Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have times like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fbama73, Dec 4, 2010.

1. fbama73

fbama73

Where it seems like everything in the world is working against building your car?

The whole front suspension/brakes overhaul on the Chevy has taken longer than expected. Planned to finish up the brakes and get the front wheels back on over the four day Thanksgiving weekend. I'm really excited to see how much the "lost" coil drops the front end of it.

And, two hours before the end of my last shift before the holiday, I torqued my back. Spent most of the weekend in varying degrees of discomfort, though I DID manage to get the drums out for turning and painted them once they were done.

So today (my weekend is Fri/Sat) I got out to the garage, fired up the heater, and had big plans to get the thing back on the ground today, and bleed out the brakes tomorrow. I also was given a toolbox full of vixen files to clean up. Got the bearings packed, and the first drum on, and ran out of propane in my heater. Wife and daughter showed up with dinner about that time, so I planned to stuff my face, then off to get some more propane and get back at it.

Of course, after dinner, a migraine set in. I suspect that might have been from the brake cleaner I was using to clean the hubs, in case any grit from the turning got in. I have found a type of aerosol penetrating oil that really fucks me up badly. (Thankfully, it's just Zep stuff from work, not WD or PB!) This is a new to me brand of brake cleaner, and I'm wondering.

Anyway, I'm just venting a bit. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time. /rant

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

happens all the time around here....won`t give ya any grief about it.....go ahead and vent.......ya know when i was younger i used to be immune to all those chemicals, now a little older, more and more of them bother me all the time....donno

3. Everything I try to do gets fucked up somehow. If I plan to put my car in the building in the morning one of my customers will call and have to have a car done to go to the sale the next day. Have not had my car in the building in 3 months. Oh yeah, had three weeks off, but could'nt work on car, had pneumonia. Nough said. If it not one thing it's a thousand.

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

It's not you, I have those days all the time.

Man I can remember the days that things have gone right when working on my car. I've had 2 of them in the last 3 years.

The rest of the time it seems like the whole fucking world is conspiring against me getting to work on it.

5. moparkevin

moparkevin

I feel ya... Today there was snow everywhere, and it still is falling. I shoveled and shoveled... still I had to get to the garage to get somethings done.. right..? About 15 min. into my welding on a 650 triumph motor stand.. SHHHHHUUUOOOMP.......... no more propane.. sob. I also feel your pain.. now back inside going crazy.

6. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

yea happens everyday for me. check out my build threads

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I aint complainin' cause alot of good shit has happened to me this year (birth of my daughter, upgraded the house, promotion at work) but alot of bad shit has happened as well....(birth of my daughter was 2.5 months early, 3 surgery's and over 3 months hospital stays, deaths of 3 family members etc)

Dude, my whole year is shot....the truck I wanted done in a year will be lucky to get done in two and a half years....

BUT, it aint eating nothing, it aint goin anywhere, as much as I want to work on it now....Priorities man...family first, self second, work third, and everything else after that....It'll be there when you get to it....

As I always say, Dont sweat the petty stuff.....pet the sweaty stuff....

8. dirty custom 40

dirty custom 40
    from new mexico

Know exactly how you feel.Its the little stuff that aggravates you once it starts piling up.Migraines dont help either.I still get them now and then.Been doing heavy collision since 1975.Ive had it with cars.I havent been in my shop unless absolutely necessary in well over 2 years.Ive been "banging" my right headlight everyday for the last 4 months to make it work cause i didnt have the energy to replace it till last weekend.It seems anything involving tools and thought is a chore these days.All i wanna do is drive my car.Tired of working on stuff.Get yours road worthy and enjoy the hell out of it.A respirator will help with the chemicals and avoiding an instant headache.

9. fbama73

fbama73

Well, I have a recently discovered (in the past 4 hours) trick for migraine relief- wrap a heating pad around your head. Wife bought it for the back, turning out to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Now, off to the quicky mart for some propane- need to get the old girl back on her feet! We have a few inches of fresh global warming on the ground so far, but that won't stop me.

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I know what you're going through. I suffer migraines every now and then, usually when I have to get something done. I think tension brings them on for me. I had them when I was in my late teens and they went away but have come back in the last five years and more frequently recently, I'm 48 now.

