Register now to get rid of these ads!

New car club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodhell35, Nov 29, 2010.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Here's the deal man. If you want a club, no dues, no don'ts. No mandatory shows, no "elected" officers, try to set aside 1 night a month for a "meeting" and then mass email everyone in the "club" when you'll be working on your stuff and others can do the same. provide food and beverages and don't get pissed if no one can show. You all can still be friends and make decisions based on everyone's want and needs.

2. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

start making silly rules now, the more the better.

no socks every other meeting or your kicked out!!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That sounds about right and it all makes sense. Funny the club that I'm in we have dues but they are only to provide for the parties that we throw. Better to ask for $10/ month then $120 at one shot when the party is being planned. We have rules as far as club cars and what we'd like to represent but we're all into the same shit so it's loose like that. We do like pre-62 rule and try not to have any modern parts on the car and if they do hide them.

We don't have officials but we do have our niches and sort of stick to them. I'm the design and planning type guy so I take care of flyers, shirts, and organize some stuff like parties. We have others that are good with Shmoozing so we always put him out front to greet people and spread the word. Then we have a money guy who keeps us straight and finds the funds for us to have fun and we also have a den mother being that we have a shop we rent for a good portion of the the members. Some of the other guys are good at the thing that keeps this relevant to us which is building cars. If we didn't have the cars then none of this would be possible so to have some guys that are always willing to help the rest of us work on our shit is crucial and they are major players.

But here is the thing that I said before. We are just dude that are best friends. The name doesn't define us nor does it predetermine what we are going to do. It's just a name to unify us and our area. We don't recruit because we don't need new members. We welcome new friends but being a club member basically has a responsibility and we don't force it on anyone. It's gotta be natural.

Club Presidents are for people that can't govern themselves and for a loose group. When you are as close as we are in the Iron Lords you just know that the guy sitting next to you is going to make a similar decision when the question is asked so there's no need for someone to sit at the head of the table and dish out what they feel is necessary.

4. We always start out with our socks, but before long we all use our socks for other things....

Sincerely,
    Founding member of the 'Sock Fuckers Car Club'

5. My favorite club of the three I belong to has a 10 minute meeting in a different members garage each month. Short meeting is preceeded and followed by a 3 hour bull session.
    One meeting at my garage we lifted the roadster body back onto the frame, Another time they helped unload a heavy 10 Southbend lathe I had bought.
    Just don't get wraped up in a bunch of "ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER".

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s interesting to read some of these posts, and the Reader’s Digest version of what they are saying is; “We couldn’t make it work, so clubs suck.”

If it was kept in perspective it would be; “We couldn’t make it work, so our club sucked.”

To all of you who couldn’t make it work, speak only for yourselves.

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

No wives or girl friends

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

if you have the right group of guys it can work just fine and be a lot of fun.

9. bryan6902

bryan6902

DO NOT STEAL ANY OTHER'S CLUB NAME, LOGO OR ANY COMBINATION OF THE 2. You want to have your own name/identity in your area, sounds like the Inliners may be claimed in your area.

10. I personally think that car clubs are a little hokey. I have belonged to one so I guess that makes me pretty hokey.

You pretty much nailed it with this statement. First and formost find yourself a few close friends that want to get cars built, drive 'em and have fun . . . Then when you have everyone sucked in tell them that you are the president and they have to pay this years dues.

Or you could just skip the club part and do the building driving and having fun part.

11. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

It is interesting to read these replies and there is a lot of truth in all of them. Our club "Geargoyles" was started over 2 years ago with close friends and we made a few mistakes in the beginning and I will leave you with a few tips of advice which are just my opinion.

First off, do not try to make the club into something that it is not right now. If you guys are good friends, hanging out and working on cars, then do your best to keep it that way. A few rules based off the way the entire group feels is fine just don't burden yourselves with rules just to have rules. No doubt you will have folks come up and ask how they can join the club. You will find that people only want to say I am in a car club and primarily do it because they think it is cool. Only accept those that care more about you than the club and this takes time to determine. Never accept somebody just because they have a super cool car that would look good in your group. I can't stress enough, it is all about true friends not an image.

It is true, a couple folks will do more work than the rest of the group. Go ahead and accept that now. This applies to your job, family, church or whatever.

Our wives are club members and many have an old ride of their own and those that don't are still a part of the group. We are very family oriented, so it works for us. Got to make your call on this one but I married my wife to share life together and not be a mother to me but I could see some situations for some clubs, where the ladies are not included.

We dont have a club president but there is someone that takes the lead in everything we do. I betcha you guys already have this type of relationship. Probably have someone that calls everybody and suggest getting together, someone that takes up money and runs to pick up some fast food, someone that is good on the computer, some likes to talk and others that keep to themselves. Just keep doing what you are doing, don't burden yourselves, have fun and you guys should be fine.

Curtis
    Geargoyles C.C.

12. chillywilly

chillywilly

Here's what I learned.... (if you are really into it) get it going, be loose about what is right and wrong...only "guidelines" should pertain to type and quality of car. Nobody is better than anybody else regardless of what they can or can not do... colaborate on builds... use each others strengths...10 years later you will have a small handful of guys that are your true friends and you will still be doing the same stuff together... then it's really fun

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drama queen. All of your posts are ad hominem attacks from a sourpuss. Sorry your club experience didn't work out for you, but you are part to blame. Ever been married? Ever had a relationship with anyone? Then there is going to be "drama". Grow up already.

