Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack Chrisman 1965 Indy Nationals

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Flopper Factory!

[​IMG]

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Got a chance to check em out at the show last weekend,pretty nice.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I had never seen those two pictures before.WOW,the candy red had really faded !! The MM entry forms are out,go to the NHRA,then on the Heritage thread,it is later in March next year. ROY.

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That appears to be the Comet posted earlier that was brown with primer on the quarters....looks like he's done some more work to it. I like the tinted windows.

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Good to hear from you 64cyclone.Any progress on your projects? Wouldnt mind seeing another Comet at Bowling Green next year.I might be heading down to Durham next month to pick up a super secret project I accidently bought on Craigs list last month. Somebody needs to take my computer away from me.Snows starting to pile up around here, might be time to put a 4 inch teardrop hood on my yard car this year.

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Sorry to say but I'm still working on my old high school car (not HAMB material) but maybe one of these days?? I borrowed the wheels off of the Cyclone for the time being though. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. AFX1964

AFX1964
    from Illinois

I kind of like this one a lot ! My dad used to take me to school in this car every now and then. I am in the middle of building an exact tribute car of it right now. Jess Woodman

9. Paul_G

Paul_G

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I heard today also that it was for sale. Ive seen the car upclose its badass worth it

[​IMG]

1964 MERC COMET STATION WAGON CLONE
    Ad #2059484 Posted:2010-12-01 16:41:50
    This ad expires in 82 days.
    $49,000.00

Dyno Don Nicholson The Uglyduckling
    64 Comet station wagon,
    427 FE Shelby alun.block, Edelbrock heads,titaniun valves & retainers,alun.
    GRP rods, steel billet crank,Hogan sheetmetal manifold,holley 2x4's 850cc carbs, (done by Grumpy Jenkins). G-force 5 speed clutchless,Boninfante clutch,moses rear and axels 35 spline w/alum ctr section. beat ET to date 8.61, 155 mph.
    Best 60 ft time 120.1. All up to date certifications.Danny B time systems, Packpak sportsman datalogger.

Seller Phone Number: 267-733-8889

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That Laughlin Miles Comet is Damn cool. Do you know the story behind why it was called countdown 3? Any Vintage pics?

Would love to see a tribute going down the track. Lots of advice on this forumn.

[​IMG]

12. Paul_G

Paul_G

I've only seen it on youtube videos, badass is right! If only I had $50k to spend...

13. 65COMET

65COMET

WOW;I wonder why it is for sale!!! That Comet is wicked fast!!! I wonder if Jay and 422 are building something else. ROY.

14. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Ken, my dad tells me that he is pretty certain that Dick Hoffmann picked this car up second hand in late 64. That picture was taken here in Clarksville. I sure would like to know were that car came from and where it went.

15. I do know Jay didn't own the car. That may have something to do with it.:rolleyes: Seems like a good price to me.

16. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

I think thats GASSER55's car.....

17. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Under hood shot....

Attached Files:

18. AFX1964

AFX1964
    from Illinois

Count Down Three stood for the simple red , yellow and green of the early "christmas tree". I have a few pictures from the day with news paper clippings. You have seen the high riser for my car on youtube. Wanted to buy this car before but it wasn't for sale. May have to take a whack at it now in Florida.

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I'm still wondering how many of the surviving lightweight Comets are actually re-bodies??

20. 65COMET

65COMET

I just got the news that Jay Zolko left 422 and that he did not own the Comet.The owner is selling the wagon. ROY.

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

So is this your Hiriser? How far along are you with the tribute car? Definitely going to have to get some of these comets together. Engine sounds great. Post some pics wnen you get the chance. Well I didnt win the lotto, but Id sure like to buy that original.Going to be a bunch of us going to Bowling Green again next year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  22. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I was wondering which ones might be seconds, I wouldnt of picked that one because of all the early stuff on it.One of my favorites, would love to see a White Lightning Tribute going down the track.Its too bad there wasnt better records kept through the years.

I was thinking this one was a second, eventhough it has all the early stuff on it the roll bar makes me think 65.

[​IMG]

I would also wonder about the rebody aspect. Hate to put out the big money for a piece of history to be disapointed.

So out of the list which one is your favorite?

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Any word on why Jay left? I thought he was Doing some of the engine building out there.

The owner probably doesnt want to go through the breaking pains of a new driver.The wagon is a handfull.Hopfully Jay gets back into another Comet, Definitly knew how to drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I think this one was the best looking. I like this picture also...it was taken here in Clarksville when Reyes was doing some southern match racing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I think my favorite is the Deleorean Comet.Wish I had A color pic.
    I have a short clip of it running at Indy in 64, I'll try and post.

[​IMG]

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Reyes was down at Bowling Green last year getting an award,I couldnt catch up with him, wanted to get him to sign my dash.

27. 65COMET

65COMET

I like the Sox and Martin car after the repaint!! Some guy from Colorado has a clone that runs OK with an old boat motor!!!! ROY.

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I think the is the 64 that a guy on the Comet Central site is looking at buying,there can't been too many clean seadns like that one for sale!! Have you started on the "Secret" project yet?!!! ROY.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Roy not yet, I guess I forgot it was X-mas time, I'll have to put a hold on projects.

I did find a place where dreams come true

[​IMG]