Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. possum11028

possum11028
    from Charlotte

2. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

Wow..2 different brands racing tire on that #3 Nova.Wonder how a tire rule like that would work nowadays.

3. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

Exactly what I've been thinking!

4. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

have lurked for quite a while.....first post....LOVE this thread.....have looked at the whole thing twice..... grew up going to little bullrings, not much into drag racing.....guy sent me this pic on another site, dont know who or where but love the pic....these are the cars I love.....I have a 1999 ARCA car that Im putting a 69 chevelle body on and making a track day/street car out of....Doug

[​IMG]

5. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

heres some pics of the race car...before and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

7. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

some other random shots from other sites....Mr Hamke of Hamke chassis fame and Bobby Allisons old Chevelle Sportsman/Busch car that was on Ebay awhile back..D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

9. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Bobby Holmberg at World famous Islip Speedway

10. lawman

lawman

Those are great pictures Guys !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

WAY TO GO, bumpnrun! Retro your chassis! I love it!

It also proves that it can be done with today's chassis. Wouldn't this be a great racing series? Not exactly vintage, but let's say bodies from 60 through 75 or so? All that's judgemental, of course, and subject to revision. Even go back to 55, maybe. Race 'em on short tracks where aerodynamics doesn't come into play.

Maybe take it a step further and require that they be replicas of historic cars. Example, a Chevelle like that Allison car. A 55 Chevy like one driven by Herb Thomas. A 64 Chevelle like Darrell Waltrip's. Possibilities are endless.

Hmmmmm. I'm available as an administrator or whatever at a very reasonable rate.

12. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

In 2008,just before the NASCAR truck race on the Milwaukee Mile,they ran a vintage stock car race..a replica of #13 Smokey Yunick Chevelle won the thing.Some folks are trying to get a Vintage thing going in the upper Midwest.

13. lostspeedway.webs.com

lostspeedway.webs.com
    from Wisconsin

Jared "ZIP" Zibolsik with one of his cars he ran at the Neillsville Race Track.
    [​IMG]

14. bowsher21

bowsher21

indybigjohn,
    There are many of us in the Midwest that have been working to get such a series going. Sometimes hard to call it "Vintage". Too many differing opinions keeps us splintered.
    Some groups have 100% stock cars consisting of no cage, 2bbl carb and cast intake/exhaust, painted like your choice replica. I call them street stock, cheap and very dangerous.
    Next group requires full cage built into stock chassis with unlimited motors. Very expensive to build for $50 show up money and still can be scary looking due to the builders skills.
    A third typ of series allow any 75 or older body hung over any offset chassis and any motor. Can you say $35k old Motor
    The group I run with is a class within the Midwestern Council Sports Car Club (MWSCC). Our class is GTSC (Grand Touring Stock Car). Open to any former NASCAR class, any USAC or ARCA cars or any home built car that meets construction specifications. Our cars are inspected before every event and drivers are required to have complete driver suits with current Snell helmets. Such tight safety requirements seems to be the reason our group stays around 8 to 16 cars depending on the event.
    I have a racing promoter with interest in doing a show at Milwaukee, I have an independent sales rep that specializes in racing that lives near Milwaukee with interest in the marketing side of such an event. Our biggest issue seems to be car count and mixing current Cup chassis with "replica stock cars" chassis, safety wise.
    Oh, I allmost forgot, we might need a flagger. Any takers?

J.Hylton, B.Bodine, S.Robinson, T.Houston, R.Petty, W.Burton, All Real cars. 71 D.Marcis replica.

15. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

Keep the rules simple..'79 or older bodies,10" wide tires,no dry sump engines,no coil over suspension,...and good roll cages and safety equipment.Good to go

16. 35outlaw

35outlaw

I would like to see a class with an updated chassis,and 80's era late model bodies. They would look like the All pro / ASA days. I would call them retro-late models, the bodies are still available. All of the cars look the same now days.

17. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

Hey Chuck, Can't be 100%,but I think I ended up with that Monte Carlo SS body of Dotters for a Mid-American car,way back then

18. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

This is Donnie Pendleton from Columbus area at Kil-Kare in 1970 or 1971. These Plymouths were BAAAD race cars !

Enjoy !

Vegas_Oldtimer

[​IMG]

19. trying to scall in mine
    it does not want to scan will try again

20. lawman

lawman

Well guys, I like the idea of bringing the older bodies back. If NASCAR
    lets in VWs to race in the next few years it,s going to be the end of me.
    I have followed NASCAR, ARCA and ASA from about 1958 to this day.
    Every time an "Off shore car" wins a race it makes me want to throw up!!!!
    As some have stated "They all look alike now". It's all about money now and these drivers don't care what they drive.Sorry to rant. LOL Tom (Tired Old Man) BTW In the old days the drivers took pride in the brand of cars they drove but now that has gone down the tube !!!!!

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Wow! I never dreamed there would be that much interest in this kind of thing, or that somebody already had the ball rolling, so to speak. I should have known, because there are a lot of us OFs around.

Bowsher21, too old and infirm to climb into a flagstand, but I think my son would like it. I'd like to be in on the administration, and help with the PR. I love getting the word out about this kind of thing. And I work pretty damn cheap, too. Let's keep in touch.

22. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

have you guys checked out this site www.historicgrandnational.com ?
    some great cars turning left and right.....that cool Torino in previous posts is in there.

have you heard of the Southern Ground Pounders? www.sgpvintageracing.com .....they have old school bodies on modern chassis in a Late Model and Modified short track series

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  23. thanks sears point was in my home track

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The SGP group sounds like the closest thing to what I'm thinking. I just somehow believe this would be a fantastic series.

25. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of Stokey Hamberg's "Goldfinger" car from around 1965. Raced mostly around the Owensboro area. [​IMG][​IMG]

26. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

[​IMG]

Stokey Hamberg and Woody Martin after the Kentucky State Championship modified stock car races at "Kentucky Speedway." Hamberg won the "A" Main and Woody the "B."

Anyone know exactly what speedway is being referred to in this caption that they call "Kentucky Speedway?" Was that KMS in Whitesville or something different?

27. that is me in the convertable
    the check is 2nd place winnings
    Antioc Speedway CA

I also worked Petaluma Speedway
    With Workin Woodie & World of Outlaws pics later

28. EllisSpeedway

EllisSpeedway

[​IMG]

From Kentucky Motor Speedway Program, not for sure of exact year. Looks like around '69 or '70....had "Waltrip" misspelled.

29. lostspeedway.webs.com

lostspeedway.webs.com
    from Wisconsin

We sure appreciate what this site is doing for the cause. So glad we stumbled across it. Sure wish the good ol' days would repeat themselves. When Stock Cars looked like cars. Go Fast and Turn Left.

30. at work an outlaw sprinter Petaluma Speedway