Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slip yoke length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vw505, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vw505

vw505
    from Lemoore,CA

I have a 64 Falcon with a 289 and c4 tranny. I put in a 8.8 rear end needed a new drive shaft the one that was in there from the 9" was to long. I took an alminum one out of an explorer and with the yoke for the C4 on it and bolted in place the slip in 2 1/4" I know the optimel lenght in 1" . I can get a spacer for a mustang that in 11/16" and it will bring me closer to the 1", so after a long winded post how much slip in the yoke is to much?

[​IMG]

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, you lost me along the way, but I was taught to push the yoke in all the way, then pull out 5/8"-3/4" and measure center to center with yokes in rear end.

3. vw505

vw505
    from Lemoore,CA

When i got my first one done that is what i did, but i was told 1" . I have 2 1/4" is that to much and what could happen if i drive it? I dont think it will fall out the splind area is almost 8" long.

4. Yes sir, this would be the correct way to go.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I had to make changes in my build after I had driveshaft built and the spaceback is 1&3/8". I'm going to try it and if it's got a vibration, you can guess what my first change will bw!
    Dave