Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy coupe-Sled to Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Melzo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

We are used to it, . . . .completely. I guess you just have to know Dave.
    He gets a huge kick out of this entire thread. You guys are taking it too seriously. Maybe it does sound that way to some, whatever. I think he did that to stir some of you up:D

2. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

I went the other way - from the lifted in front street racer look to a lowered custom look - but I like what you did!
    LOOKS BITCHIN'
    And yeah I got a lot of people tellin' me I should have left it how it was, or how I should have done it..etc etc. Like you said Chris, to each his own!
    Keep it up man,
    CraigR

3. coryz28

coryz28
    from tulsa

Looks awesome! You guys did a good job.

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

This Chevy looks so cool as a custom, to jack it up like a four wheel drive trunk would be a shame. The Gasser look is cool at the drags period. :eek:

CRUISER :cool:

5. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

I have totally enjoyed this thread. I love sleds and gassers but it definitely takes balls to do a gasser style build "HANGEM HIGH". Cool car! Betcha can't wipe the grin off your face when you are driving down the road.

6. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Oh yeah. Ive been smilin quite a bit the last couple days. The car handles awesome. A lot better than I expected. A few months ago when I first posted a thread with a pic of the car and my intentions a lot of guys on here said "you're NOT going to want to drive a gasser style car on the street". I'll admit I was not looking forward to driving a squirrely car as a daily driver but its not bad at all. On the drive home from my shop I go through downtown Reno and it seemed like everyone on the sidewalks were pointing and taking phone pics. I even got a thumbs up from a couple of bicycle cops;) The headers are uncapped so everyone could here me coming and almost everyone was smiling. Some people just look puzzled:confused:. Like my neighbor, who"s not at all a car guy and has never heard the term "gasser":eek: Oh well, keeps it interesting just like this thread:D

7. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Now its snowing here so looks like its parked two days after its done!:(

8. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Another good pic

[​IMG]

Gary fields likes this.
  9. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Chris: The car looks great. I love sleds, but I love gassers more. My son and I are going to turn my 78 Mustang II into a tube axle gasser. Engine set back 10 inches, 351W with supercharger. It'll be a strip toy, not a street car. Enjoying your build! Thanks for posting pics of your steering box set-up. Drive it and enjoy it!

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looking forwad to seeing that bad F'er on the road I'll be keeping an eye out for it. looking good man

12. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

I like it, I called my wife over and without reading anything she said "ewww its way too high" and thats because we have a straight axle 55. I dont think it sits that high tho, and i like it......plus if you ever get tired of it the way it is, you could always change it! I think i looks good, love the wheels too!

13. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

What kind of box?

14. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Its been on the road for a couple weeks. Weather permitting, its in front of my tattoo shop, Black Cat Tattoo. 905 Wells Ave.

15. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

The cheapest vega box that Summit racing has. It was like $150. Also got the mounting plate and pitman arm from Summit.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool I'll check it out

17. good to see you got a few drives to work before the weather packed up.
    im keen to see what you guys are doin with the model As. ive just brought one myself.

18. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

no!

19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

how 'bout a gasser motor?

20. A 78 Mustang II gassed......hmmm.....ok .......ahhh jeez....hmmm......well I guess....probably the biggest moon tank up front with a big blue oval sticker.... Ford guy peeing on Chevy bowtie on back window......hmmm.... I can see it coming together....the hi-back buckets....some sequential tailites, Cobra stickers....Hey just poking some fun, no offense, if you like it I'm happy for you. Get er' done.:D

21. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Really a nice project. I will have to agree with a few, that the ride heigth is on the high side. You need a little kick down in the ass end. As a real driving gasser, you may have a white knuckle experience at drag strip speeds. Here is a shot of my Chevy gasser back in the 60s. No tube axle. Built blocks between the crossmember and main frame. Shoebox rear with 4.56 gears. New from the factory with additional mods 1962 "409" and T-10, 4speed. Ladder bars from rearend to just ahead of the front of the doors. (Big pry bars) Ran right at the National record back then.Your damn lucky to have a good welder for a buddy. Let us know how it works out on the road. countrygent

Attached Files:

22. mt94ss

mt94ss

Chris,

I'm so jealous! So driving an open header car in Reno is OK? I want to move to Reno. I know the Harley guys get away with it, I never thought of running my car wide open. Yours must sound awesome driving at speed... cops shouting over the din if the engine - does it get any better?

I like Dave's burnie video too!

Drive it like you stole it!

Later,

Mike

23. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

24. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

25. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Right now its got a goodwrench crate 350 with big cam, dart heads, noisy gear drive and edelbrock stuff on top. Id love to have a BBC in there, but my engine guy here in town is building me a 383 stroker with 400 crank, flat top pistons, tunnel ram, etc. Hes doin it in exchange for tattoo work;) I love to trade.

26. i dig it! i like 'em high like that. screw what the others say. it's your car. Street Freaks rule!

27. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Thanks man!

28. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Love it ! I really like both but im a bit partial to the gasser style...

g7.jpg

29. ray

ray
    from colorado

that steering looks way more scary than the welds.