Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds 455 or chevy 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lurch423, Nov 25, 2010.

1. lurch423

lurch423

im trying to decide on what motor to build . first i have a 58 anglia its been a old drag car and was powerd by olds 455 when i got it it needs a rebuild its mostly a stock motor and has j heads i would like to keep the olds but stuff for it is exspinsive not to mention the j heads are supposly junk i need to spend as least money as i can i fugured around 1500 i wont a little more then a stock motor they way i got it figured i can do a stock rebuild on the olds bottom end fix the heads for adjustable valve train install stainless valves and roller rockers and a lumpy hyd cam for around my price range or hers my second idea i can build a 500 horse alum headed small block 350 i have some pretty good small block stuff i have a good short block ( needs rubuilt ) i have a single tunnel ram intake for a 350 all i rerally need is the heads and the stuff to rebuild the 350 . i think the olds would be cooler then a 350 and id hafta get a trasmission for the small block . so i figured i get some pros and cons from some other great minds what do you all think :D

2. pitman

pitman

If it was something to become a daily driver, I'd probably go the SBC. If on the other hand...it was a weekend warrior...

3. slammed

slammed

Keep an eye out for Olds that are for sale (gas hog, rusted, ect) should find a suitable running 455 for around $500.00 Way cooler that the t're fi'dy.

4. chevyshack

chevyshack

You"ll have more torque with the 455 but the 350 would get you more bang for the buck. You"d probally build two 350's for the price of one 455. One other thing to consider id power to weight ratio. The 350 is lighter especially with aluminum heads.

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Could you explain why?

6. Cruiser

Cruiser

$$$$ - Money talks so go with the SBC 350 lots of power, reliability and bountiful supply of parts at good prices. Build the 455 on the side for another project.:D

CRUISER

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

by all means install the s.b.c.
    then give me the 455.

8. George

George

He's probably saying...if you're not concerned about the fuel bill go with the 455. I had 1 in my 48 Plym for 8 years, moved right along @ about 10 MPG.

9. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

Been kooking for this kind of deal for about a year now.

10. 42 chevy

42 chevy

It took me about a year to find an Olds 455 in running condition that they did not want an arm and a leg for. I understand the SBC is cheaper to build , but why not sell some of your SBC parts to finance the 455. I king of like the different engines. I am with Lux Blue use the SBC and send me the 455.

11. I'd go with the 455 any day!
    Got a 425 in my truck, but a 455 would have been nice...

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Go with the 455 ! That is a great choice ! They are strong powerful engines and can be built to make some major power ! The 455 is on a very strong comeback and are getting harder to find .
    What is your planes with the 455 ?

I hate seeing people just buying the cheapest crate engine out there ! They are slapped together on an assembly line and shoved out the door . The reason there is so many of those "Seasoned" blocks out there is because the salvage yards are so full of those orange 350 engines !

Retro Jim

13. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I went 10.90's in a '67 Cutlass with a 4-speed & I would be willing to bet I can build another cheaply... it's in the heads. There's no replacement for displacement

14. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

those J heads are not that bad If you can do a little porting on them
    mostly that big lip under the intake valve head.
    a mild cam, adjustable rocker system like the one comp cams sells
    bet it would make ya happy...
    Go Olds

15. Hahaha... Seriously you need to give me that boat anchor 455 so I can dispose of it properly...:rolleyes:

16. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

Id bet you that a similar 455 to that 425 you couldn't tell the difference
    other than you could get more RPM out the 425 plus you have a
    forged steel crank in the 425.
    I would take the 425 any day

17. lurch423

lurch423

its not gonna be a daily driver. it will see the strip some and some local cruise ins its a pretty cool ol car . im still in the undecided part i want to start soon tho plan on building it when i get my income tax back id like to have the mashine work done by then so all i hafta do it slap it together . im not gonna buy a crate motor i worked in the speed shop bussiness for quite a while the last one had a mashine shop so i know what went into them create engines. i like the olds motor because its differnt i just dont know if i can get more bang for the buck with the small block uggh decisions decisions . what ever it will have its gonna be a scary ride motor is moved back and it dont weigh much . ill proubly use the olds unless i find some missing pices for the small block cheap i like differnt ive see some of the cars around here but never one with a olds and it moved back like this one for anyone who hasnt seen the car heres a pic

Attached Files:

18. repoguy

repoguy

wow....that thing is insane.

very cool.

19. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

With that much engine setback, you must be driving from the back seat. The Olds might give a you a wheelstander, if you can get it to hook.

20. Future Stock

Future Stock

Keep in mind that the 455 with a mild cam, dual plane intake, headers and a 750 will easily top 500 ft.lbs. of torque. It would really be a handful at the track.

21. pitman

pitman

My thoughts were that it would be like driving an "Altered" on the street. If you punch it, it might decide to change directions on you.(180's are good in figure skating) The mouse would be on better behavior when built as a street motor.

22. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

LOL! that thing would be WILD! .....does it run as is? give it a shot with big olds...you will never get the grin off youre face.

run the J heads...with a liitle work they can be as good as any other olds heads...

hows the chassis set up on it?

23. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

Stay with the olds.... Keep the carb small (500 - 650CFM range) open plemun intake, long duration cam..

Oh ya it'll talk to you.. and with the smaller carb it'll snap your neck on the street.
    been buildin olds since I was sixteen, whoop a SBC anyday.

If you need some "C" heads, I have a few

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

Use the Olds .A SBC has its place ,but that car aint it .Like was said before run a smaller carb on it like a 750 .I have seen lots of bigger motors that where terds because they were way over carbed as well as small motors.Build it for around 2500-5500 rpm with the gears ,cam ,intake ,and carb to complement that and watch that thing kick ass and live forever :)...

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Olds. I recently picked up a 66 425,rebuilt and ready to go for under a $1000.00 for my 49 Olds 88 Coupe. Look around. They are out there and you can probably buy a complete car for under a grand. Good luck.

26. I'm a chevy guy but have owned a W-30 too, cost on parts would lean towards the chevy but the car is setup for the Olds. I'd run the Olds just keep the rpm's withen reason, it sounds like that's what you want to run anyhow.

27. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

There's deals all over. I've been trying to sell a 71 Pontiac 400 with a 400 trans still attached localy for more than a year now for that price. Pulled from a driving station wagon.

28. team23

team23

There is not much weight difference between the two, the Chevy 350 with iron heads and intake weighs 575lbs, the Olds engine weighs 605lbs, thats not bad considering the torque you will get from the olds.

29. mj40's

mj40's

I'm going through the same dilemma. 401 Buick Nailhead or a *C&%h$$ evy. It's going to run me just over 3k to build a stock nailhead plus any bling I just have to have. I know for that I could buy the oh so popular SBC crate. Na, it’s just money and no where near the cool factor of the nailhead and not to mention TORQUE.

30. MotionNova

MotionNova
    from Ohio

That car is a different cool! It needs a different motor! Use the 455 !!
    I'd do a Eldelbrock performer RPM package, heads, cam, intake. That
    will make great power. You could drive to the track run 10s then drive
    it back home! how cool is that!
    Sure you can make great power cheap with the chevy but everyone does that.
    And just try to drive a 500HP sbc 350 on a 100 mile trip.

My 43,00 mile 79 Trans Am is all original with the 403 Olds. It's only change is headers.
    The car Has run a best E.T. of 14.56@92MPH ! It wieghs 4000lbs and has 2.73 gears.
    This motor was only rated at 185hp! Yea right! So just think how easy it will be to make that 455 run real quick in your little 2200lb car.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010