Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help! chopping my 29 sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skottyknukkles, Nov 26, 2010.

1. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

i have started to chop my 29 sedan and would like to see some tech picktures. i have most of the chop done but am getting stuck on the front pilliars. tryed the search engine on here and end up reading build threads instead of finding what i need, thanks scotty

2. floored

floored

3. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

thanks! any one have more pics. i like to see all my options and already have cut my pillars in a different spot.

4. harald

harald

What area did you cut the posts.I did my 29 sedan a while ago maybe can help you out if you post some pics of the problem. I did a 6" chop. Didnt take any pics at the time but will help if I can.

5. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

I will take some pics tonight thanks

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I did a '29 about 15 years ago, I think you have to pie cut and widen the top just a bit to line things up. Did you cut and drop the back window so you don't have a mail slot?

7. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

I only chopped it three inches. I'm not into the mail slot either but I did take three out of the back. I pinched all the window frames in the back and all of that came out good. Just the front is a problem. Where I want things to sit throws off he upper hinge alignment. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I just wanted some pics of other peoples chops. I started with junk might end up with junk!

8. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

9. bluestang67

bluestang67

Here the link to my album you can see the picks in the . What I did was you 1 1/2 inch painters tape , I sprayed over it and pulled it off . I cut it short of the paint and when the top was off ground down to the paint line gave me a very straight line when both parts are mated .

I used the small pieces I cut out in the pillars , Cut them to fit inside and rosette welded them in . This way when we put the top back on it was helping in the line up and holding the top in place ..

When you cut the front windshield pillars it has a taper in them . You will have to pie cut to get them to match up . If you watch where you cut you can reinstall the windshield pivot back in the next lower slot .

I will also add Rolfes 31 coupe build here he really documented his chop very well . This page is very well laid out also .

http://www.classicroad.com/modelA/index.htm

http://rides.webshots.com/album/564663322gqoWzG?start=24

10. harald

harald

Here is a link to the full chop procedure that I found helpfull. Still dont know what the problem is without a picture. The top hinge will be closer to the centre one,but should still line up.I put all three hinges together when I was ready to tack the door back together so that the hinges would be in the right spot and lined up.
    http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2222

11. harald

harald

I chopped the whole 6" out of the back window and its not a MAIL SLOT. Its still plenty big .

12. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

Thank for the links and help fellas. If you go to my build thread of the sedan you can see all that went in to make the body a car again. I had to force some of the panels together with rqchet strap and clamps. I braced the shit out of it but I think some where in the process the pilliars tweaked out of shape. Now the door is too close to the rear quarter and the front isn't lining up like it did. I guess I was just expecting it to go smoother that's all. I have sometime in the morning to screw with it. I'll post pics for all that are curious.