As for doing a project and getting no where. I've been trying to work on my car since last summer. I'd get something done on it then work and family gets in the way. Now my wonderful family, my oldest son and in-laws, has dropped a major farm related project on me that I told them I wanted nothing to do with because of past bad experiences with these people, mainly my in-laws. Every project with them costs me a great deal of time and money and all I hear is bitchin'. This is a major project that I can't afford but that doesn't matter to them. Add to this I have a huge workload at my business (non auto related) which has been dead up until about two months ago and then the dam opened and I'm getting work from all over. I'm happy I have the business and was hoping to get myself from under the debt I've run up in the last year while business has been dead but now every penny I've made is going into the financial sink hole of a farm project.

Oh yeah, don't forget about spending more time chasing back and forth to the home improvement center when you forgot the $2 part that every part of the project centers around. That's the worst part of doing any improvement project.

11. I never have those problems! Life is perfect here all the time. :p

12. Not trying to sound un-sympathetic (because I'm not), but.. It's called life.

13. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Rule no 1. If you think it will take an hour, figure on two.
    Rule no 2. If you think it will take a grand, figure on two.
    Murphy's law always trumps all best layed plans!

14. oldman2

oldman2

I know the feeling, was going to finish up a job yesterday, didn't have enough steel to finish, my metal guy is closed on Friday, now I have to wait till Monday. Life is a "bitch" and then it gets better??

15. fbama73

fbama73

True

16. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

No Shit.... I had commited to a buddy to originally rewire and plumb the brakes to get his car to his wedding. I had to have a tooth extracted, got strung out on pain meds, then doctors switched me from a 10 mg hydrocodone every 3 hours to a 5 mg codine every 6, over dosed on codine, then got flu sick all in about a 3-4 week period...

now I am having to fix the stuff he had to get someone else to do wrong to get the car to his wedding... I wish I could have worked through all of that.

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I can sympathize with those migranes.. They are debilitating.
    Crap goes wrong for all of us. Its life. My next door neighbor loves cars and has Cerebral Palsy. He'd give anything to be out in a cold shop working on his brakes.
    I remind myself of things like this every time I'm having a bad day. I cheer up pretty fucking quick! The brakes will get done and then sumpin else will break. Learn to laff it off and enjoy your time.

18. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I can relate. I am 41 and injured my back about 10 years ago. I am in constant pain that makes me sick to my stomach and hard to get motivated. . I have a spinal cord stimulator implant in my back to help me keep working. I am much slower and just slowly plug away at my stuff now. I have been getting rid of my other projects so I can keep up with my '42 Chevy. Life gets in the way of our fun that is for sure. Just keep it up , you will get it done.

19. fbama73

fbama73

Good perspective adjustment! It seemed like I was being whiny when I did the original post.

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets see, in the last two months I have lost almost everything I owned when it was stolen out of storage. Re fractured a vertebra in my back, dislocated my shoulder 3 times and am now booked in for major surgery where they have to replace much of the joint itself, lost my job in the emergency department because of my injuries, have been screwed over by Veterans Affairs who are supposed to be paying me a pension and I recieved a court summons for an unpaid fine as I am not earning and cant pay up right now. My car ran out of rego and I cant afford to re-new it and lastly and without doubt the worst I lost a very very dear friend who died serving the country.
    We all have bad periods, but just remember that a situation is relative to the person. I haven't suffered more than anyone else, you see maybe I have experienced more severe incidents but to another who suffered a less severe incident the psychological and emotional strain is just the same as they are suffering at their worst as well.

No matter what happens there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. So long as you are alive things will always get better.

Doc.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See, no matter how bad you think it may be there is ALWAYS someone in a much worse situation. I find it helps yourself to help those doing it tougher than you. Makes you feel at least useful.
    Look at guys like Kripfink, I have so much respect for Paul because he isn't letting his disability stop him and he is not moping around blaming everyone for it. He is pro active, upbeat and obviously a strong person.

Doc.

22. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Nope, you're not alone, happens to all of us. Like others have mentioned, things can ALWAYS be worse, way worse. Usually a short break from the project gets me back where I need to be.

