Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 chevy front seat interchangable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by .C.D.O., Nov 24, 2010.

1. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

Quick question. Will the front bench seat from a 1954 Chevy wagon fit my 1950 Chevy 4 door? How bout the door panels? tried a search but to no avail. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

It probably do. dont think the 54 is any wider than your 50. ive had a 49 merc seat in my 49 chev.

3. May not bolt up exactly the same, measure first. Door panels, same deal, could be slightly different length and the rears will be different for sure. Door panels in those are pretty flat, would be easy to make. Tons of seats will fit in there, they're pretty wide, I have '64 Pontiac Gran Prix buckets in my '50, I had a '72 Skylark bench in another one and it was almost too narrow. If I had my choice, especially for a 4dr, I'd dig up a power split bench out of an 80s GM fullsize and run that. Take the headrests off and put some covers on and it looks like it belongs there, but way more adjustability and the ones I drove were always plenty comfortable.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I went in the other direction and bolted a seat from a '50 Chevy in my my first '53 Chevy, so it shouldn't pose a problem.

5. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

yeah i just may have a great deal on a tuck n roll bench, like a 40$ deal

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

no, the front and rear brackets are different, cause the mating surface on the floor pans are different. it could be made to work, since wagon stuff is more rare

7. Squablow

Squablow

I bet you could take the vinyl upholstery off of the '54 seat and hog ring it onto the '50 seat, giving you the good upholstery and keeping your stock seat mounting points. For $40 I'd be all over that even if the seat wasn't a direct fit, make the upholstery fit the original seat instead of swapping the whole seat.

8. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

for sure well what about the interior door panels? you think they' fit?

9. Squablow

Squablow

The door panels are going to be different. I parted a '52 wagon and those door panels were different sized than even a '52 car, so I highly doubt '54 wagon panels will fit onto a '50 sedan.

Again though, if the vinyl is good on those wagon panels, you could make new backer boards to fit your '50 and peel the vinyl off the wagon panels and glue them onto your new ones. The wagon ones should be bigger (they were in the case of my '52) so you'd just end up trimming some of the edges down. At that point, your only worry is if the window crank and door handle holes line up.

That's kind of a lot of work for door panels, but if they're cheap enough it'd be worth it. My guess is that neither the seat or the door panels are a direct swap, but you could make either work if the price is right.

10. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

yeah this dude gave me a bunch of material to use so im stoked, heres a pic of the seat...[​IMG]

11. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

I have no idea what its originally out of, he thought a ford maybe.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, that's definitely not a stock wagon seat, it's out of a 2 door car for sure. If it's the right width you should be able to make it work in your '50 no problem. Plus then you're all set if you ever do a 2 door conversion.

Those handles are definitely Ford, mid-later 60's. Looks like the vinyl might be dry cracking, rub it down with baby oil for a while and keep it somewhere warm, you want to soften the vinyl up as best you can so it doesn't crumble when you start sitting on it in the car.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

For 40$ if it dont fit put it in the garage!

14. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

$60 with all the interior panels too. I'm very, very lucky. It's not dry-cracking, that is just a few loose stitches but it does have a few tears. thanks for the heads up with the baby oil

15. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

Oh yeah the seat has one ashtray on the back only on the drivers side though