Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blower intake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chota5, Dec 1, 2010.

1. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Blowers are new to me, looking for some schooling here. I got a old GMC 6-71 convereted to gas use. I would like to put it on a sbc. Does such a intake exist that has a oil fill tube and theromostat provisions? If so who makes it. Also what kind of cfm will I need from the carbs. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

i think the newer (non-traditional) intakes have the thermostat provision, but not oil fill.

Carb selection depends on a lot of things...generally a pair of 500 cfm carbs would be about right for a relatively mild street small block, bigger if it's a wilder engine.

3. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

That's what I was afraid of.

4. HOTRODBUILDER

HOTRODBUILDER

The oil fill tube would be in the way of the drive. Now you might get creative and do like Gary dyer use to and put a plate on top of your favorite manifold and cut down the oil tube as short as possiable and maybe clear the blower. You may have to move the drive around to get things to clear. Just my thoughts on it.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Assuming you don't want an oil cap on the valve covers, your only options are to use an early manifold with a remote thermostat, see if you can find a modern intake with a blow off valve that's not on the drivers side rear corner, so you can put a filler of some sort there or maybe you can make a fill tube that mounts to the fuel pump boss and use an electric pump.

6. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Anyone have pics of a early intake with remote thermostat?

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's one, note oil fill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Crag...arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_975

Pop off valve but no springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Crag...701267009QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_500wt_975

Manifolds with fill tubes were usually really early and hard to find. Makers were Edelbrock, Weiand and Cragar. The easiest to find being Edelbrock which range from $250 to $350 for nice ones.

Heres some more fuel for thought.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416333&showall=1

8. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

forgive my ignorance, but even if it has no thermostat provisions, I can run heater hoses off the water pump and use a remote thermostat, allowing me to run it on the street, correct?

9. squirrel

squirrel

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it just the look you are after with the oil fill tube and T-stat thing, or is there something else? I have done all kinds of crazy shit to make something that looks "right" to me, so I understand if it is just the cool look, I'm just curious.

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The hoses need to go to either the manifold or holes drilled in the front of the heads and then to the remote thermostat housing.

12. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

part for the look, part because I have found a guy that sais he has some older blower intakes. I would really like the oil fill tube so I can run my old Corvette valve covers, but the most important thing for me is to keep the motor cool, I can add oil through a breather if I have too.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Be a man....cut holes in the Vette valve covers for offy breathers!

14. The filler on the fuel pump boss is a good idea and I can't imagine running twin carbs and a blower without an electric pump. I guess someone does but I just can't imagine why.

Pretty simple filler by the way just a plate shaped like a block off plate with a tube welded on the middle of it and a cap. If its a fender car you could bend a tube to run right up to the top of the valve cover if you wanted to.

I have also seen small blocks with a filler tube welded into the side of the pan. There are lots of options here.

15. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Would adding a filler tube to the pan or by cutting a hole in a valve cover for a breather satisfy the breathing requirments of an early small block? [For example a 55-57 style]

16. My manifold has no oil fill, but does have provision for a thermostat. I'm running Moon breathers on the valve covers, and just remove the top of the breather and pour oil through the valve cover. it winds up in the pan, and that's all that has to happen.

17. Have a couple of OLD SBC Crager intakes with side filler tube specifically for a 471.

Brian 713-724-9856

18. chop32

chop32

If you have an early small journal engine, you could use the road draft tube hole behind the distributor as an oil fill.
    Ive used this as a port for a pcv valve in the past in conjunction with an oil fill tube up front, but kept the stock under the intake baffle in place...this would have to be removed if you were using the hole as an oil fill.

I have a '50 Cad engine that once had a 4-71 on it. It had a tube that bolted to the side of the oil pan that was used as an oil fill. The engine was in a roadster, so there wasnt a lot of chassis interference.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. JAWS

JAWS

Just my opinion, but that's the best blown smallblock chevy look to me.

Seems I remember several famous cars that were just that way.

Wasn't McMullen's deuce that way......oh yeah here's a pic.

Attached Files: