Register now to get rid of these ads!

A hot rod forum dies.....HRI R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PEDDRO, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I'm sorry if this has been pointed out already, didn't have the time to read the full 5 pages, but this whole problem seems so easy to overcome, just host your message board abroad, what can he do? If you're really paranoid cal it the "Pottery lovers of Liechtenstein message board".

Oh, and ASFR hate campaign 'till they boot the guy of course.

2. bcal

bcal
    from sydney

On th 9th I was contacted by our state director who had been reading the thread and wanted to post a rely refuting the claims being made but could not remember his password. I made an offer that if he were to email it to me I would post it for him straight away. I fully expected to receive his email that night.

It did not in fact arrive until the 15th by which time most of the damage had been done and the lawyers got into the act a couple of days later.

Boris, you guys were effectively left to the prowling wolves by our state director.

You need to talk to your fellow club members and your DC rep about this.

As far as I am concerned if Greg Wapling is culpable for being the host of a forum where alleged defamatory comments have been made then your state director is just as culpable, if not legally certainly morally, for doing nothing to prevent it.

3. The ASRF is more than just a hot rod organization. It is also sort of an insurance agent. Clubs desiring to hold an event need only apply for an ASRF sanction and they have their liability insurance covered. Liability insurance is prohibitively costly in OZ. Much worse than here in the US of A

ASRF also works with the gummit in helping to keep stupid motor vehicle laws from adversely affecting the hot rod populace.

That’s just some of the stuff they do.

Unfortunately, they’re nearly broke, or are headed in that direction. Enter a new guy, recruited - so I’m told – to bring the organization into the 21st century.

Apparently, the first thing he does is take it upon himself to use ASRF funds to start a sister organization for late models and that started one big shitfight.

4. You mentioned that somewhere before, but I must have misread it as I didn't realise Kim had got in touch with you so early. Looks like he must've confused your phone number with the lawyers'.

Already have and they're none to impressed. Should be a very interesting (and well attended) ASRF meeting this time around. I was told by my Club Pres that at least you're one of the blokes that gets up and has a say. Most just sit there twiddling their thumbs, probably just go to the meeting to get away from... something/someone.

Hmmm... I wonder...

Hopefully the immorality of it all is sinking in to all concerned. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how a situation that could've been handled with a 25 cent phone call has ended up costing thousands (on both sides of the battlefield).

STOOPID!!!

5. flatoz

flatoz

you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear...

no wonder people like to become a lone wolf.

any new news brootal??

6. I personally haven't heard anything. Letter would have gone off yesterday. Now it's up to 'them' (not THEM!, they're a cool bunch of guys).

Might try and forget about it for a day, it's been taking way too much brain space over the last few days.

Need to drink some beer and chill out.

7. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

It has been mentioned before and in numerous locations.

The problem is much deeper than just the server location. As it stands now their server is abroad. The problem starts with the fact that the moderators at Australian citizens and they can be held responsible for the remarks of any user on the site. Because they have provided the means for the comment to be published. Even if they do not have any real power other than they can delete or edit comments.

It would effectively be the same as if I were to take offense to something you said. I could then sue Grimlok for defamation and slander because he could have deleted your post and didn't. It all appears to be a matter of perceived omnipotence. And it was something that has been run through the Aussie courts and they had good lawyers and have now set a bad presidence.

Another example would be if I were to make one of the Aussies a moderator on the RRT they could be sued for any comments posted that someone is Oz felt was a slanderous comment. Even though the site is owned and operated by a US citizen. The only real difference is that I would not be required to provide any details or content to the court action as I am outside the courts jurisdiction.

If it looks like I have been researching this topic your right I have. I do not want to get dragged into this because the Aussies have come over to play in my backyard. I even sat down with a lawyer to see what my liability is. I have found that for the most part I am free of any but there are places I had to clean up the misinformation on my part to further limit my exposure.

8. Still not impressed. HRI is already on a foreign server, well I volunteer to be the official moderator. Guy can sue me as much as he wants.
    So, solved?

9. flatoz

flatoz

well its all over , its closed and that is that, we can only hope that in the weeks to come that something is sorted out,

seems I will be spending alot more time here now, now that is a good thing! but it was nice to have a forum that was Aussie based as we could discuss the things that differ from the hamb without boring you bloke about our rego laws etc...

10. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Go to www.hot-rod.com.au and E-mail Dave or Greg, and see what can be arranged.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yeah, and your crime went up afterwards - same here in the UK.

Enough politics though - why not just start up a new website? Sack the director, boycott the ASRF (reads like a sound you might make when barfing!) & start a new organisation.

Silliness, all.

:cool:

12. Gezzuz LizarD

Gezzuz LizarD
    from OuterSpace

I tired mentioning to them about hosting it up on an off shore server where the aussie laws dont apply but i dont think they get it, or maybe they do, who knows.

13. It ALREADY is (WAS) on an OS server. It's the moderator location that is (WAS) the problem. They're fully aware of, and working on, the problem.

14. Gezzuz LizarD

Gezzuz LizarD
    from OuterSpace

my bad

the probs with reading stuff when half asleep