Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Local104

Local104
    from norte ca

me too i was in a 61 impala

2. SLICK VIC

SLICK VIC

The Renton Loop, Cars were Bad Azzzz......Renton Washington....

Benson Highway Survivor too,...1968-1980

.:cool:

3. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Polk Street Amarillo, Texas in the late 60's 1957 Chevy & 1964 Plymouth

4. TxRat

TxRat

6th st. Austin TX 86-87

5. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

Sylvania/Lockwood White Hut, Reynolds W Hut, Don's on the Eastside by The Old Mans Speed Shop and the Freeway out on Rt2 in Oregon.
    Remember Lou's Speed Shop, Old Mans, Flash Baumann's on Dorr st.

6. 460stang

460stang

mid to late 80's all around toms river and seaside heights, manahawkin and long beach island new jersey...drove a 66 mercury comet ,, still have it today..

7. Troyz

Troyz

Chester Ave. in Bakersfield, CA. 1985-89 and then someone fired off a full auto machine gun & killed it for everyone.

8. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

bunker hill woods,,, northwest side if chicago in the mid 70`s then superdawg drive in milwaukee and devon in the 80`s chi town rules!!

9. vw505

vw505
    from Lemoore,CA

Clearwater Beach in Florida

10. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

Give it up for Lew's, Lewiston Idaho.57 ford converible

11. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

by the mid to late 70's when I got there in my own car, Peoria avenue ["the restless ribbon"] was kinda dead ; too many drunks, stoners in vans etc. But there were still a few of us trying to keep the tradition going. I was fortunate enough to be there some as a little kid in my "god-brothers' [godparents son] cars - first a 64 GTO followed by a new 70 Roadrunner. Make a few passes up and down, maybe catch a couple of gears between lights, sit at Penningtons awhile and look at cars and girls. Real racin was done out on the Beeline.
    By the time I was driving my own roadrunner, Peoria was slowing way down as stated earlier, so most of the people I knew would make a few passes down the ribbon in Tulsa and then head up 66 to Claremore. C-more was still happenin and seemingly was BUILT to cruise! I mean, the center of town just really lent itself to circular, repeated traffic. Mix in all the pretty farm and ranch girls from the outlying areas that came to town on Saturday nights and Claremore was hard to beat in 1978!

12. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Golden Gardens park in Seattle was a HUGE hang out when the sun set. right on the beach, with a 1/2 mile drag strip right out of the park. Cars would be staged for a dozen cars back. I took a stencil to the sign as you enter the park and added "International Raceway" to it. it was there for years. Then around '75 we couldn't police ourselves well enough, so the local police came in and wrote an average of 300 tickets a night for a week. instant ghost town. Hasn't been the same since.
    For a change we might run to Everett to cruise Colby, or the other direction to Renton to cruise the Loop. Nothing compared to "The Gardens" though...

[​IMG]

13. Yakima, 60-63. Dragging the avenue. From the Freezer on Yakima Ave to Don's Drive-in on south !st. Nobody ever bought anything at Don's, if you were hungry you got it at the Freezer. When I saw American Grafitti I went nuts. I lived that movie in my Yakima days when I was in high school. Only one station played rock and only at night. Better than nothing.

14. K and K

K and K

Santa Rosa Ave and 4th st in Santa Rosa. A buddy of mine from Santa Rosa high would carve the years of our old cars into the tables of the local Fosters Freeze... and that was in the late 90's

15. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Mooney Boulevard, Visalia, CA
    Blackstone Avenue, Fresno, CA

16. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Alki Beach Drive(Seattle), Renton Loop, Golden Gardens (1/4 mile from the entry gate to the marina!), White Center Herfy's in my '55 Chev 2dr post and my uncles '56 Chev Custom 2dr Sport Sedan hardtop..........Good Times !

17. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

The Kow Korner in Burlington Washington with my cousins in Howard Staffords '57 yellow 2dr wagon and my cousins '66 "Goat" ..............That was 1969 !

18. Cruised Federal Ave. in Mason City, Ia. Hasse's drive in at north end, The Hop drive at south end. Usually in Mick's chopped and channeled '31 model A cpe or my lowered, nosed and decked '53 Merc hard top. Dated and married one the carhops. She still cruises with me 49 years later in my '29 A sedan!

19. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Main St., Hackensack,N.J. (when it was one lane in EACH direction), Main St., Lodi,N.J., and Park Ave, Rutherford,N.J.

