Register now to get rid of these ads!

HTP tig welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilclay81, Nov 26, 2010.

1. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

Alright looking at these htp tig welders is anyone using one of these welders. Just looking for some insight on these tig welders. I was looking them over online i seen that there smallest little welder can weld 3/16 inch steel. Its only a 700 welder. You have to spend at least $2ooo grand to buy a miller welder that can weld that thick. Any info woud be greatly appreciated.

2. You couldn't give me any other machine than a Miller/Hobart. Fact is they are probably the only manufacturer that HONESTLY gives spec's for thier machines. A NEW DIVERSION 165 will weld 3/16" SINGLE PASS and is only LIST @ $1650. You have gotten some bad info. Most of the other guy's are NOTORIOUS for exagerating the capacity of thier machines. Dont go by list price on thier web site, pricing out there if you shop around is very competitive with the off brands. Miller/ Hobart service is second to none, IMHO, no one even comes close. I have been using the products for over 30 years- 0 complaints. Sorry, but a $700 welder is just that, a $700 welder. BDM

3. I've never used the one your talking about, but I think for only $700, I don't think you can compare to a Miller. I spent a lot on my Miller, but I figure it will last me for a long, long time. For the most part, you get what you pay for

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i have htp tig inverter and liked it so much i sold my miller 180

5. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

6. I bought my used Econotig on C List for $700. It works great.

7. LZ

LZ

FYI:
    I lurk this site and they have a write up on a HTP

http://hre.com/HTPInvertigreview.html

Happy Thanksgiving
    Luke

8. bluestang67

bluestang67

9. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

Well I've used q miller before an esab tig welder all great machines. Even lincoln is good. I have a miller MIG and a miller plasma cutter. But it seems from all there specs they are a very comparable machine to all of them. Also sometimes you are just paying for the name. But you do pay for what you get. The only thing is getting parts for htp seems like you would have to order parts. I guess I will have to check around some more. I would love a miller but the htp can do all the same for.a better price. Plus takes up less space.

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I have a HTP TIG machine; can't recall the model without going to the shop to look. I have had a Miller DialArc HF machine for 20+ years. The Miller is a transformer-type welder while the HTP is an inverter-style. My main issue with the HTP WAS that it produced a yellow rather than blue-white arc and I couldn't see to weld with it. After a lot of experimentation, I bought a new helmet with a GOLD lense...problem solved.

Some peoples eyes respond to the inverter arc by seeing it as yellow, like I did. You may not have that trouble but if you do the gold lens is the answer.

Overall, it's an ok machine but I would not purchase another inverter welder.

11. bill wallace

bill wallace

Buy the best welder you can afford even if you go into a little debt to do it. You will have this machine the rest of your life & the quality of your welding will in part be determined by the ability of the machine. Miller & Lincoln welders are the standard of the world & built right here in the USA.

12. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

The HTP is a nice machine. I have the inverter 200 water cooled HTP and love it. Going on 8yrs with it at a semi profesional capacity. Ive welded steel, stainless, alum, cast, and copper.
    Ive welded with all american brands, transformer and inverter and even a car sized Linde. For the money you cant beat the HTP.
    Ive used HTP plasma cutters also and really liked them. Small and powerfull.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It usually boils down to availability of service and parts on welders. Miller, no problem, Linclon, no problem, Hobart, no problem, Esab no problem. No matter what the price savings if you have to box it up and ship it off to have it worked on or you have to order parts and wait for them to show up in the mail or big brown truck that cuts into your time you could be using the machine. I'm not saying don't buy it but check with your welding supply house about getting parts and service first.

I'd watch Craigslist and put a bug in the ear of the guy I did business with at the local welder's supply. You might pick up a trade in or repo or get steered to a guy who needs to sell one there.

