Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swap meet prices? How to sell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ben Hall, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ben Hall

Ben Hall
    from Adelaide

I have some stuff that i plan to sell at a swap meet soon. How do you guys work out how to price your stuff you plan to sell. I want to make some money but at the same time i don't want to bring it all home again!

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, Ben...
    I just wait 'til the mark walks up and tell him, "I've got a number in my head; If you can arrive at that number, we've got a deal..."

3. Buy low, Price your stuff so the guy 2 rows over is more expensive while letting you make a bit.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends, do you just want to get rid of the stuff or do you want to make some money? Look around at similar parts for sale and price accordingly, I always find if you go a few $$ below the norm you will sell your gear and wont take a loss.
    Id rather get rid of the stuff, make a little money rather than hang on for the big $$ and haul the crap everywhere I go.

Doc.

PS, Ben Hall? I thought you made money 'other' ways?.................

5. Ebay can be a decent source for prices on stuff. See what it was worth to someone there...but look for completed auctions. You'll find a bunch of guys who think their rusty part is worth way more than someone will pay, so they never sell.

Also, if someone shows interest and you really don't want to lug the part home, tell them to make an offer. Most people will offer less than they'd pay, so try "do a bit better and we got a deal".

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I do the unmentioned here website ,People bitch about the fees ,But I do it from the comforts of my own home ,,,,,

7. What are you selling? Maybe we want first crack at it.

8. Price it what you want to get out of it. If it doesn't sell, mark it down. But price everything, I hate as a buyer having to ask someone what they want for something, a lot of times I just don't bother and go on to the next booth.

9. oldolds

oldolds

You never sell it all, unless you give it away. Even then you would have to put some in the garbage. If you price it fairly you will sell good the first time out. Fresh merch. sells quick.
    The best way to price it is just cheap enough that the most expensive guys will think they can make some bucks. They will be your first customers, They are the sharpies or hawks. They might even unload your truck for you. ( Yes, it does happen) They will ask about all your best items. ( everything shiney or signs ect). You better have your prices figured out.
    Tagging is good, but has its drawbacks. If you tag certain items too high they will think everything is too much.
    When I did the gas and oil stuff, oil bottles were what most guys used to check prices. At the time they were $35-$45 for an average no name bottle. I would price them at $30 that way they would look at other stuff. If I had a different one I would never price that one, because they will pick up the one they have never seen, and look at the $80-$100 price and think I wanted too much for everything. They would just walk away telling thier buddy that I was nuts. You have to talk to them and sell them on the idea that it was different.
    Just remember to price fairly ( a little higher than what you want) You can always come down. At the antique co-op that I have stuff in they won't lower price on items less than $20, and only discount 10% on the higher prices. Remember your mom or wife will kill to save 10%.
    Always say hello or let the customer know you saw him. Most people will walk out if you are talking to your buddy about your next build and dont acknowledge them.
    Have fun don't get an attitude. Everyone want a deal, If they want you to lower your price get them to counter offer. You will get jerks that will offer you 10 cents on the dollar, laugh at them and take the next customer. The guys that offer half what you are asking are insulting you but don't get mad. Maybe there is something wrong with you item that you didn't see. Ask him why he thinks it isn't worth what you want. Maybe you can meet in the middle or better. The guys that offer 75% or better meet them in the middle they will be your best customers. They will look for you every time.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Oldolds, i was thinking about how to answer this while reading the posts and when I got to yours I couldn't think of anything else to add. Sounds like you been doing the swaps a while too.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Lobucrod,
    Tell me what kind of show we are going to, ie, street rod, antique car, or local car show. I will load the truck in an hour. with a different mix for each show.

12. davis574ord

davis574ord

It all depends ive sold alot of shit at swap meets and u can allways come down on price u cant go up, but also u dont wanna keep bringin shit home, so u can only sell something for what someone will pay for it! Of course eveyone thinks what they have is worth a fortune but thats why they keep packin their shit up and bringin it home! Good luck!

13. this is gonna sound funny but if you price your stuff too low you wont sell it people will think theres something wrong with it

ive seen it happen alot i used to swap meet mopar stuff i knew most of the regular sellers and knew what they had and what they were asking for it

ive seen guys carry the same part to alot of shows and lets just say they were asking 50.00 well at this show joe blow walks up to them and says howmuch the seller says 75.00 or more and joe opens his wallet and doesnt even try to talk him down and walks away with part thinkin he got a deal when he could of had it for 50

if you have what they want /need they'll buy it 98%of the time

ive had guys walk away from adeal with me over 2.00

ive seen guys not buy something at one booth then walk down 2 booths and buy the same part in worse shape for more money

bottom line peoples is strange and truth is stranger then fiction

if you know what you paid for the part ask yourself what youd feel comfortable paying for it now

and as was mentioned you can allways come down

14. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I was a vendor at a recent swap meet. All the other guys had either price tags on their stuff or they at least had a price in mind. My technique was when someone asked "How much"..I would say "whats your offer"... It was usually more than I would have asked! The meet started at 9 am and by noon I was sold out...Went home with an empty truck. I even left a pile of rusty headers,etc. with a sign that said FREE

15. The other reason I price stuff is so I don't have assholes shouting from 10 feet over "how much is this" while I'm in the middle of talking to someone else where I sit to sell the stuff. Which has happened before. I still manage to sell plenty, so I guess we don't get guys who choose one thing to check to decide how prices are. I'm not going to worry if someone wants to be that dumb, personally.

