Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop Carb ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fleetline, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 51fleetline

51fleetline

i have a quick ? for all u tech guys....
    here goes....i have a 53 chevy with a straight six...my car will start right up but once i put it in drive. car dies....??? what should i do? :confused:

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

tune up the carb......does it have a choke?

3. 51fleetline

51fleetline

4. Filter? Float sinking?

Personally I would try to track down a Carter YF for a Chevy before rebuilding the Rochester, if you still have the B on there. The YF is a better carb all around.

5. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

well, if it has gotten cold recently, and no choke, it will die alot til it gets warmed up, going throught the same thing here right now, got cold, car no run.......

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Vacuum leak will do that too.

7. 51fleetline

51fleetline

its not cold here...at all...it was about 68 degrees today..dont know what type of carb. but ill check it out...

8. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

its colder in california then exas....holy shit.......yeah, make sure it is still gettin fuel, make sure the fuel filter isn`t clogged up, take off the filter, see if you can see it squirting when u hit the throttle......

9. 51fleetline

51fleetline

well ...the thing is the car will start right up...if i leave it in park the car stays on...but once i put it in drive....sucker dies

10. 51fleetline

51fleetline

oh yeah ..im in far west texas...doesnt get cold here..im sure its cold as hell in other parts of texas..just not here..thank god

11. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

hmmm......hard to say by hearing, let it warm up for a bit idling ad then see what happens when you try to go........could have internal carb problems...would need a rebuild.....

12. 51fleetline

51fleetline

yeah i let it warm up for about 20 mins...car stayed on...but then died once i put it in drive

13. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

hmm.....turn the idle up a bit, then check it in gear....

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Check your fuel flow from the tank to the pump and onward. Your fuel filter bowl make be staying full but the bowl in the carb is running dry. When there is more load on the engine it takes more fuel to make it run. The diapraghm in the pump could be bad. Take the fuel line off of the filter bowl and check how much gas is being pumped. If the pump is good it should shoot gas over the fender. If not it will just do small squirts.

15. what low and slow said and rebuild carb . takes 30 min

16. 51fleetline

51fleetline

ive never rebuilt one...but ill give it a shot...

17. 51fleetline

51fleetline

ok...so i started the car...the fuel filter is clear so i can see that its full of gas while the car is on idle...it stays on....i got a flashlight..and looked in the carb...it looks really dry and the filter just got really full.....

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

You can get a parts kit at Autozone for 12 bucks. A Roch. single barrel is one of the easiest to rebuild. Just follow the directions and you're good to go. When you replace the gasket between the air horn and bowl make sure the float doesn't get hung up on a miss cut gasket. Happened to me and it drove me crazy for 2 wks.

Sounds like the pump isn't shooting gas into the carb like it should be. Disconnect it from the filter bowl and try to start the car. How far is the gas shooting out of the line? It should be going at least to the fender, if not, probably a bad pump.

Pull it off and see how much force it takes to move the arm. If you move it easily, the diapraghm is bad. You should also hear a really strong sounding double pump action. Pumps are about 30 bucks or so and come with a 1 year warranty.

For the carb, they will need the part number for it. Usually stamped on the back of it.

19. 51fleetline

51fleetline

sounds good...ill give it a shot tomorrow..let u guys know what happens...thanx

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Any other questions hit me up. I recently had that problem with mine and once I got it straightend out it has served me flawlessly for 6,500 miles since this past July.

21. 51fleetline

51fleetline

how do you adj the little circle spring thing for the choke?

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

There on the cover is a flathead screwdriver slot. You can adjust that there I wouldn't suggest it if the carb is not on the car. It could be set properly already. But if it's off and disassembled put it back together and adjust it on the car.