Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60 Elcamino turned fenderless hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Docfranknstein, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Thank You Menacekustoms for posting the pic from The Winfield/Watson show, all of My photo's from the show are to large to post here. DrKerry, nice model car, I liked the in progress shot a few pages back and really like Your completed pix, very cool. Here is a fast update, I'm working on the rear cover and the hinge assembly, I'm using a pair of hood hinges so the cover opens and lifts away from the body, I'm using a trunk lacth to hold it shut and will tuck & roll the uph like My seat, in the meantime I'm still smoothing out the rest of the body in prep for the metal flake. Von Doc

2. Hey Mike!! Merry Christmas!

The car is looking sweet.. Just too cool.. Get some update pics!! later..... Mark

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Doc, Looks like you are in yhe final stretch on your Camino build. Looking forward to seeing it complete in the near future.

41 Dave

4. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

This car looks alot like a Dave Bell rendering or is it just me?

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I was never tempted to get an elko until now, I like it.

6. Don't mean to be a pest, but any updates?

7. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Progress has been slower than I'd like, but atleast it's progress'in. " Rockman Dave" and I tackled making the windsheild and back window with 1/4 inch plexy and 2 heat guns, and only burned a couple fingers in the process( thru welding gloves even). It was a long time ago that I was an int trimmer, and I may not be the best, but I am the cheapest best one I know, so I dusted off the old Singer and sticthed up the frontseat and bed cover,(that's old school tuck& roll stuffed one pleat at a time by the way) I had to angle cut the front corners so the cover would open and shut with-out hitting the body, and I still need to heat up the bed cover and pull out the wrinkles, maybe when I can roll it outside. I also drilled out My new blower drive pulley, and made up the front wire harness, the "Sonic Needle" should move off the slab in the lab under it's own power to go to the Winfield & Watson show, for show info go to www.rodtossers.com Von Doc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cool :cool:

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I've heard from a good source that the Sonic Needle has a new home!!

10. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

No-respect You herd wrong, I have not sold this car nor do I intend too, I did however get another 60 Elky from Gene Winfield, I traded Him My 56 Ford, maybe somebody got that stuff mixed up. is that where " the info" came from? here is another angle on the front with both windshield havles in place, note the clean joint down the middle. here is the tinted speedo, is had a clear lens and black face but I changed the face to silver and tinted the lens green. Von Doc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

To Bonez and Superfleye , the Model A belongs to My son Travis aka "Sleepwalker", progress has stopped for now on His car because He is in the service, He has got about 2 years left on His 4 year hitch. here are a couple pix from around the time of the open house/party at My place, funny story about the back end We used on His car, a guy I know had the back end of a 58 and 59 , He told us 200 bux for the 58 and 20 bux for the 59, We went with the 20 spot.Von Doc

Attached Files:

12. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I'm happy to see an update Doc! I'm sure we all are! Take some more pictures of the entire project and let us see the whole car, it looks like you have more stuff painted than the last update.

Hope to see it finished soon! Great job on the windshield/back-glass!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

13. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Well it's allmost ready to start, I did'nt want the extra height of a carb adaptor then carb/s and then scoop, so I made up this adaptor plate that mounts the carb inside the scoop, and then holds the scoop down, as always I'm also the best, cheapest, machinest I know. here are some pix, check out the fade job on the scoop. Von Doc

Attached Files:

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the nay-sayers, at least he didn't do this:

Attached Files:

• MEC.jpg
      MEC.jpg
      File size:
      91 KB
      Views:
  15. JimSwann

JimSwann

I was prepared to hate it from the begining, but it is growing on me. Definately thinking outside "the box". Lots of great custom touches.

16. that is nuts.. i love it

17. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I finnally lit the motor up today, at first while cranking it over the blower stopped turning, I got worried that something fell in it and pulled the carb and adaptor, but nothing was in there, then I remembered I had not tightin'd up the back cover, oops, no harm done ,so after the carb was back , cranked it off and varooom she lit right up, atleast at the Winfeild & Watson show it will move it's self around. Von Doc

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  18. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I love this ride. I always wonder whats up with it. This is a must see in person type of ride thats definately gonna rock when it's done.

19. What a bad ass car. Amazing.

20. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

After the Watson & Winfield show I found out why the Needle was'nt runn'in right, the accel-o-rator pump was'nt squirt'in, damn! that is a fresh rebuilt, so I've picked up another to rebuild, if this don't get it I may swipe the carb adaptor and twin Carter's off the Hemi, wish Me luck. p.s. I'm gonna shoot some more flake on Her soon, when I do I'll take some pix, but right now I really wanna drive it some. Von Doc

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I wondered what happend to this, glad to hear you're still at it!

Brian

22. gary9202

gary9202

Im surprised this is not a HOT WHEELS car.....pretty cool doc

23. amazing project indeed!

24. NWRacing

NWRacing

I was going to do something like this with an early ranger but thought it could go really bad really fast so I wisely (for me) passed. If I thought it would have looked half as cool as yours I'd kick my self for sellin it. Sweet ride more pix soon!

25. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Doc, How about some progress/driving video's ? What ever ypu do bring us up to date.

Dave

27. RichG

RichG

Then what?

28. gonmad

gonmad

Then it's a KILLER show rod.......like it is!!

29. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

im not digging it yet....but i'll keep an open mind till its done

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

fo' shizzle'.