Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imnezrider, Dec 3, 2010.

1. imnezrider

imnezrider

I've been running Water Wetter in my flathead all summer, but now it's time to get ready for winter. Does anyone know the total capaciy of a flathead? Of course, the radiator is a bit smaller than stock, but probably not a big difference in size. My concern is that when I drain the radiator, I will get virtually none of the coolant out of the block, so I won't know how to get a true 50/50 mix when I refill. Btw, I do not intend to use the "pre-mixed" type. Thanks in advance.

2. imnezrider

imnezrider

Somebody must have an idea if they have done the same thing???

3. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have always ran 100%, then no problem.
    That should stir up a comment, any answer usually does.
    I do run straight freeze though!

4. 50/50 is a rule of thumb, but does not have to be exact. mix it, pour it in, when it's full your done.

5. I used to do that. I still dump it in straight on occaision.

As for the question I am probably wrong but I think your block has drains in it. If that's the case open the drains.

As for 50/50 mix that is a guidline. The little antifreeze testor thing is a cheap tool. Dump it most of the way full run it then test it. If it doesn't protect to cold enough add antifreeze. If its good top it off with your mix and grin.

Hey wait a minute, how cold does it get in Harper? You're near Kerrville right?

6. imnezrider

imnezrider

I haven't bothered to check for block drains. Probably just lazy, but I only have about 3" clearance under there. Funny you bring up the tester...I now remember those from when I was about 15. All mechanics (they were not called "technicians then" :)

Here's what we're talking about.....

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Au...2/c/39/sc/373/9443.uts?refineByCategoryId=373

Yeah, 30 miles north of Kerrville. Lowest so far this year has been 21 and the car is in my shop. What worries me the most is if it gets down in the teens for a few days in a row. I would be a sick puppy if my block cracked. :mad:

Thanks for all the input.

7. imnezrider

imnezrider

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I can't imagine that the block holds much more than the radiator.

8. Funny I never guessed that it got that cold there. I've riden a motor cycle through there in the winter more than once and didn't notice. Perhaps it was my state of mind.

9. I just put anti freeze in a model t that will not start. I drained the radiator and poured in the anti freeze. Then i drained it again and poured it back in. This mixed it up good enough.

10. imnezrider

imnezrider

Yeah, my wife and I rode 2 up for a few years, but my "rule" was never under 60 degrees, even with leathers. ;)

Where are you?

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

While I'm draining the old coolant, I run a hose with water into the radiator and let it run to flush the system. After that, one cup of antifreeze to one cup of water till full.

12. I'm in Kansas City. Gets damned cold here.

Sometime '77 and about '80 I took off from here the week before Thanks Giving. It was 15 degrees when I left. Headed south to OK City and then across the Pan Handle. Got caught in a freakin' storm about 60 miles out of Amarillo managed to get headed south and twisted around and somehow ended up in Kerrville. Stayed there a couple of days, met some folks that I got along with alright then made my way to El Paso and onto Calif.

I managed to get myself back into that part of the counrty at least once a year for several years after that. Good times.

13. it's called a hydrometer. no drains in a flathead block.