Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airport Runway Drag Racing Comeback???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pro85fiero, Nov 18, 2010.

1. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

I read recently in Hot Rod magazine that Airport Runway Drag Racing was making a comeback. Is this true? Is there or will there be any in the northeast? Are all the attorneys being BOUND and GAGED?:p I hope this is true because it would be great to see "flagman" starts again!
    **Lets see some of your pictures of the "Good Ol' Days"**

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Winterport Dragway in Winterport. Maine uses an old airport runway for !/8 mile racing. They have 2 or 3 flagman start nostagila type events every year. A long ride but a really cool place.

3. storm king

storm king

Yep, and mid- New York staters can even drag race at Kobelt Airport. Locals need to push Stormville airport as well.

4. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Local group in this area, (Picton-Belleville Ontario) ran a flag event at Picton Airport this summer. They were amazed at turnout & response. I am sure that they just negotiated use of facility for 2011, with 4 planned events.
    There is a thread somewhere on the board with video from 2010 event.

5. It's certainly happening here in central California. :D

[​IMG]

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

We tried that here, but it got shut down before it started. Any airport that receives government backing has the FAA shutting that idea down, or that was the excuse given. It would have to be a private air strip with the owner into the idea. Fat Chance, It would be awesome though.

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Wicked is correct but there are owners of private runways that dig cars and we are lucky enough to have found one:D Rocky

8. A little airport up here in the small town of Gladwin, Michigan had a race this summer. I didn't hear about it until afterwards.

Word on the street was is was cool and that they will be doing again next year.

Here's hopin'

9. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Yep, they call them Flashlight drags, in PA they hold them at small county airports a few times a year. I know Zelienople and Waynsburg airports. Check it out here http://www.flashlightdrags.com/whats-flashlight-drags.htm. I just wish they would have had this going on when I was younger. My home town isn't far from Waynesburg and this would have been cool to go to.

10. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I went to three airport races this year. They are a blast. Atwood, Kansas, Norton, Kansas, and Salina Kansas at the KKOA show. They were all in Conjuction with car shows. Seem to be very popular by crowd turnout.

Attached Files:

11. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

I read about California. Is this making a comeback? Are there others?

12. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Around here the TSA would require pat downs and vehicle searches before every run.

14. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Yea and race fuel would be considered a "banned" item!

15. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess low lead 100 would be the flavor of the day then

16. ganga

ganga

17. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Nice ! Yep that is at winterport dragway I posted about previously.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We have 9/11, and the FAA's response, as the biggest obstacles to runway drag racing. Unless it's an FAA condemned runway (like Bremerton Raceway), they don't want to allow it. Some of the smaller airports have managed to get around this, and there are a few still doing it, Forks Airport here in Washington State, as well as another down on the Columbia River around "the Dalles". Nothing is like it used to be. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. sixbangr

sixbangr

We raced each other at Atwood. I had the '87 Grand National.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

Chic Cannon a member of the Hot Rod Safari tour group tried real hard to start a 1/8 mile track in Paso Robles, Ca or Atascadero, Ca. The first try was at the airport in Paso, it was a perfect place for drag racing. Well, all his efforts came to no end. Neighbors of the airport didn't want the added traffic, the noise, undesirable types in the area.
    These were the same type of people that got the West Coast Kustoms show sent on it's way.
    We all thank Chic for trying so hard to bring the fun to our area, shame it didn't workout. Too many yuppies types running things in our area. :mad:

CRUISER :cool:

21. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

And let me guess, they drive Toyota Prius'es and hug the freakin' trees too! :mad:

22. Saw my first organized drag race at Forty-Fort Airport in north eastern PA. Airport still in operation,no drags since early 60's. Video at BeeOnVideo.

23. historynw

historynw

Stormville needs some work its spends most of the time as a flea market,....Greetings from Vails Gate NY.

24. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

I think instead of $15-20.00 a table as a flea market, they'd make more money at $15-20.00 per car and another $5.00 per spectator.

25. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

2nd for winterport maine. I've been going to winterport dragway for Along time now and I love it! lots of fun. they have A web site, winterportdragway.com

26. coupemerc

coupemerc

I'm hearing that the Orange Mass Airport show will have drag racing this year.

27. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I don't think hell froze over yet. but I wish it would:D. John had A great show their this year and it would be awesome if he could get racing back their again.

28. a small single runway in newport, n.h. has a run what ya brung race every sepyember. no et's just your speed at the end. its a pretty fun way to spend the day. they get faa approval to close the airport for one day and that it would be really hard to get approval for more events

29. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Corona Airport here was flooded bad during the last hard rains....talk its going to be closing......

My suggestion for a New Name " West County Dragstrip".

30. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

For one this thread is great, I've been trying to see if there was some way that my club could establish an meet up at Otis Air Force Bases on cape cod once a year for a east coast nostalgia show. The base is curentally disarmed and has a runway with more than enough room to run and would be the perfect venue to have a Massachusetts meet so any of you up here in mass or the north east you can show interest in this type of event please make you self herd.