If that doesn't work, I watch this:

23. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Last February, my 81 YO Dad was in the hospital having major heart problems and multiple surgeries. We thought he was not going to make it for several weeks! My Aunt, at 79 fell and broke a hip and several ribs about the same time. She was in the other hospital across town. Most spare time after work was spent between the two hospitals. Then I slipped on ice. Fell HARD and broke my right arm and snapped the main tendon in my right shoulder as well as twisting my knee and major bruising. The next week, my wife lost her job suddenly and unexpectedly. Her income made about 40% of our combined household $$! I had to have surgery and was out of work for about 12 weeks. For a while, I thought life as I know it was about over! However, Dad and my Aunt have recovered. Dad has since had his Model A repainted. My shoulder surgery was successful and I came out of therapy with almost total use of my shoulder and am still working on regaining my strength. Things are MUCH better now. The Wife has still been unable to find another job, so money is too tight to be able to spend much on my hobby cars, but I am happy that our whole family came through this trying time. I give credit to God for answering prayers and taking care of us through the trying times! Now I guess I am back to bitching because I cant afford to spend much money on my toys! LOL, Human nature at work. :)
    I really am thankful, just have a grouchy disposition....

24. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A little HAMB group therapy can benefit many of us. For those of us with relatively minor problems, we can see that some of us are really in a tough situation. Those who are truely between the proverbial rock and a hard place can share their experience with others who have been there and survived ... a chance for mutual support and the thought that there is hope for the future can't hurt.

I have no legitimate complaints other than some minor physical ailments that make it too easy to have an excuse not to go out to the garage and work on my car. Mostly it's my body beginning to wear out. The hardest part of any task under the car is getting back up off the floor!

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Newton's Law of Motion Mechanics as applied to people:

Objects that sit on their ass tend to remain sitting on their ass.

A couch that fits ones ass will tend over time to develop magnetism.

While lying flat gravity is most severe, causing the over whelming feeling of not being able to over power it.

Those who tend to do absolutely nothing due to lack of money would tend to do absolutely nothing with money.

Watching Ice Road Truckers is not a task of the day.

Per the marine corp guy who taught my gym class in second grade to his class of 2nd graders, per his exact words, "Are you F#$ing cold? Are you F%$#ing tired, you little pu&^%ies, run around the block six times and you won't be cold anymore, I'm gonna run you little Pu%$#ies till I run the tired out of you!

When I feel down and like the world has given me a kick in the nut sack and I just can not justify why life has been so god damn unfair to me I visit the children's hospital. I realize how just unfairly lucky I have been to have lived my 46 years and I usually make a big donation, cry my fu*&ing eyes out for some poor kid with no family and that seems to solve my stupid cry baby tantrum. Feeling bad? Donate to a children's charity right now, A man can do no greater thing than to help a child.

26. fbama73

fbama73

True, but when Lisa fell out of the cute tree, she hit EVERY branch on the way down!

Garage is airing out at the moment- still had a whiff of that brake cleaner when I went in to get the propane tank to get exchanged. Gonna air it a bit before I heat it up, just in case that brake cleaner was what knocked me on my arse. And I'll clean the other hub outside!

27. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

[Per the marine corp guy who taught my gym class in second grade to his class of 2nd graders, per his exact words, "Are you F#$ing cold? Are you F%$#ing tired, you little pu&^%ies, run around the block six times and you won't be cold anymore, I'm gonna run you little Pu%$#ies till I run the tired out of you!

In today's world of nanny mentality and political correctness, the guy would probably be in jail or on a registered sex offenders list...

28. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

From thanksgiveing till new years always is hard, the days are short its cold. Everybody has cabin fevor and wants to do stuff theve put off. I got a birthday in it. Then theres the personal stuff, like getttin toilet paper or going to the feed store, onl a half hour of light left and the dogs have tore some shit up and now i gotta deal with that. Then the girlfriend comes home and brakes the f-ing gate, then bitches and wants me to fix the internet. I try to see theses days coming and give up early in the day.

29. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Try being self employed and build hot rods for fun, plus a family. If one day in twenty goes as planed I feel blessed.

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I'm with you! self employment and family commitments have crippled my own rod building plans for years! I even had to sell my project a few years ago, Just getting started again now my girls are older!