20. pops52

pops52

I also scooped the loop on Genesee Street in Waukegan, Illinois. In 1969 it was with a red and white '56 BelAir hardtop. And in 1970, it was with a black '36 Dodge Brothers coupe. Waukegan drew great cars from several surrounding areas.

Oh...to go back to those days....

21. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Riverside ave. in Spokane Wa.

22. badss540

badss540
    from HB

Jericho Turnpike in Centereach,Long Island NY (at Jack in the Box), street raced on Nicholes road a 2 lane new highway never used. Also crused to Nathens in Oceanside late 70's

23. tom heath

tom heath
    from Enid, Ok.

from the mid 50's to the mid 60's it was Frisco ave in Clinton Ok., we called it dragging main ,even though that was not its name, be couse we also did the loop which was from one end of Frisco av. on to the original "route 66 " which went right through Clinton , around the drive in movie , and 2 other rodes to come back to main from the other end about 3 miles one other fun thing while they were bulding I 40 past Clinton our car club "Toppers" used the road way for a dragstrip went down one lane and returned on the other, worked good ,when the copes busted us we were taking donations to pay for the loud speaker and had over a hundered kids there. but that is another fun story

24. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Atlanta/Decatur, Georgia! In High School it was Peachtree Rd. and North Avenue to the Varsity in Atlanta, or Memorial Drive out towards Stone Mountain where "The Jack's" drive in was located! Great race spots out there East of town! In Decatur it was North Decatur Road or Scott Blvd. for our impromtu street races then return to Zesto's drive in on Clairmont Road for a foot long or two.
    If we knew some "West End" gals, we'd cruise WAAAAY on over to Joe Cotton's Drive in in East Point (I know, but it WAS West of town!)

Once back from Viet Nam, I was in Santa Ana, Ca. where we cruised Harbor Blvd. to Anaheim and the Taco Joint there (Taco Viva?) and if we felt the need, on to Van Nuys Blvd. for who knew what! Sometimes Main Street in Santa Ana was kinda cool too! There always seemed to be time on the week ends to cruise the PCH down around Laguna Beach. That was a cool place for us "easterners" while in the OC!

25. speedchangesyou

speedchangesyou

Hawthorne Blvd, The Witch Stand, the center divider in front of the A&W we would meet there and plan to street race at a place called "Shell's Shut Off" then go to Lyon's on Sunday. There was also an on ramp near the old Big Donut (a famous landmark) in Inglewood Ca. the off ramp had 2 lanes and we would stage at the bottom of the ramp, there was a foot bridge exactly a quarter mile from that start line that went across the 405 and everyone would stand there and watch until the cops came.....I was in a club at the time called the Nomads and would like to find some of the old members. I am still into cars and have a 41 Willy's running a 2009 Corvette LS3 and a 32 Deuce 3 Window running a small block Chevy....

One of the guys in this thread mentioned everything changed after Vietnam and he was right...prior to it was a magical time...

Today I live in Temecula Ca and am a member of the Axle Draggers, every Friday night a group of us hang out on the street corner in what is called "Old Town" an old western town street that a lot of people walk around and cruise. Another cool area is in Escondido Ca every Friday night it's called Cruising Grand and there are always a hundred plus cars out...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  26. Ferry st. and Bloomfield ave. in Newark,NJ 79-81.great crazy fun.

27. bobfrev

bobfrev

Long island , NY mid 70's cruising main street in islip to bayshore and back, coffee and bench racing in the McDonalds parking lot. nathans in oceanside and street racing on "231" deer park ave.

28. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Killer thread--never have seen it before!
    I don't think high school really had much to do with it cause we were in and out of that game but in Charlotte, N.C in the 60s; it was Shoneys Big Boy Drive In on Freedom Drive in West Charlotte and our turf -- South 21 Drive In on South Blvd.
    Most races from the above cruise spots ended up on East Blvd. or my favorite, and the safest, Old Pineville Rd which lent itself to easy cop evasion!!!
    Boy, were those the days!
    When I moved to Dallas, cruising still took place on Forest Lane but White Rock Lake on the weekend in the mid 70s was a scene like no other! Literally, thousands of kids, cars, and bikes.

29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Golden Gardens & Colby, early '70z
    [​IMG]

30. falfas55

falfas55

Back in 1970-71 we cruised Forest Lane in Dallas,Texas. We went as far west to Webb Chapel Rd.. and eastbound to Inwood Rd. There was a Fed-Mart parking lot at Marsh and Forest. that we gathered in after 10:00 P.M. We had some great times!!