Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Another ugly East Coast custom: The Ferreira '49 Merc coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

EShhhhh I've been in them parts YAY for the MD-NJ drive. All I can say is Kudos to you for being there for her. Did that passenger side door kick your ass again or did you convince it to close correctly? You should be getting all the parts this week... Drive safe hope Christina feels better. I sent KoolKemp a PM earlier explaining my Lords of the Ring moment HAHA

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

looks great...nice flow on the chop

3. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

[​IMG]

Passenger Side finally opening and shutting correctly, Chris has removed and installed this door mmmm maybe 15+ times!! Perfectionist?? The door seam looks good too! Also on the list of accomplishments, a Tbird Radiator has been scored with trans cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Nice, haha. You can see where I dropped the door and waffled the lower skin of the patch. Smooth move. I didn't really care because most of it got cut out when I rounded teh door bottom anywho, but yeah the passenger side rocker is on, lower quarter is there (have to make wheelwell lip now) and there is about a day and a half into the trunklid which I suppose is now going on my '51 coupe after all that.

After going through all the work to strip down the '79 Olds 98 to just a floor and firewall, I am about 99% sure I'm scrapping the idea and fixing my coupe on the stock frame. The steering box was super tight, and got me to checking out the rest. Turns out the dash says 60k miles, and everything else on teh chassis seems to agree with it. So, new floors/rockers/blah blah on my car too now. Booh.

5. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Emailed Chris the other day, he made some crazy 19 hour trip to get the remaining parts missing for the build. Sounds like he has everything needed to complete the car now. I'm pretty sure after his "I hate this car" message that he's running into some roadblocks. The amount of patience he has and attention to detail is just awesome! Chris is working feverishly to complete this nightmare... Thanks again buddy!!! less then 3 weeks now until I pick up the '49 I can't wait to drive this thing.

6. Chris, well done!!

7. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

[​IMG]
    Tail lights are finished...

8. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

[​IMG] New dash gauges in original housing

9. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Been a while since we update the post, new Gas tank is now in hand and custom drive shaft for the Camaro Rear that "bolted right in". Chris will be working his magic and update as he gets close to the end.

10. octobeak

octobeak

man, she was rough! I applaud you for bringing her back to life, wicked chop!

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Finally got most of the snow melted in my yard and got this guy untarped, gotta air up the tires and do the last few odds and ends/glass etc while I finish up EnfieldJoes merc and look with utter disgust across the yard at my own Merc haha. Here is where this project is at the moment for anyone following this humble turds progress! This primer sucks ass, it bled through like nuts and tiger striped. I will be the first to admit I am no artist with a spray gun in my hand, but this stuff was poo.

All in all though, I am still tripped out seeing this thing from what it was, and opening and closing the doors etc, Im very happy in the shift from rothole to car ratio haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. olds vroom

olds vroom

smoooooth nice job!

13. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Looks 100X better keep it up!

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looks pretty damn good to me !!

15. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Geezzzz....Maybe I should have kept it??? NOT!!! Looks great man.

16. fitzee

fitzee

This is very interesting build.Nice work. Love the gauges.

17. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

That's really awesome, great metal work!

18. I Drag

I Drag

There is this weird phenomenon where every project car in the east has an old snow tire on the front. Notice the RF on this Merc. I don't know how this happens, but it's kind of funny. This is not a comment on you or the project.

Excellent work on the Merc!

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

20. fitzee

fitzee

Did you know that snow tires have a higher cold factor and are better accepted on the east coast to use on a project to keep it a roller. notice the driver wheel?? Flat,Not able to withstand the harsh winter weather!!!

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nice work! a Mamoth job!

22. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Looks good, dude! Let's see a side profile...

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's ALWAYS the right front too, never the left! Great build!

Brian

24. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Made my day seeing the updated pics of the '49. I am leaving Japan soon and I can't wait to see this thing start up and roll. Even if its a few feet onto a flatbed. Looking forward to see the dash installed and some bumpers. If anyone has another Hood please let Chris know. The one currently on the car is twisted to the point of no return and is keeping the last of the metal work to be finished.

25. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Cruisin' in the backyard. Edgar is taking her tomorrow morning and bringing her to her loving new home. Its been a strange, long, and bizarre trip but I've enjoyed every minute of it. Or maybe one out of every 60 or so haha.

I must say though, if I may pat myself on the back for one thing I may not have screwed up, the exhaust came out nice! Nice tone to it, although my iphone doesn't really do it justice, it doesnt have the quintessential shitty smallblock Chevy tone. It must be the pipes I had sitting around for my 96 Dodge Ram that I never installed and spliced in this pile instead! My job is done, fare thee well ol Merc!

Sorry for the pottymouthes, we pulled one all nighter and a few close to all nighters this past week getting her ready!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W6KUpu_wqnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/W6KUpu_wqnM

28. NateSedan

NateSedan
    from Oregon

Killer job.
    'nuff said.

29. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Well after about a week of nonstop grinding with Mr. Unionvillehaunt we both made this dream of mine into a reality. Many thanks to him and his lady for putting up with me. I wish I had a time lapse album of the insanity that is this car. Both Chris and I have dubbed it the "Frankenstein Merc" simply because it is a freak of a car. It has parts from so many donors its stupid to see it complete. Some funny moments during this past week was our garage mascot "Lincoln" who continually F*cked his dog bed. Showing us both who was the boss of that bed. Ironically it was the Frankenstein Merc that dominated Chris and I. Every part of this build was a struggle I mean from running a ground wire in the back, to installing the radiator... you name it! Biggest highlight for me was when I went to drain the motor and what came out the oil pan??? H20 5 quarts of it, with a little oil at the end. Chris looks at me and as my face paralized with disbelief asked him.... " oh boy, thats not a good thing huh?" He says, " Nahh I'm sure it will be ok" on with the wrenching and then the worst road block took place. What starter goes on this motor. Well every SBC starter we tried was at least an inch away from the flexplate. So after 5 trips to Autozone and Pepboys. Chris finally picked the winner, MonteCarlo starter. Chris did the honors as my shoulder was on vacation from block sanding and starter R&R fiasco. Starter bolted up, turn of the key and "Its Alive" first time started right up, we were both in SHOCK! I failed at flaring all new brake lines which leaked like an old mans catheter. Thats what I get for China made flaring tool. Moving on...hooking up the stock shifter to the TH350 was another fun project that involved some ignition files and plenty of elbow grease. Chris tackled on all the wiring and gave life to the headlights that look so killer. Rear tails are perfect on this car, Please do let us know what you all think. On with some fun pics

30. Too subscribed. What an awesome thread, and chop, Thanks.