Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single Stage paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I have an off topic 4X4 vehicle that I want to paint, and eventually paint my '58 Apache as well.

Rustoleum is at the bottom of my list, so NO.

What other brands have some of you guys used? Are there better or worse brands to spray? And last question which ones have better longevity.

Any opinions and experiences or links would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I tore down my wifes modern Schwinn, she wanted a vintage Schwinn look to it.
    [​IMG]

Painted it with Rustoleum.....reduced by about %15 with Acetone. It layed down pretty good, but has been hanging for two weeks and is finally starting to harden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I prefer Spies/Hecker
    However, there are a multitude of good products on the market.
    I do suggest whichever product you choose, use the same system skin out.
    Most paint problems I have encountered was mixing products from one system in another.
    Spies/Hecker has fewer products in their system
    .[​IMG]

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've used Dupont Centurian 5000 or whatever it's called. Single Stage black. Just about the deepest black out there. Love it.

4. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

What was under the paint you put on the bike frame? I use Rustoleum all of the time with acetone as a thinner and it always dries in under an hour. If you didn't seal the original paint, that might be the problem.

5. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

x2 for Centurian

6. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I used Western on my race car with PPG clear coat over the single stage paint & it looks awsome & has held up for 12 years so far

7. I understand you do not want Rustoleum (which is fine). Just wanted to add that I painted my car with Tremclad (which is Rustoleums Canadian brand as I understand it) and I thinned 20% with mineral spirits (which is what the label on the can said I should use .. I do not know what Rustoleum recommends though) and I had no issues with the paint hardening. I am not expecting this paint to last for anything near 12 years but I do know that a repaint will cost me well under $100 when the time comes.

8. 31Hudson

31Hudson

Room temperature is huge in dry time. I painted my Barracuda with "Rust Not" with a different brand activator to thin it. Cost me $45 for the gallon and I almost used half of it...then used a paint maker to draw flames...

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

One of the best looking single stage jobs I have ever seen was a ppg single stage with a ppg clear over it. Wet on wet process. freaking rock solid.

10. I've been using NAPAs house brand, Cross Fire, Goes on as an acrylic enamel or urethane. Lays down flat and very durable. This paint is 3 years old and been baptized with salt at Bonneville.

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I hope you guys don't ever want to paint these cars with the proper paint.
    It won't be fun.

12. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I was going to use PCL primer, but like a lame ass spilled the hardner! So I resorted to a can of Krylon Primer I had lying around. The paint on the bike is dry now...but took a couple of weeks before my finger nails would stop leaving an imprint.

I had no idea you could spray a urethane clear over an oil based enamel. I'm going to have to spray a test panel just to see how it comes out.

13. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Wouldn't out gassing of the still curing single stage affect the clear?

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

I dont think that will work.

15. Spity

Spity

[​IMG]
    Thought Id throw this out there, this speeds up your rustoleum dry time.

Back on topic, ive had good results with PPG single stage.

16. Kind of not single stage anymore when you add clear.:D I have heard that if you cut you final coats of single stage with clear it gives it more of a lacquer look than the plasticy look of modern Base clear systems.

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Any good quality, modern, 2 component (uses a hardener) single stage paint from a trusted manufacturer will work. Painters often have their favorites, but in the real world, the good stuff works well. Not the cheaper versions, or off brands, though. I've used DUpont's Cenatari, Imron, Chroma-One, PPG's Deltron, Sherwin Williams, and they all work well. You get what you pay for!

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I like dupont product 's .Centari and also chromabase ,Sherwin williams isnt bad either....

19. terry48435

terry48435

I've heard the term "Hot Rod Black" used. Is that a brand? is it single stage?

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

As long as you use the same brand of single stage paint and clear it works together fine. No different than laying another coat of single stage color. Basically single stage urethane paint is clear with pigment in it. They both will use the same activator.

21. hotrod428

hotrod428

I use Carquests tractor & implement low gloss black but I thin it with lacquer thinner instead of acetone. it goes on nice and it hardens in about a day. it sells for about $25 a gal here.

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

X2....
    I've shot most and all lay out @ the same....even Martin-Senour lays nice with good gloss.
    The cheaper stuff, like Omni, just don't seem to lay down, cover, or be as glossy as the higher priced stuff...

Chromabase is just that....base. It needs cleared...;)

23. cozee

cozee

I've used Dupont, PPG, Spies-Heckler, Sherman Williams, Martin Senour, Xotic, Alsa, House of Kolor, and a few others I cannot remember. All good quality paint lines. Most have a base line paint for those looking to save a few $$ but what you save now may well cost you later. As mentioned, from skin out, try to stay within the same mfg's product line. Many a painting issue has arisen because of mixing product lines.

And for Reference, it is Dupont Centari 5000

24. PPG enamel on my hot rod.

25. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

i just painted the roof of my 55 with dupont. I basically just asked for a inexpensive but descent single stage paint, the guy at L&P here in Anaheim recommended the dupont. Its the new water based stuff, my buddy sprayed it, said it laid down better then he thought it would, hes sprayed alot of cars, and said he would use it. it hasent been wet sanded....yet.....and im happy with the results

another friend manages a colision center they use PPG, hes never had problems with their paint.

Attached Files:

26. LastMinuteMark ... are you sure it's water based? I always read that water based auto paint must be covered with a solvent based clear, therefore making it a 2-stage not a single stage.

27. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Maybe water based isnt the right term. California's new EPA requirements outlawed the solvent based paints......i've just been calling the new stuff water based. What my buddy sprayed for me is the new type of paint that meets the current EPA requirements....im not sure of the proper name for it.

Edit; looked it up last night....what was sprayed on my ride is a dupont, low V.O.C 2.8 urethane, mixed 4;1;2 with a catalyst and reducer.....well, at least i got the dupont part right....haha

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  28. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

They haven't outlawed solvent based paints, they are just chasing a certain VOC number. HOK has a non water two stage urethane that is VOC compliant, while PPG is trying hard to push their water stuff.

I've sprayed two stage water stuff before, once on a car and mostly bicycles and scale models.

Im not aware of any water based enamels though.

29. customrod48

customrod48

I've had good luck with PPG Concept acrylic urethane. Diddo about not mixing brands of sealers, primers, hi-builds etc. unless you really do your homework......

30. cozee

cozee

PPG is a very good, high quality, user friendly brand. The Concept line is a bit pricey. A good alternative to the Concept line is the Delfeelt Evolution. Don't let the idea of it being a fleet paint detour you.