Register now to get rid of these ads!

A family thing?....Are Hot Rods in your blood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jun 29, 2010.

1. My Dad had all kinds of 30's cars mostly Dodges back in the 30's and 40's as he worked in a wrecking yard , so cars came cheap. He went to war came back had a series of 40's Chev pickups and panels, then bought a 55 Meteor woody wagon and on and on .....Dame I wish I had just a few of them. The Meteor I would kill for now.
    So yes cars are in my blood. Rob.

2. davis574ord

davis574ord

Dude i havent seen my dad since i was five years old, and i have taught myself everything about cars , painting, bodywork, etc., but i have taught both of my sons everything that i know, now they have the sickness too, ive created a couple of monsters! Oh well could be worse, they could be into drugs or booze, so its not too bad i guess!

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

sweet

4. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

Slightly... my dad had a 68 rs camaro.

and i have a 67 rs camaro..

and my son will inherit mine so....

may... bee..

5. It's not just hot rods for us, its anything with a motor that can be hopped up.
    More so motorcycles than anything but I figured I would try hot rodding too. :D

6. In the blood. Pop is a product of being a sheriffs son in the sixties and seventies, which meant him and his buddies were the worst behavin misfits in town.
    I don't think there is a picture from my youth that I wasn't sittin on the hood of somethin fast, stupid, and shiney. Came home from the hospital in a '53 Ford Big Window, in a car seat that looked like a pile of scap steel the old man had cobbed together.

7. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Blood. See Signature....:cool:

8. Nope, I had to go out after it - I did have one uncle who was really good with cars and could fix them easily and another 1/2 uncle who was into 57 Chevies and such in the early 60s, no one in my immediate family was ever in to them. I didn't so much as go after them as they kind of found me ....

9. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

Grandpa was a lead mechanic for 3 uncles that started in gokarts and made their way to the dragstrip once they were old enough. Dad was more into 2 wheels. Built his 1st chopper in my Grandparents basement. I can't remember a sunday that passed that wasn't spent at Byron, IL as a young kid. Or a m/t/w/r/f/s that wasn't spent in the garage preparing for sunday.

10. uglydog56

uglydog56

I get it from my mom - she used to race my 56 on saturday night outside of town before she married my dad. My dad thinks it's low class to "have to" work on your own cars. Now I build all my own stuff. My brother is also into cars, but he gets all of his work done by professionals. Guess he's his dad's son. His stuff generally looks nicer, but mine is always, well, cooler because I built it, I guess.

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Cool Mom! :cool:

12. timothale

timothale

somewher ny nephew has a picture of my dad and uncle in their Model T speedster I think taken before 1920, I don't think he did much after that, He got into Rodeo's He used to get on a train and ride to Calgary, Cheyenne, Pendelton , My mother liked the song Moma, don't let your boys grow up to be cowboys, Her moto. She would rather see us working on cars than riding bucking horses, I don't Know what was more dangerous. driving too fast or getting kicked in the head. My older brother was working on cars when he was 14, I wish I had his old 40 Ford coupe withe a 3 carb merc , alum heads HC ignition fenton exhaust etc.

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Nope. Im on my own for this one. Nobody can figure out why i got into cars. I blame rebellion cause my dad hates old cars.

14. No .... not at all. When I was young I had numerous concussions, I'm guessing that's what messed me up :D.

15. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

I am called 3rd gen hot rodder for a reason...
    [​IMG]
    Me in my first ride with my Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather

16. Little Terry

Little Terry

None of my family understand any attraction whatsoever with old cars. I have no idea where I get it from. My grandpa on mom's side was a little into cars, but just polishing them and driving i think - didn't really know him to well.

17. Cars yes, hot rods and customs no. My dad was a British car guy MG's and Landrovers so I got my interest in cars from him but developed my own automotive interests We definitely worked on both together until he passed away though.

18. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

family thing for me, everyone in the fam is into cars.. its the only life i have ever known, my dad and i never did the commen father-son things like hunt or fish,play catch.... watch sports on TV. i grew up in dads garage, and every min of my free time besides when iam on the HAMB is spend out in my own garage.

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

In my family, my Dad and uncle's on both sides of the family were into cars. That's me on my Dad's lap along with my Sister circa 1963 with his 35 Chevy Standard coupe. It had a 322 Buick nailhead, LaSalle trans & olds rear. The 51 Vicky (427 Ford, dual quads, 4 speed)was owned by my Mom's brother. We would be at my maternal grandmother's and my brother and I would always stand in the makeshift garage and look at it in awe. I got my 31 pickup in pieces when i was 13.

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Another try at loading the pictures.

Attached Files:

21. pinman 39

pinman 39

I did this all to myself .My 75 year old father just retired from selling new cars after
    35 years .And still doesn't understand why anybody would have an old car when you could be driving a brand new one .
    Sorry Dad .

22. saints

saints

No and yes....my dad was a 69,70 muscle car guy and I grew up that way but at car shows I was looking at 30's and 40's and 50's cars more than the muscle machines my dad was into....I later sold my muscle car to buy a 55 buick and the bug hit me now I scower the earth for old tin

23. skipstitch

skipstitch

A pic of me with one of my Dad's cars in '75. I never had a chance!

My two year old son thinks this is a picture of his 4 year old brother!!!

Attached Files:

24. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

Car 3001.jpg

Car 2001.jpg

One of my dad's race cars. Must be genetic!!

25. aircoup

aircoup

oh it found me ,,BIT MY ASS HARD

26. some men are catholics
    some men are jewish
    my dad was a Chevrolet guy
    born in a whole family of gear heads.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Nice!

28. Rock Island Rocket

Rock Island Rocket

Unfortunately my dad never had anything very cool and has never had much of anything work keeping, although him and my mom rebuilt a 69 camaro when i was about 12 and immediately sold it when it was done because my mom was tired of messing with it! My dad has spent the last 30 plus years racing at the local dirt track and I of course followed in his footsteps, never knew of anything different. Finally realized there was something better to apply my fab skills and knowledge to than a crappy stock car that will just get tore up at any second. Absolutely love this atmosphere and everything about it and hope to pass it on to my kids

29. 32Gnu

32Gnu

OOoooh Yeah, Grew up in a car house where the old man held on to his stuff.. he had a 32 3 window I now own that has had 5 generations in the seat, and a 34 5 widow that to this day has the original paint and pinstriping on 90% of it.

First job I had was a grease monkey in a Mobil Service station in Brockport New York..

Here are a few pics.. My Great grandpa in the 32, My dads 34 in the late 50's and a picture of my kids with a malibu we built last year...

Its tough for kids nowadays to become hot rodders as the cars fade so fast...

Attached Files:

30. mickeyc

mickeyc

I was the only one in my family until my son came along. Poor kid
    I quess I gave him the gene. I am also the only Ironworker in my family
    I was a hot rodder before I was an Ironworker. Conventional lifestyles just never appealed to me much, and I have managed to avoid them
    as much as I could.