Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is anybody here "in the know" about '60s/'70s model car kits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Dec 4, 2010.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Is anybody here "in the know" about '60s/'70s model car kits? Just so there is no confusion, I mean kits made in the '60/'70s. I have been told that some folks even collect just boxes. I was cleaning out some of my dad's old model stuff and am planning to sell it for him. I am hoping someone here is involved in that scene and can steer me in the right direction. I guess what I want to know is; 1. Are these worth anything or are not in this horrible economy? 2. Where is a good place to sell them?(ebay appears to be a joke for selling these)
    I have several cool '60s boxes that are basically just the box. I also have an opened but complete(to the best of my knowledge) and unassembled model of the Badman '55 Chevy and a nearly complete(missing 3 tires) model of the Car Craft Dream Rod that was painted and started to be assembled.
    If it will help, I can get some pictures when I get a camera to function again.
    Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
    midnightrider

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Dude, my old man gave me a 61 pontiac Ventura model in the box. About 15 years ago I decided that I would sell it. I took it to a model show, just walked around with it. The guys went gaga over it, they came to me at the show. Well this was one of 12 of a collection for the year, I got 175 for it it was half built this is 15 years ago, The guy who bought it from me put it on his table for 575.00, These guys go nuts for the stuff the box was worth 300.00, even if they are painted the guys take them ,blast them and put them back on the tabs and reseal the box in cello. Trust me, take this stuff to a model club show or an event, you may have thousands of dollars worth of stuff there. And, this was 15 years ago.

3. racemad55

racemad55

It had to be a bonneville , amt never made a ventura,should have,more desirable,my unbuilt one is in my showcase next to an unbuilt 61 vette,61 Impala,& 61 ford, how much money am I sitting on ? boxes are mint!

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Some are worth money, some are not....The Badman model was re released, so that puts the value down

5. Deuces

Deuces

Lets start posting picture guys.... I have a few rare ones from Monogram I'll post a little later tonight... :)

6. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I've got hope that the Car Craft Dream Rod may have a decent value even with the tires missing just because I haven't ever seen another one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I don't think these are rare, but I will probably never get around to assemblng.
    Maybe a couple but not likely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

this could be interesting

9. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I built a lot of YoHan kits back in the day,.. they had some cool kits.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I am not so sure it was an AMT, it was for sure a Ventura and I am 90 % certain it was a 61.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

JoHan.

an unbuilt kit is a waste of potential. my 2 cents.

kinda like buying Playboy and never looking at the pictures.

12. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I recently purchased 4 complete models from the early 60's all are complete unbuilt in the original boxes 1962 Ford Galaxie hdtp, 1963 Ford Pick-up(missing the go-cart), 1963 Nova Station Wgn, and a 1962 Buick Skylark Station Wgn. I paid $215.00 from a hobby shop for all of them, not each of them. As stated earlier the "BADMAN" has been re-issued and isn't worth a whole lot, the "Dreamrod" is cool but any value would have to be based on how it was assembled and painted. Just my 2 cents.

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Well it's better than if you collected beer cans, I sold my Old Chicago Dark 16 oz unopened from "78 for 450 bucks, I bet that would taste like mule pee about now.

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

as a kid, I only bought AMT kits

15. StudebakerBob

StudebakerBob
    from Lapeer MI

I worked at AMT when I was 19. The factory was in Troy Michigan at that time. I used to bring home cases of model cars. If the case was damaged they would sell them to employees for next to nothing.

I met my wife there. I don't have any of those model kits anymore but I still have her. Priceless!!!

16. 32coupe

32coupe
    from michigan

sold an unbuilt dream rod in box unbuilt for 175.00 on ebay earlier in the year.

17. Considering a new kit in a hobby shop is 20 to $25 they are not worthless.

18. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Here are pics of what I have mentioned. The Badman is the first issue I believe. It says 1969 on the box.

Attached Files:

19. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I hate to say it, but your best bet is probably fleabay. A fellow HAMBer, Moriarity, owns the actual Dream Rod. You might PM him to see if he's interested in that kit. Good luck, regardless. I know what it's like scratching for dough in this economy.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just got the AMT 40 Ford sedan off ebay thats probably from the 70s unopened but its now out of the box and getting built,I know a few people that only collect them and never build them but no me as I like seing them done and on the shelf.

21. if the badman has red titnted windows and scoop its the first edition its worth a little bit more then the clear window version
    the 63 customizing kit should be worth something and the 40 willys /32 ford kit could bring some money

if the car the model is based on is popular then most likly the kit is popular and pricey it depends on how often the kit was re-released and how many changes were done to it in the re-releases

most odd ball models like staion wagons have a bit or value

if you have original annual kits made by MPC which were the brand new model year cars they have some significant value especailly if they are mint (sealed)

johan mopar kits are valuble for the most part except for the 71 (sox and martin cuda) its been released a lot

mopar kits usually hold thier value accross the board

id be interested in buying models i have a few thousand unbuilt kits

the person who posted the pic of the 57 fairlane id be interested in that kit , just saying

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The 40 32 is it unbuilt?

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

many moons ago my good friend HEMI32 had a box of his models he was going to throw away. knowing I am a scrounge and a pack rat he offered them to me. all of them were built but few were painted. I had them sitting around for 15 years and sold them on ebay in little groups and got about $150.00 for them.

now that ebay has driven it's sellers and buyers from the site the prices are not as good as the old days, but that would be your best bet. those are some collectible kits. I've sold many models besides the HEMI32 collection and did well.

24. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

I had that double "t" around 62 or 63.

25. Deuces

Deuces

You the man!!!!!!!!!!!... :)

26. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

That one just has some misc parts in it(the Willys body is there but has for some reason been cut in pieces). The only ones that have the complete kits in them are the Dream Rod and the Badman. The rest just have a few misc pieces left in them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  27. pitts64 those 2 should be worth some coin the bonneville more, only becuase the t-bird has been started

midnightrider78 does the badman have red windows? if it does id be interested in it if you want to sell

28. Deuces

Deuces

My Badman model was destroyed by a couple of black cats.. :( :D

29. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I believe the Badman '55 is the first issue. It says 1969 on the box and yes the window plastic is red.