Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked50, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Wicked50

Wicked50

I was just curious, is it OK to use Easy-off oven cleaner to get all the grease and gunk of my engine?

2. aaggie

aaggie

Most of the oven cleaners are corrosive. If you get it on anything Aluminum it will etch the finish. Use the spray cans of Gunk degreaser, it works great and costs about the same.

3. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

For light oil film and road grime I have used SHOUT for years. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes, then hose it off. It does not attack rubber or spot metal because it is made to disolve oils but be gentle on washers and the cloths.

4. 73RR

73RR

I recently found a non-aerosol cleaner at O'Riellys, 1-qt size IIRC and about $4. Works great.

5. rustdodger

rustdodger

It's a bit of a shock for me to learn you are allowed to own Easy Off in California!You pose the question is it OK to use Easy Off to clean a motor. I'm not sure it's OK to use oven cleaner to clean a motor but I have done it. I've seen it the motor so clean that when I rinsed it off it got a thin coat of rust instantly. I've seen the posts about oven cleaner being bad for Aluminum. I'm not saying that they're wrong but I don't remember any problems on the motors I've cleaned with oven cleaner, though they likely had very little Alum. on them. I might have just got lucky.I wasn't looking for the Aluminum to BE damaged at the time. Bear in mind MY goal was just to get the sludge off not to prep for a show finish. If you have the Easy Off in hand experience tells me it works fine, be sure to rinse within a few minutes and rinse well.There may be other stuff that works as well It's a big world and there is lots I haven't done. I suspect that if you are caught doing this in California you will do similar time to someone that causes the death of an Eagle by force feeding it Spotted Owls or visa versa. My$.02 worth

6. smarg

smarg

"Easy off" works great, just keep it away from the important stuff...

Brother's Nailhead, after easy off treatment....

Attached Files:

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I use Dawn detergent and a steam cleaner I bought from QVC. Worked great and I don't have to repaint the motor.

8. I second the use of Gunk engine degreaser,follow up with dawn dish detergent and then tide or some other kind of detergent that will remove grease and oil without attacking the rubber parts. Rub it in with a stiff bristle brush,sponge,rags or whatever-Spray off with clear water or wash off with a sponge if you don't want the stuff going all over the place.
    Sometime takes a few applications-not hard work -just dirty.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Easy-Off will take the paint off, too.