Register now to get rid of these ads!

What doors will fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Law, Nov 30, 2010.

1. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

1933/34 model pickup. Doors for this year seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I was thinking of building RPU out of it. If I do will standard 31 roadster doors fit and match the body line? I've been researching but haven't came up with much. Any help or pointers on where to look would be great. Thanks

Rob

Education edit: no model A after 1931

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

What's a 33/34 Model A Pickup?You either have a 32-34 pickup or a 28-31 Model A Pickup?32-34 pickup doors interchange,30-31 model a pickup doors are the same as 30-31 tudor sedan doors and 28-29 Model a pickup doors are the same as 26-27 Model T doors.

3. Carter

Carter

28-9 A pickup interchange with 26-7 T coupe.

4. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Sorry, my understanding was the firewall was different on the 33/34 than the 32, leading me to believe mine is a 33/34. I'm still learning the model A. Was the firewall the same from 32-34?

Thank you for the information on the doors. Will roadster doors fit... If I ofcourse make it a roadster.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You're probably right on the year, firewalls were different between 32 and 33/34 but it's not an A-1928-31.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Like landseaandair says, model A's were 1928-1931 Fords. 32+ are not considered model a's. '32 pickup firewalls were the same as 32 passenger car and different from 33-34 pickup firewalls. The doors are the same for 32-34 pickups. If you cut the roof off, you will just have a pickup with the roof cut off, there is no stock roadster door that will fit.

7. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

That's the information ibwas looking for. Thank you. Finding doors for this thing is going to prove to be difficult.

Thanks

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Like the others said, it is NOT a Model A.
    If you want to make a roadster, buy lower door skins and you are almost there.....on the doors.
    You will have to do some serious bracing to keep the back wall of the cab in place.

BE SURE TO SAVE ANY AND ALL PIECES OF THE ROOF YOU CUT OFF

9. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Why not post pictures of what you have ?

10. NealinCA has built what is probably the best example of a 32-34 Closed Cab turned RPU. Lots of details need to be worked out in the process, or else the end result will just look like a half-assed closed cab with the roof cut off.

"TECH: 32 RPU Project - Roadster-izing a $50 Cab in 3 Simple Steps
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299603

11. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Finding those doors are like trying to find a buck tooth rooster. Ive tried!

12. If I was interested in a '32 RDPU I would take a long look at the body by Brookville. The original '32 RDPU looked very "commercial" while the Brookville one uses the '32 roadster cowl. Please don't cut the top off of a hard cab and try to make a roadster. Almost every one done this way looks like a hard cab that someone cut the top off of. Without extensive work the doors are too thick and the lines around the cowl don't "flow" (in other words it looks terrible).

Charlie Stephens

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yea...don't do it, they look terrible...;)

Neal

14. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Here is what I am starting with. I Have it up for sale in the classified section, but It didnt get much attention. So the more it sits in my garage, the more attention its getting from me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know a lot of guys have started with a lot less.

15. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Neal, your RPU is very nicely done!

16. That cab looks in great shape compared to what shows up in the Southeast.Looks solid.Hang in there and keep looking,doors show up every so often.You will probably have to get a rusty one and re skin it. It took me a couple of years to find an extra for my 34.By the way, your cab is a 34/

17. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Thank you! Since I'm new... how can you tell 33 from 34?

It is pretty solid, and cutting the top off makes me cringe. I would love to build it, and suppose it takes a few years to find doors, well that would be ok.

Does anyone make patch panels for the rear of the cab? it looks like it sat on its back for a while as it has some rust through on its back.

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

34 has the extra wide bead across the back of the cab. 33 has the same firewall but no rear wide bead.

19. Doug B

Doug B

Yeah,build a closed cab truck and look for the doors as you go. A guy on here recently bought a 33/34 truck,mostly all there including the doors for $700.Thats a ridiculous steal,but it can happen.

Also,what are those little tiny airplanes?

20. "Does anyone make patch panels for the rear of the cab? it looks like it sat on its back for a while as it has some rust through on its back."

Yes, but I can tell you where NOT to buy them.I bought a rear panel for mine from Wolf products and it did not even come close to having the same shape as the original.All of the ribs were either too wide or too narrow.You would probably be better off making your own.

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That's funny, my club brother bought one from them and it fits great!

22. Well he (Wolf) must have changed his method of making them.When did he purchase said panel? I bought one about a year ago and honestly,every single rib was too narrow and every single dip was too wide.I had to cut the hell out of it to make it usable.:mad:

23. Doesn't Speedway make a fiberglass complete extended 33-34 cab with doors? Will those doors work on a stocker? Beats having nothing at all.

24. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

I would run glass doors if I have too... Even chop em...

25. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

26. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

any idea on glass doors?