Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chevy 3 speed floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by happy hoppy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I am considering moving my stock column shifter to the floor in my next project ,1950 chevy sedan.
    the dash is going to be customized but I will be keeping the original drive train so the stock shifter my look out of place.

I know Mr Gasket and Hurst make a kit but what have you used?

thanks,
    Happy

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

When I still had a 3sp I bought a Hurst Indy Universal. Only thing anyone made for my car. Later I picked up a used Hurst Synchroloc from LittleWing here on the HAMB. Might contact him, he might have something for you.

3. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

57custom, did you like the hurst?

Tugmaster, thanks. I would like to hear from anyone that has used this shifter or something like it.
    don't want to buy junk.

4. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

I have heard the shifter handle on the one from national Chevy feels kinda cheap, I found a Hurst 4954 shifter. Try Littlewing here on the HAMB, and she will help-and yes she is a chick!!

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'd trust National Chevy. I've bought from them, but not the shifter.

I bought an Indy 3 speed for parts and brackets once. And used the stuff to install a comp+ 4 speed shifter on my 54.

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

hey dime, I did a search for Littlewing and nothing came up.

anyone here use the shifter from National?

thanks!

7. choppermatt

choppermatt

Im actually going to sell mine. It hurst brand. Worked Great. Would like pics of it?

8. whats up man! the floor shifter (i've tried b&m, hurst, and the cheap one they sell at pepboys prices ranging from $60 to $150) is kinda a pain in the ass (everything from binding, getting stuck in gear, to the whole shit falling apart on the way to paso one year!) i wish i would of left mine on the column! plus the column looks naked after i took it off, just a thought

9. robleticia

robleticia

I have one in my car from National Chevy, it works fine, the bracket that bolts to the tranny is bullet proof, however the shifter handle is kinda cheap??:confused: Its fine for me, I'm not drag racing the thing so it will be fine. The price ($160) was in my budjet so that's what I bought. You can see it real good in this pic before the floor pans went in. The Hurst shifter that Dimebag has is nicer but is a little more $. He's a baller, he should buy us both one!:eek: If you find one, get me one too!:D

Attached Files:

10. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thanks Miguel, I was hoping you would post up what you have.
    I know you drive your car a lot and I wanted to hear some real world experience with aftermarket shifters.
    mybe just leave it as is.

David

11. choppermatt

choppermatt

I did two cars with them, sometimes they can be a pain, but after they were installed they just took some tweeking to get them working right. The one i had on my car didn't have the right amount of swing from the reverse lever. I had an extra arm and welded it to the back and it works just fine. The first one was mr gasket universal and the one I had on my car is an Hurst indy shifter.

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had a summit shifter for a sag 4 speed, absolute shit. dangerously bad. never ordering anything from them again, on principle. My car came with a floor shifter on the OEM 3 speed, but that trans was not reliable so I scrapped it all.

13. you cant really use uni with these trans . just my experience . i use the nat chevy one .. i think its a solid piece ....just cuz its floor shift somepeople think they can slam the shifter around .. its just as the column you need to feel it .. it like the blues man ... you dont play the blues you feel the blues

14. Crestliner

Crestliner

I a NOS Foxcraft with all mounts, boot, and shifter plate. 60.00 + shipping.

Attached Files: