Register now to get rid of these ads!

need to come up with 500 bucks quick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. butterboy

butterboy

I sold my OT 1970 c10 to buy something older. 47-54 Chevy 3100. My dream truck, unicorn if you will. I looked at a 1950 today I have to have. Clean body no motor transmission. This truck is screaming for the 250 three speed I have been saving. Only thing that stands in my way is being 500 dollars short. So what should I do? The Guy will not move off his price. Let it go and keep looking or sell something quick. Is scrap up?
    Thanks guys.

2. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I would sell something if you really want this one.

3. F&J

F&J

yes scrap is decent. Go get scrap donations from car friends .

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Sell.....................or you will only ask yourself for the rest of your life .............if only ...?...?

5. ARNIE

ARNIE

Scrap is UP! I'd buy it , pay down with what you have, let him keep it till you get the last $500.Just ask him for the time, he should understand! Good Luck~!

6. brewsir

brewsir

Ask him to hold it for you with a hefty deposit and get it in writing. Then whore yourself out and make the extra 500 as fast as possible. Scrap is good ...but you need a truck to haul it! (got a friend with a truck?) maybe sell something on craigslist...old parts,collectible stuff??

7. Zerk

Zerk

If the truck is off the beaten path and isn't listed anywhere then you may have time on your side.
    Don't give up. And if the seller tells you he's got somebody interested in buying, don't forget that he's saying the same thing to that guy...about you. Play the game smart, don't get pushed into something.
    Wish you the best of luck! And suggest checking frame and body carefully, as some of those Old Navy trucks that were resold might be cut up or otherwise messed with.

8. You can probably find $500 worth of clothes you don't wear or stuff you don't use to put on eBay. If you really want it, give him the cash you have and ask him to give you a couple weeks to come up with the balance.

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pawn shop. what kinda crap you got laying around? duplicates of stuff. garage / yard sale. plasma center is usually good for $50.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

What ever you do get it all in writing, if you give him a deposit, and ask for time on the rest. I have known guys to lose a lot of money, by not getting their money back, after they put the deposit down, and the deal fall through. You don't want to end up in small claims court.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Take whatever you got for the c-10 and put it down on your dream. Surely in these times he will understand about you needing some time to come up with the rest. Be sure to tell us about the outcome and post some pictures.

Frank

12. choptop50

choptop50
    from Las Vegas

I have forgot about at least 50 cars i had to have because it was always replaced with the next one I had to have. I think save your money up until you know you have enough to go buy one out right, that way your not selling stuff cheap you know you should not have. my .02.

13. butterboy

butterboy

Let me ask this. Solid truck some surface rust no motor all stock complete body clean title. The owner will not budge from 3000. Am I just blinded by the fact that its a 1950 5 window 3100 or is that a fair price? Oh and the wife said if I want it do it so....

14. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Provide some collateral to a friend for the cash and go get it?
    Tools,second kidney,first born,???

Best of luck!

15. butterboy

butterboy

Ok I'm heading out to the garage to see if hording parts I don't need is going to pay off. Haha. Craigslist here I come. I hate dealing with all the deadbeats on there but its for a good cause. I want this truck. Thanks guys.

16. brewsir

brewsir

Sounds a little high to me but out here I could get one for less than that ....with a SBC/t350!!!

17. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I would make the best offer you can, Even if you're short of his "firm" price. Say thats my offer, and thats all I got. That offer will spin around in the guys head awhile and you'll probably get a call to come pick it up. $2500 seems VERY fair to me. I'd offer less than that. I think guys that put "firm" on their price, don't really want to sell...

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im not gonna reccomend this Go to the bank and tell them you want a cash advance on your credit card ,They will charge a fee ,But that would be the fastest ,I bought my first truck that way.

19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

sounds high but maybe it's an amazing truck

20. 3 grand is too much for a pick up with no running gear. Make him an offer and leave it at that. Doubt he'll get any other takers at that price.

21. Doug B

Doug B

Have any of you guys ever sold a truck or car this way? I have been burned too many times by"I'll pay you the rest later" guys...Cash is King.

This right here is good advice

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

have you considered prostitution? Change your name to Buttered Butt.

sorry, I just couldn't resist.

If you like it and just have to have to it, then tell him your story and ask for his understanding. If you can't budge him, then pay what you have and let him keep it until you can generate the remaining balance due.

best wishes!

23. 3k sounds like a little much for a 3100 with no motor, I hope the body is in great shape. If not then I would say no more than 2k. But, sometimes you just gotta go for it if it feels right, lay some money down and go sell some $hit!

24. Never2low

Never2low

I think 3 large is a little high. I paid $5500 for my 50' three window, absolutly no rust, older black laquer paint, 235-4speed, alum. rims, running and driving. Then I took it apart:(. Offer $2500 and walk away. It may suprise you to know, it's not the only AD pick-up in the country. They're everywhere, hehe....:D

25. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

price is way to high.

there are 3 47-54 chevy trucks on ebay and craigslist in kansas city, for under a grand right now, and 2 of them have motors.

26. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Tell him it's Christmas, offer him what you can afford to spend, and leave him your phone number. It is tough to sell a car right now, much less to find a buyer with cash for a discretionary purchase like an old truck. Do what you can to raise the money in the meantime, but don't do anything stupid, like a cash advance loan. It's Christmas-I sold cars for 25 years, and the only thing that sold was transportation for kids, college students home for the holiday, or gifts for kids. Be patient, be polite, stand your ground. It will be harder to find a buyer after the holidays. He wants your money (it's Christmas), or he's not serious.

27. Jibs

Jibs

What else do you have to sell? I'm looking for some parts for my 68 C-10, and I'm not too far away. JJibs

28. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Truck is too high....it better be in unmolested mint shape complete for $3K...

I think 2500 is too high as well.... and $2000....eh, now your getting there...

If you really want it....make your offer and leave your number.....

29. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

That price is way too high. I think he knows he has you hook, line, and sinker that's why he won't budge off the price. I am not trying to dog on you, I just don't want to see you get hosed but that is way too much. You can find cheaper prices than that.

30. Route 66 fan

Route 66 fan

At least here in Texas, $3000 will buy you a rust-free complete running 5-window. Those trucks are everywhere. Around here we see those (no running gear) rides sell for $1500-2000.

Dont be blinded ... I was with the avatar on my profile ... paid for it dearly!