Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 chev.Must. II or Camaro clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Dec 1, 2010.

1. just a bit of a survey.. I have drove, lots of old cars with GM clips. they drive great.. I have not , with the Must. II..........so I am building a 53 Chevy. I bought 5 cars. one has a new Must II and one has a Camaro clip.. both have p.s. which would you choose and why.? I am using one rolling frame under the best body.. thanks

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Camaro clips are butt ugly, a bit wide, and then there is the mounting of the front sheetmetal. if it has already been done by someone unknown to you you have no idea if it was done right. I've seen a clipped A.D. truck with the wheel on one side a good 3" behind where the wheel is on the other side. if you are talking about a clipped car that has not been reassembled it would be difficult to tell if the wheels will be in the right spot. saw a picture of a real nice 51 here today with the wheels way far back from where they belong... ruined the whole car.

MMII's are hard to fuck up, though I've seen one that was messed up as well. I'd go mustangII.

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I would do the mustang II because you can get them for your chassis and you dont have to wory about your tires rubbing your fenders like you would if you used the Camaro front clip

4. tcnotch

tcnotch
    from Toxic City

If you have both i would have to say mustang II for sure.

5. ya, I have both rolling frames, the Must II is a very nice looking job, and the fender thing is a good point.. thanks so far, Must II

6. Mullda

Mullda

I've got a 1954 Hardtop with a Nova clip and PS. It was put in by the previous owner. It's in the right location. The welding could have been nice looking or at least cleaned up better, but at least it's solid. If I were to have installed an IFS, I'd go MII for a couple of reasons. The first is that I've owned several cars with them and they ride and drive great. The second is that they are pretty easy to install if you take your time and measure and then measure again to make sure everything is in the correct location. The other thing I like about the MII is that it is a front steer application with rack and pinion. My '54 has a 396 BBC and the driver's side headers had to be hammered to clear the steering box(previous owner again). Yuck! I'm looking at converting it to a rack and pinion at some point.

7. caseyrod

caseyrod

if cost is not a factor mustangII

8. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

For the size of your '53 Chevy car go with the Mustang set up it'll fit better and it's easier to install. My '41 Ford, '52 Chevy smaller car size went with the Mustang, my '49 Caddy went with a '79 Nova clip.

10. lowrd

lowrd

Like almost everyone has noted, use the MII suspension. The older Chev frame is designed to flex a bit and a welded in Camaro front end would compromise the design.
    The bolted in front end from Chassis Engineering works very well and it is adjustable.

11. thanks everybody, Must. II, it is..

12. BadLuck

BadLuck

another one for the Must.II i had a camaro clip on mine.. too wide, pain in the ass getting front sheet metal to bolt up, everything had to be modified... couldnt even get a finger in the fenderwells... tried different offset wheels, etc... messed with it for months and months... finally went and bought a stock frame.. installed the Mustang II, in a few hours, all the sheet metal bolted right up like its suppose to.... never again, i say no to the clip!!