Register now to get rid of these ads!

bringing a Canadian car into the US,anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordgasser1, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Looking to buy a car in Canada and bring it into the US..Can anyone offer up some advice or help?

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

3. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Randy, was it the bill of sale & TOD document that was required?

4. Canuck

Canuck

willysguy

Sold a 47 Chevy to North Dakota a few years ago. Bill of Sale to the new owner, but the Motor Vehicle guys wanted a "Title" as well. Accepted a "TOD" as a equivalent. This wasn't needed at the border, just when Rick tried to register it in his name.

Canuck

5. Straight Eight

Straight Eight
    from Howell, Mi

Just as long as the car is American made, and not made in Canada. Canadian made are a little harder to bring into the states.

6. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

bring doughnuts.

Seriously though, I sold my bluesmobile tribute to a dude in the UP of Michigan, all he needed was a bill of sale, tranfer of ownership / TOD if applicable in that particular province, and that was it, not like a Canadian bringing a US car here, I had to have the title in MY name at the US customs office the vehicle was coming through two weeks before the truck showed up, they then went out to check the vin at the US side, as did the Canadian side. Both thought I was nuts for bringing it in and paying fir it...I'll show them >>>:D

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Does anyone have info about paying duties on bringing the car here?..

8. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

No Duty. Under "NAFTA" - North American Free Trade Agreement, no duties on North American made vehicles and/or parts....

9. If the car was built in the USA you will not have to pay duty. I just brought a car back a couple months ago, hell they didn't even check the vin tag.