14. N8B

N8B

I like mine.

But's that's only because Ted is in it.

15. Imperialists, we call them car collectives! Bwaaaaaa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!!!!! Pig Dogs!

16. Clubs are for clubbers!

[​IMG]

17. Clubs can be a good way to network, esp. for those of us in the middle of BFE and pretty much work all the time. I've gained both knowledge and parts from guys in the club I belong to. Granted, much of what has already been posted is true: A few good workers and a few who aren't happy unless they're bitchin'/throwing a wrench into the works. Don't let the na sayers bother you, they'll eventually go away.

Good luck!

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's why you need the lube!

holy shit, it's ngo long dong! what's your car collective's name? i would totally join that one!

19. Anderson

Anderson

whatever you do, don't start a car show.

20. I'm probably not going anywhere.

Here's my take on it. Most of the fellas who want to start a new club are like guys with their first steady girl friend. Ooooh Maaaaan, titty touchin' neck bittin', homade coolies. It just don't get any better than this.

Then down the road the silly broad wants to get serious and all at once its not cool. Why couldn't she be like those chicks that hang out at the parties, granted no homade cookies from them but the rest of it is there.

Hangin' out with your buddies is like the chicks at the party. You see 'em you have fun with 'em but you are not really tied to them. The club on the other hand is like your first steady girl friend. At first its all titty touchin and cookies then down the road it gets serious and you realize that you are tied to it. You can't just step away for a bit and come back when you feel like it.

It is a commitment and you have to take the good with the bad. If you can't take the good with the bad then you better just hang with your buddies and leave the clubbin' thing to those who are ready to be commited and take the good with the bad.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that all you got? You start with pop-psychology and then purposefully misinterpret what I was saying? Who writes your shit, a twelve year old? Again, grow up.

22. heavy

heavy

That's how ours is set up. Hasnt always been like that but less hurt feelings that way. Stikk a little drama now and then but no more than life in general brings on.

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm amazed, but not surprised at how much animosity is out there about car clubs. I literally grew up in a club, joined when I turned 16 and have maintined my membership since then--even during the years I was 12 hours away--I'm three hours now and make about 2 meetings a year plus see the gang at shows and events bu they're reallyan extended family. That's not to say that there's not been a fair share of family drama, but hell that's what happens when you get more than person in a room. I point to jerry springer as evidence.

They can be good and they can be crap--it's all what you make of them.

24. I belong to three, Minnesota Street Rod Association, Tomahawk Pontiac Club, and I just joined Chevy's Best. I'm not into clubs, but the networking is why I'm doing it. I think the MSRA is worth the $20 if you're into cars in Minnesota, the monthly magazine is worth the money alone. Want ads and show/cruize-in info, local advertizers....it's worth $20. The Pontiac club because I own one and I just joined the Chevy club because we're hanging out with a lot of thier members, and they asked. We'll see how it goes.

My point is, why start one and put up with all the shit when you can join one and see if you want to volunteer later and then get into the drama and crap that goes with it? Maybe that would be easier.....

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm a Marauder. Greatest bunch of guys and gals I have EVER had the pleasure of knowing! We are actually "organized" and can get things done and agreed upon in usually in one meeting or a mass email.

I for one, love clubs, cars, and the people that go with them.

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, you made yourself obvious by posting multiple times and contributing nothing but spite. You had it coming, and now you are crying because you got called out on it? It's nice to have a youthful outlook, however you are being a big baby.

27. Anderson

Anderson

The kind of clubs you are in are absolutely nothing like the kind of clubs the original poster is talking about. You are talking about AAA, he is talking about the Shifters...

28. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To which you have contributed greatly, some introspection would do you a world of good.

29. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

being in a car club for me has been a ton of fun. the workload it takes to get things going and keep it going will always fall onto the shoulders of one or two of the guys. but if it's something you really want to do then it doesn't seem like a chore at all. sometimes it's really aggravating to round up everybody or get everyone to agree on even the little shit (like where are we gonna meet? what time? what's our route?). but when you roll up all at once at a show (car show or bar) rumbling and makin racket, it's a cool ass feeling! sometimes old timers take notice of that and come and talk to you bout their club back in the day. in my opinion if it's something you really want, it does take work, and there will be drama, but the fun and comraderie will outweigh and outlast all that. my club, the CANNIBALS, have been together since 2004. we haven't accomplished too much, but we've never set a goal either. just hung out and had fun up until this point. we've never been a big club (7 now) and don't really want to be big, we think you lose tightness when your a large club. my advice is if you know what you want as far as rules (what kinda cars, cut off date etc), set them in stone now. that way guys coming in know up front what its all about. that cuts down on drama. picking a club name is a bitch! we wanted something original. we thought for three months to come up with a name, and everytime we'd have a cool one i'd check online and find a club with that name already. i'd suggest when you find a name you want, check with stan the plaque man, or obrien truckers, and see if they've cast plaques for that name. i may get flamed for something i've said here but it's just my two cents, take it or leave it. GOOD LUCK!

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

For shit sake. Just go ahead and pull out your johnsons and measure them to see who wins. That's enough drama from both of you. Like a couple of teen girls. Or at least PM each other with tired ass comebacks. This guy asked a simple question. Folks have different opinions. It's a part of life. Deal with it!