And if your prices are cheap, you will sell a bunch of stuff to other vendors before the show starts, or early in the show. By the time you get to a show in the morning half the stuff people have out has moved at least three spots from where it first arrived. In fact I can go, make an early lap, put a bunch of stuff out on my spot and make money, then when it dies off make another lap and usualy end up with a few more things either for the next show or to throw on eBay.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm no big seller but I've bought a bunch of shit over the years. It took me a while in the 60s to figure out that most vendors price things higher than what they will actually sell it for. I call it haggle room. If I see a part for 125.00 I assume he wants 100 bucks for it. I always offer less. It's part of the game for me. If they get upset...tough shit. Price it so that you can take less and not feel bad about it.

I assume that unmarked items are over priced and the vendor is too embarrassed to mark them. If an item is priced way above what I think is fair, I don't even bother to make an offer. I assume he's an idiot and walk on by.

"Garage cleaner-outers" are great. They just want to recycle the cash that they have tied up in car parts. If that is what you are doing, set a price that it will sell for. Does it really matter if the going price is 200 but you get 150?

Professional vendors know the current prices and need to get the most out of their investment in order to pay the rent. If your prices are good enough the pro vendors will gobble it up and put it on their stand. You've got your money and can spend it while he has to wait for the retail customer to come along with the need and the cash.

Keep an eye peeled for customers. I've walked away from sooo many vendors that were soo busy talking with their buddy in the next chair that they could not recognize my presence. I'm patient but I'm also a buyer. Don't let me get away.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Don"t believe the bullshit that you will sell everything,unless you just have 3-1932 grill shells,won"t happen. Mark the price on your stuff as to what you want for it and either they want it or will make an offer.And definitely don"t listen to the at all swapmeets experts on your stuff,just tell buy something or move along.And it does help alot to clean your stuff up to.Good luck.

18. Like some of the others have said,put a price on it that you want for it.Most people just walk by unpriced items.Be friendly but don't get caught up in long conversations if you want to sell the stuff.If people have to work for your attention,they will walk off.Set up a box or table with junk you would throw away and put '$1 box" on it to draw attention,the cheap guys gather round that and people see the crowd and think you are selling cheap.Put your shiny stuff out front.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What you've got invested in a certain part should have some bearing on your asking price. Even if the current market value is $200.00, if you bought it for $10.00, you can afford to undercut the competition.

20. Gator

Gator

My pet peeve - and a lot of times a guy will be gone from his booth to take a leak or grab a drink - they'll ask their 'neighbor' or helper to watch their stuff - if it's not priced you lose a sale. If I REALLY want something I'll hang around or come back but most times I just move on.

When I take stuff to a swap I don't want to bring it home. I don't give it away but I price it to sell - same here on the Hamb - most of the last few items I put on the board sold same day, and I was more than happy with what I got.

21. when i went to sell, I priced everything so the sharks would buy it on friday nite. As far as customers go, I let them beat me down, then they gotta follow me to the trash bin... because that's where the part is gonna be.

22. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I always seem to sell stuff for way too cheap at swap meets. Seems nearly every swap meet I sell at, some guy buys a part off me, marks up the price, then tries to hock it at his spot. I just try to be fair. Price it for what I'd be willing to pay for it. I don't sell to make profit, only to make some room in the garage and maybe use the money to replace the unwanted parts for other parts I need...or think I need.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

eBay a great place to unload unwanted items. I've sold stuff I was going to throw out. I usually make a couple of bucks on the shipping as well.

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Like someone else said at least put a price on it whatever you want for it!! I see something w/out a price 1st thought they want too much for it.

Then if they are busy w/someone else and there is no price I'll usally walk, as I'm a buyer and don't have time to wait around on someone I'll go to the next thing.

25. sassaquinn

sassaquinn

Great answer

26. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I remember one year at a SUper Chevy I carried a bunch of stuff I was ready to blow out.

Got our spot and it was raining so hard we sat in the truck for a little. A couple of guys came up and tapped on the windows and asked a couple of prices and next thing I know they were unloading the truck for us :) . Come to find out they were not together but between the 2 of them we sold nearly half of our stuff before ever setting up.

I did the same thing the year I quit parting out Camaros and Chevelles. Rented a 24 foot Ryder truck and packed it as full as we could get it. Had several friends helping me and we just started throwing parts out in the mud. Told everyone to price the stuff 10-15 bucks regardless. Had guys lined up to pay for stuff.

It's been a couple years since I did any swap meet selling but last time I asked about some stuff seemed like most everyone wanted gold for it.

Brad54 is having his this weekend, I may venture out there and see if theres anything I need.

27. nightperson

nightperson

im also against putting prices on the stuff- i ask an offer- if they are looking for it then they know what it goes for. thats my experience at least- esp if if something thats not a common find.

i always look if its available new- if so then i go about 30% lower then that if its a common part. if not then i just shoot from the hip

there is also not much buying going on now- was down in daytona and every swap meet spot was taken but the crowd was thin and most took a lot home

28. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I guess putting prices on stuff can go both ways. I've been hit with high prices so much the last few years that anymore I'll walk by something not priced unless its a must have.