Register now to get rid of these ads!

non dropped I beam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sigschott, Nov 27, 2010.

1. sigschott

sigschott
    from Everett

I'm using a non dropped I beam on my '31 pickup, I also want to get it low, and was wondering if anyone had any cool picture of different ways to do it. Thanks

2. 1. Need to get a spring with reverse loops (Loops point up instead of down)

2. Get a spring that is as low profile as possible when under load.

3. Raise the crossmember on the frame and make cut outs on the frame to accomodate spring

4. Smaller diameter wheels/tires on the front. lol

edit:
    5. could get a spring/shackle setup that sits behind the axle...and therefore lower. This would require pretty significant changes. You'd have to have the cross member for the spring mount either moved backwards or the axle moved forward with longer bones...steering arm...etc....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reversing the eyes on the spring will get you a little bit but unless you are going for the look of an undropped axle for some reason (besides not spending the money).

Guys modify or swap the front crossmember, step or Z the frame and a bunch of other mods to get low depending on how low they want to go.

It still goes back to how you want the rig to look when you are done then figure out how to get it done right.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only reason I can think of to run an undropped axle is if you are keeping mechanical brakes on an "A" or early V8. If cost is an issue, save up for a bit and get your axle dropped - it will be worth it in the long run. Barring that, to get most early Fords to a respectable ride height, you will need a reverse eye spring anyway, so now is a good time.

5. mine has a stock 37-41 axle. But it's not a stock frame and I'm running suicide style front end so we could get it lower by raising the spring mount and low profile reverse eye spring.

If I were to run on a stock frame I'd think it would be a lot less work to just get a dropped axle as well.

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

"Z" the frame, but that introduces a whole host of other issues that you'll need to deal with. Or spend a few hundred and get a dropped axle.

7. need louvers ? nailed it. Might take a couple springs out as well. There are several discussions on the board about this subject. Have fun!

8. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If you are running a suicide spring mount it is simple. Just raise the mount. See my avatar.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ok 31 pickup

Make?
    Full fendered ?
    No fenders?
    Channeled?
    Z ed?
    Suicide mount?
    Spring in front?
    Spring on top?
    Spring behind?
    Quarter elliptic?
    There’s dozens of variations …… you should give more info on your build plan.