chopped, fenderless Model A. this was back in the good old days before everyone and thier brother had a chopped fenderless model A.

someone else did a big burnout in the parking lot at work and left about 100 feet of tire marks. the douchebag boss called my buddy in and accused him of doing it. he asked him WTF he was talking about and the stupid fuck says "well, don't you drive that dune buggy?"

this was like 1980 when actual VW powered Dune buggies were still fairly common... I'm thinking that's a "whole 'nuther" kind of stupid than what might come from the regular civilians.

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I'm not sure why but we called the jalopys we built when I was a kid dune buggys. But then we ran them all over hell and off road a lot.

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Dirty John, you've got the fastest dune buggy I've ever seen!

6. ATTENTION HAMBERS! Next years Roundup is going to be held in either Glamis, California, or Pismo Beach Sand Dunes

7. I am in a small town, a little less than 5,000 people, I drive Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup pretty often, everybody around here knows my truck, so I can't go anywhere I don't want to be seen. Drove Henrietta to the grocery store a while back. As I'm loading the groceries in the back, young guy asks me what model the truck is, I tell him it's a '38. "You drive it on the road???" he asked/exclaimed. I told him, "Yeah, that's the only way I've figured out to get it from here to my house."

8. bb1970

bb1970

I had my '65 Rivi at a little cruise night. A guy walks up and says " that is a good lookin' Plymouth you got there". I smiled and said "thanks".

9. Deuces

Deuces

Some folks just don't know.........

10. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

It seems as though every time I took my '29 Ford roadster out for a ride some one would ask a funny question. Usually at gas stations. Like "is that a kit car??". Yes sir, Henry Ford put it together in 1929.
    "Is that a T bucket??". Does it look like a T bucket??? Then it must be a T bucket!!:rolleyes: "Is that the original motor??? 301 chevy small block. Of course.
    It is easier to agree with them than it is to argue with "em.;):D

11. There is a big difference between people who genuinely don't know, and ask question like is that the original motor when it's not. For those people I tell em a straight answer. Try to educate them.
    For the "Dune Buggy" type guy I just smile and say Thanks, for there is no helping these types. If they don't know a Hot Rod from a Dune Buggy, then ignorance is bliss.

12. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

While driving my 1939 Ford pickup every day for 17 years, a woman asked me, "Is it legal to drive that?"

13. X2
    I have people come up to me looking at my Ranchero and say "nice El Camino" all the time. It has all the nameplates on it so you'd think they could at least read...

I quit correcting them a long time ago, so I just say "thanks".

The best part is the astonished look on the faces:confused: of the people around me thinking "why don't you correct them?"

Ignorance is Bliss...:rolleyes:

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

x3

I've had Rancheros since 71. Sometimes its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

15. 32Gnu

32Gnu

It is funny what people THINK they are looking at...
    I was sitting with Deuce Roadster next is his 3 window in Charlotte and a guy walks up and asks "what year is it?"
    Now I could understand if it was anything other than a 32...
    I am sure he has been asked a million times..

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ignorance being bliss, well there's an epidemic of happy mofos out there lately. Enjoy it. Some of it would be immpossible to make up!

17. George

George

And when I'm actually driving a XC Falcon Ute
    it really gets going.....

18. My Model T isn't painted yet, thats the next thing on the agenda, bodywork and paint.
    If ONE MORE person calls it a "Rodent Rod" (sorry, Ryan, can I get away with that?) I'm gonna come unglued...

19. Don't come unglued, just politely educate them. I have done just that and you would be surprised. Usually they thank you for letting them know the difference. :)

20. I think we may need a ranchero encounter thread for every time a dumb ass.....I mean unobservant person says something worth sharing. I drive my 1965 ranchero every day. Usually I get the standard one's "Hey nice El camino!, Is that like the first El Camino? And the bozo's guessing the year wrong and telling me about their friends 800hp wheel standing street Ranchero (seriously I am not making this last one up." Last week I got a new one. I was at the gas station filling up, and this older lady is checking out my car and says "I like your car". I said thanks and kept on about my business, but noticed her studying my car with a puzzled look on her face. After a while she said to "I remember the falcons when I was younger, but we had the whole car".

21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Had my 33 "CHEVY" 3 window at a show and a guy walks up to it and knocks on the cowl while saying "IS THIS THING STEEL?" (yes he was yelling) I politely ask him not to knock on anyone's car because its a good way to get a good ass woopin! Then as he was leaving another guy walk up to me and says nice FORD!:eek: I just bit my tongue, shook my head & walked away. The ignorance of the general public is astonishing to me.

22. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

My own wife layed the dune buggie on me. I told her, now mide you i'm building a lakes modified, "when that thing is done gonna throw a bag of clothes in and run down to see John in Tennesee". She looks at me like I said FLY TO THE MOON, and replies," you're gonna dive that on the big road?! I thought you were building a dune buggie!" I nearly stroked out, when I quit seeing spots and the roaring subsided in my ears I took a breath and replied......"have you ever met me? Have I ever said dune buggie? And THE BIG ROAD? what am I, 5 years old? We still laugh about this, and when I say we I mean her and my buddies.

23. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

don't feel bad folks, when i had both of my o/t cars, i always got the same question of 'what year is it?'

now here's the kicker, the 66 chevelle had vanity plates that said 1QUICK66 and the 71 camaro ss had A 71 SS. not to mention the car show 'paper' on the windshield listing the year and make, lol.

24. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

years ago I was towing my sprint car on an open trailer and had to make a gas stop-the guy at the station asked "is that one of them tractor pullers?"It took a long time to live that down with my crew!

25. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I vote Pismo!! lol :D

That is probably the best one I have ever heard!! I need a new keyboard after that!! :eek:

26. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I was visiting Stockholm Sweden 1998 driving my 27/28 Chevy roadster with 283. It had tunnelram with dual carbs and a nasty cam rumble and I was stopped in traffic. No hood so engine was clearly seen. Pedestrian asked if I had V6 engine and I replied count the plug wires again.

27. big bad john

big bad john

.......I had a old couple came up to my 39 Ford coupe and said that they made love in a coupe just like mine.....they were 92.......

28. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

:eek: I would have had to ask "how long ago was this" as I was cleaning my seat.;) :D

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I would have said, "not the way I drive it"