Register now to get rid of these ads!

6x2 with chokes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Dec 3, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys! Anyone running a 6x2 intake as straight or progressive linkage AND running chokes?? Would really like to see how you handled the linkage and what not for the chokes.

Specifically interested in Holley 94 setups, but Stroms would be similar, so that's okay too... Probably rarely used and for a reason, but just curious for those who have.

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. alchemy

alchemy

PM Uncle Max for the straight scoop, but I've heard the experts say that carbs like the choke plates left in place whether they are ever closed off or not. Helps to direct the flow more than the removed plate would lessen a hinder. Clear? (Leave them all in but only hook up the middle for startup purposes)

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a bitch?

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

F'n hilarious. I laughed out loud.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Scoot...should only need to choke center 2 carbs to get engine to fire...
    Didn'tknow ya needed chokes in Cali??? haha

6. choppermatt

choppermatt

I said eat your sandwhich!

7. choppermatt

choppermatt

this is kind of like a lolipop baffle in a drag pipr of a motorcycle? It changes the veloicty of the air flow. I too am going to run a 6x2 setup for SBC but most likely only the 2 centers will work the outters will be dummys. Anyone have pictures of linkage to connect the two center chokes?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I hooked up both chokes on my 2 deuce setup just because I've never seen it done. I did it for shits and giggles. My Deuce had the choke rod already there.

It will be a lot harder on 6 deuces where the carbs are side by side and not lined up. Can it be done yeah probably but it would take a lot of engineering. I suppose you could use 2 choke cables, 1 for each side but it's really unnecessary. With 2 carbs, if you floor the gas pedal twice, it'll start right up. You may need a few seconds for it to warm up before it runs smoothly but getting it to start should not be a problem. Personally I don't think it's worth the effort.

It could end up looking rather dumb. JMO

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably don't and I'm going to start out running without them, but mostly I was thinking ahead and was also just kind of curious. Hadn't really seen it done.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bwahahahaha! :D

11. Tindall

Tindall

All six of my carbs have a choke...that being said i've never had to use it to get the motor started...even in 30 degree weather. Definitely talk with uncle max, my carbs work FLAWLESSLY with straight linkage..doesn't bog down when crusin, and is the motor never skips a beat when you get on it... UncleMax is the man!

[​IMG]

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Scooter, what engine is the 6x2 setup going on, mild build,etc...remember if you need to you can pregress the outside four, also they can be of smaller venturies, ie..stromberg 81s or what ever holly makes. Stock strombergs can be jetted down and a smaller power valve..I agree 100% about the chokes being left in for better flow. You might have to run two choke cables because they are opposite of each other not in-line..
    A mild built SBC should handle 6x2 with progressive linkage..
    Would be gald to help you in any way I can...
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS....
    Duane.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You'll need a choke in Cali little brother, unless you plan on garaging that car it's entire life. Anything left outside in the cold seems to HATE to get warm. Personal experience. Either way you will have to let it idle until warm and smooth..........sorry, no turn key and vroom vroom. =O)

Progressive is nice but straight is freaking sexy. If it were my car, knowing how it'll be garaged and etc, run straight minus the choke. Unless you can find a really awesome way to run straight with choke. Never seen it, but wouldn't mind it.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would think that only one or two would even need to be opperational, your primary carbs

Im up here in the cold of Michigan, and the center of my 3x2 is the only choked carb

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I agree.......but now that Tindall's pic showed up, it's kind of neat looking, but probably more work than I'd EVER want to do.

Especially on a hot tempered Hemi.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah i dig that too, all the linkages and rods, sweet.
    probably only have to half choke that one, or maybe even less, wouldnt the other carbs pull raw fuel too with the choke butterfly closed?

17. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

i say leave the chokes out. none of the carbs on my 3x1 setup have chokes. i have started my bird in 17 degree weather with no more than 3 pumps of the gas pedal.

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

T-birds have exterior and interior fenders with a hood. That's like hot boxing an engine, a sauna if you will.

Leaving off the fenders and hood, would mean that the warmth from the engine would be lost and take longer for his Hemi to warm up..........at least that's MY assumption when you start considering ambient temp and stuff.:D

I'm a woman, I'm complicated.:D

[​IMG]

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the replies I expected at all. Interesting. I figured the reaction would be more like, "You don't need no stinkin' chokes! It's a hot rod!" Seems there are other thoughts.

The replies are also interesting regarding having the butterflies intact, rather they're used or not. I was just going to run a bolt through them, but maybe I'll reconsider and put all of them back in, but only make the middle two operational... Hmmmm.... I can run them side by side off one cable using a "dual pull". Ran one on my Triumph so I could pull the throttles on two carbs with one twist grip...

Interesting replies! Thanks guys!

Would like to see more clever connections for Holley 94's, if you have them.

THANKS!

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep... That's my Hemi... Definitely complicated, but definitely NOT as complicated as my dear sis'... :rolleyes::D;)

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Ah....right on.
    I have a 4x2 set up progressive and if needed, I just close chokes by hand on primaries...
    Usually starts right up without choking with just alot of pumping...lol.

22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I run one choke on one of the main carbs. Seems to work fine.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

97's or 94's?

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

94's

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you use a cable direct to the choke linkage?

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

An oldtimer I know has a '39 sedan with an Olds motor with six Strombergs. I noticed a golf ball laying on his intake manifold. I asked him what's up and his said that's my choke. He drops it in one of the carbs and voila!!

28. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

On my 6x2 Holley 2100's (94's). I dont run any chokes. I have a bolt going across where the choke shaft would be. I too have heard that if you take them out completely it is worse. I dont have a hood/bonnet either, so I dont get any under hood warm up.

Last week I drove it and the outside temp was 19F. I had to let it warm up a little and I upped the idle a little just to make it easier at traffic lights. I have a manual trans so I can blip the throttle as needed. My biggest problem is that I dont have any kind of heater inside the car so it was kinda chilly!

My opinion == You dont need no stinkin chokes in So Cal :D Forget em and get something else done on your car!

cheers
    ricki

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Thanks Ricki! Now go get a HEATER! :D:D

30. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

No chokes on my old set-up but had to cut fuel pressure down to 2lbs to work due to the common problem with Strongbergs "flooding out" or valve sticking. Then no high end power with 2 lbs, so blocked off front & back 2 and worked fine as a "cruiser".

Attached Files: