Register now to get rid of these ads!

pertronix craped out going back to points Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1941ihkb5, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I swapped my points distrubuter over to the pertronix module few years ago. It started acting up a little. Missing at wot, Ok no biggie Ill fix this winter. Well my trucked crapped out this afternoon. Of corse by the time I get home and find out what the problem is napa is closed. Ok so now I go to store "B". Run by clueless people. Points and condencer for a slant six. $10.37 ok great I open the box no cam lube I tell the kid at the counter I want cam lube. He goes to the manager after a short bit returnes to me and says. The Manager said he wouldnt use lube. Instead of loosing my cool I just mumbled Im not the Mc Manager and left. What is a good substitute for distributer lube anyway seeing that my points didnt come with any? Mabe I can get some at NAPA tomorrow?

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

3. RAY With

RAY With

a slight amount of vasaline on the cam--then install the points--always worked for me

4. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

OK! Thanks a bunch guys. I was thinking mabe using a small amount of vasaline on the cam. Figured it couldnt hurt.

5. The PerTronix carry a 30 month warranty, so send it back if it isn't older than that and we'll replace it

6. rustyangels

rustyangels

Which Pertronix I II or III?

7. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Thanks for the offer hotroddon, I installed back last century LOL, 98-99ish. Guess its a little more than a few years. Can't kick ran the hell out of her sinse I droped them in. She even saw some time at New England Dragway down the 1/4! I noticed that autozone had some on the shelf behind the counter while I was getting my points, waiting for the Mc Manager to make a decision on the "Wheres the cam lube?" issue. Probially would have baught another unit if I knew they readilly available.Had to special order mine back at my favroite speed shopback then.

8. OK cool. 11-12 years ain't bad but most last a lot longer than that even, My old Mustang has had one in it since 1983, long before I worked for them.

9. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I wouldn`t complain about getting 10+ years of service outta it.

10. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Whats the weak point on these units, heat? Its in a 68 A100 pickup, Big cam, headers four barrel carter ect, It gets HOT in there even after wrapping the header! Even though the distributer and coil is on the right away from the heat, well kinda. I usually will run 600 miles to an event sometimes. I have a 65 A100 with a 273, with a pertronix i put in back in 02-3? The original engine is gettin tierd. So a healthy low milage late model 318 is going in the hole,- Hardened valves new oil friendley ect.

11. The two biggest causes of failures we see are voltage spikes caused by poor grounds (in the distributor, the distributor to the motor and motor to chassis) or weak voltage caused by Old wiring that doesn't supply constant voltage, especially in cars with a resistor wire from the factory.

12. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Im not knockin it! I was happy with the unit ! Didnt know it was readilly available at parts stores (If I did Id buy a new one). Just had a question about cam lube on points. Dummies telling me I didn't need cam lube on the cam , And when someone tells me something oposite Im hard wired for.(Theres no twenty year old or any one else for that matter tellin me you dont lube the cam on a points distributer)! I feel I got good service out of the petronix unit. I didn't realise they made three (upgraded?)versions over the years! I'm sure there new units even better today!

13. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Everyone's got an opinion, but I'd have a hard time believing someone who told me that any kind of points ignition was the best. Functional, sure. The best? Not even close...

14. I wouldnt go back to points for any thing,Ive got points in my 56 and as soon as I have the cash I will put a PERTRONIX unit in it,I had one in my 32 and my 39 and they were great,.......points belong on the end of pencils.........JMO

15. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

I have had a pertronix in my 65 ford falcon wagon for ever. We would take it out and use it in my friends dirt track race car on the weekends. The only time we ever had a problem was when his battery would get low it would smoke his pertronix. Then we would use mine again. He finally cooked mine with another low battery. I will buy another one they awesome.

16. I just had my pertronics II crap out on me no warning car died like I shut off the key. Sent it back after talking with the tech. It was beyond the warranty period ,but they fixed it sent it back.They never said what was wrong. I have no complaints with how they handeled it. I now have an old Mallory dual point under the seat ,cause you not likely to find a pertronics II in an auto parts store here.