Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aftermarket intake ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grey46, Nov 25, 2010.

1. grey46

grey46

Im putting together a 1958 283 for my 64 Nova ,currently a 6 banger . Nuthin fancy just a simple rebuild ,trying to get the old school look,found some very nice fined valve covers with offset bolt pattern , Motor has a 2 bbl intake and would like to find a new square bore 4 bbl intake with provision for the oil fill tube to keep the look,or an original and just use a square bore adapter. Any thoughts or ideas ?

2. i'd look for an old Edelbrock C4B intake

3. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Fill the oil through the valve cover. Your best intake investment is the Edelbrock "Victor Jr." (or "Vic Jr. for short), part #2975. Will be the best all-around intake, a Holley 4150 or Edelbrock carb will bolt right up, fits easilly under your hood and is still "old school".
    [​IMG]

4. inlinr6

inlinr6

just find a older offy 'weiand or edelbrock,dual plane should have the breather tube provision.or a competent machine shop can bore the hole for you.check racing junk or e-gay.good luck

5. inlinr6

inlinr6

e-bay has a cb3 with the tube in it at a starting bid of 29.99 item#150525049997.hope this helps.

6. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

The one on my car is OLD! I bought it just the way you see it, in Carlisle, for $125.00 bolt on and ready to go. Any competent engine shop as well as the "Chevrolet Small Block Performance Engine" book will tell you that the "Vic Jr." intake is the smartest all-around choice.

7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Victor Jr on a mild 283 is not the greatest idea. There are probably a lot of people able to prove me wrong, and make it work....but you could do better for a cruiser.

8. F&J

F&J

That Victor is not old enough for a 283 "old school" look.

X2 on looking at an old Weind, they had the pipe, and not seen often on cars today. Very cool IMO. I saw one with a chrome filler and an old Holley for 75 sitting on a shelf at the local junkyard.

9. 58yeoman

58yeoman
    from jersey

Edelbrock makes a new intake with a fill tube, i have one on my 283.

Call speedway or summit

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Look closely at all flea market finds. When the change came many intakes still had the boss for the fill tube but it was no longer drilled. If the boss is there it's a pretty easy machine shop job to drill it to accept the fill tube.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Victor Jr is gonna be totally useless on a mild 283, and they started making them in the late seventies. I guess if you are 15-20 yrs old, thats "old school" but it sure as hell isnt in my books. The C3B has been mentioned several times, is late sixties period correct, and will also work quite well on a mild 283. I made a filler tube boss on the single plane thats going on the 327 for my wagon with two part epoxy and bead blasted it, once its painted it looks pretty good. But I am running a lot more head, cam and compression than what it sounds like you are talking about.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A "Say WHY-AND" dual plane would also be an excellent choice.

13. chevyshack

chevyshack

To bad you where'nt closer. I got one id sell you for $60. Thats what i paid for it at the swap meet last year. It looks brand new. Thats where you should check is swap meets. Theres hundreds of them at every swap meet ive been to. Summit Racing sells them also if you want a new one.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The intake ports on a 283 are pretty small. Any "newer" manifold will require port matching the heads to the intake, in order to be optimally effective. I say swap meets, Craigs List, E-Bay (yeah I know, bad word), or the classifieds here. The old single plane Edelbrock Torqure's are pretty cheap. You may even want a multi-flanged carb mount, so you could run an old Rochester 4-Jet or WCFB Carter. I have one on my DD truck, with an Edelbrock carb, stroker 305 (334 CID) with 601 heads (small intake ports), and it works fine; not the low end dog most think it would be. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

I may be wrong but I believe the "Vic Jr." came out no later than '71.
    Question: Am I missing something here or do people always put there engines together with "GLUE"? :eek: If that's the case I'd prefer JB Weld! :D

16. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

we are trying to stay pre 64 not 74

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You want an Edelbrock C4B. Perfect for a 283. Use a Rochester 4 Jet carb (as used on late fifties and early sixties GM V8s). Same size primaries and secondaries.

18. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

First "gray46" about staying in '64, he's saying "old school look".
    Secondly, my post didn't say '74! My post said that I believe the "Vic Jr." came out in '71 which is 39 years ago. In my books that's OLD or "OLD SCHOOL". Many first gen. Novas had gone to the "Vic Jr." when they realized that it was a much better intake then what's available, and that still holds true to today PERIOD!

Read, understand and have an open mind to what the people are asking.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

would this work?off of 327 and I agree the victor jr. is not what you want to run .:cool:

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      383.6 KB
      Views:
  20. I pulled this running 283 out of my 66 Chevy C10 to put in my 32 Ford sedan. Since it was already a runner I bought an HEI and this old Weiand intake for 50 bucks a piece. I may change the valve covers and put the old vent tube in later. But, then again... maybe not. ;) I love the look of this old intake.

Whatever you do buy a dual plane and NOT a single plane intake. Single plane's don't work well on mild motors.

Attached Files:

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, you are in fact wrong. And yes, you are missing something. Go talk to the guy at Oddys that built your engine. Ask him about running a Victor Jr on a stock 283, and ask him about Splash Zone A788, Devcon, Manley Miracle Seal and other two-part epoxys. :rolleyes:

Oh yea, and JB Weld IS a two-part epoxy. Its sort of like the "Wal-Mart" version of the ones I have mentioned above.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Tarantula came out around 1970, the Scorpion followed that in around '74, I will do a little digging when I have time on the weekend, and post documentation. Think the Victor Jr. came on the scene around '78-'79.

23. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Look for a Weiand WCVSQ
    The Edelbrock C3B & C4B will also work & give you the vintage look you are after

Here's a photo of the one I just sold

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  24. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

that's what i was thinking that would be good on a 355 ci and up not a stock 283 ..beside's they never made a old vic jr it came out in the 90's