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

My 2 cents
    700 buck and you are welding but if you wont to up grade to a bigger welder down the road you wont get shit for your old welder. plus keep you money in the USA

15. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

the 120 and 160 htp is dc only, it wont weld aluminum, this is why its a bit cheaper... duty cycles arent to good either..

i bought a tig welder a few yrs ago.
    i searched long and hard, was in the same boat as you, looking for a budget machine..

i finally said screw it an bit the bullet.. millers were just too expensive compared to a couple other machines a couple yrs ago.. at the time miller didnt have the miller diversion165, the diversion165 was actually a hobart model.. miller owns hobart now... the hobart ez-tig 165 and the diversion 165 are the same machines just different colors.. both are around $1300 miller has a diversion180 for around $1600.00

what i found looking at tigs, to get a good machine you have to spend around $1500+ for a good ac/dc unit... and thats the diversion 165 or hobart ez-tig both 165 amp machines and too small i think.. so i went up to 185amp tig welder... back then miller didnt have a 180-185 amp machine. now they have the diversion180, i'm sure this would be a good machine, its also dual voltage 110/220v...

if i were buying a tig now i would be mainly looking at the Lincoln precision tig 225, good looking machine i think...http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1873/LINCOLN-PRECISION-TIG-225/Detail

when i bought my tig welder i got to looking at Thermal Arc, yep not red or blue, i ended up buying the Thermal Arc 185, this machine will actually hit 195 amps, it weighs 40lbs.. this machine at the time compared to the miller and the lincoln precision tig 175 (has been discontinued) was cheaper and had alot more features for the money... i really like the thermal arc alot, i think it makes me a better welder actually, its extremely stable.. i would by another one and can recommend one.. very happy with it.. i give like $1800 for mine when i bought it new, they have raised the price on these units over the past couple years.. http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1633/THERMAL-ARC--TIG/Detail

if i were looking to buy a new tig machine now i would look at 3 welders first would be Thermal Arc 185 after i bought mine i find its a badass welder for the money. then it would be the Lincoln precision tig 225 mainly for the amperage, then the Miller diversion 180, i think the miller dynasty's are priced to high..

next, i would have to look at ebay and craigslist, seems like there are some syncrowave 250's popping up very reasonable.. seen a couple lastnight on ebay starting out around $1500.... the 250amp syncrowaves are cadillacs.

last i would look at the chinese stuff, yep the chinese junk.. for the money i think more hobby/home users are going to go this route and i see it already.. lincoln and miller better pay close attention to these chinese pieces of crap actually... 2 brands are standing out with good customer service Everlast and Longevity are the top 2, the downfall will be they are not going to be serviced locally.. both of these companies have dual purpose units, plasma and tig in one unit and they are priced very reasonable, and actually you dont see too many people having problems with them... and the ones that do have trouble get a full replacement or helped very quick, and they are honoring their warranties very good... i myself dont like the dual pupose units, just more to go wrong.. they also have tig only units and plasma only units..
    everlast 200amp ac/dc tig inverter with pulse for like $1099 http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerTig 200DX-351-pd.html think for home use i'd almost have to try one.. even the everlast 250ex http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerTig 250EX-381-pd.html is $1600 for a 250amp machine... if i were a home user and wasnt worried alot about down time, if it even happened i would almost have to try an everlast or longevity machine.. both are priced the same.. these are the 2 most popular chinese brands.. alot of people on weldingweb.com have them and are happy with them.. i didnt know of these machines when i bought mine, i would have bought one of the everlast 200dx units for $1000 more than likely.... i still might buy one and try it..

i know i'll probably catch some crap about the chinese stuff, dont care if i do.. but you guys better not open up your red and blue machines and look where the components come from..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  16. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

17. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Gearhead, i also have been welding with dial-arc hf, was thinking of a inverter for portability, why would you not buy another?????

18. TV

TV

I have an HTP Tig and a Mig and love them both, my shop welder loves my Tig and uses it whenever he can. I don't think you can go wrong with them.--TV

19. uncle buck

uncle buck

Cause he knows he can always use my Miller dial-arc hf if he wants to....
    I know he has also commented on the adapting to change after using the same welder for 20+ years. I think alot of it was the relearning curve after buying it. Sometimes change sucks.

20. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Actually the yellow arc drove me nuts 'til I figured it out. Called HTP....never heard of such a thing as a yellow arc....completely useless customer service. I sold the Dial-Arc cause I quit welding aluminum; wanted to down size for lighter steel work. Wish I had kept the Miller. I built a cart for my Dial-Arc and made up a 75 ft. long power lead...weighed a ton but I never needed it anywhere but inside the shop. I believe that you get what you pay for in tools.

There is actually nothing really wrong with the HTP, now that I got it figured out. But as I said earlier, I don't thing I'd buy another one.