Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me look at a Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Westerman, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Hey guys, I need some help. I have always been a pre 50's Chevy owner, But a friend of mine (that could care less about cars) was hired to clean out a house of a older lady that had passed away. Inside the garage is a 1963 Ford Fairlane. As far as he knows it is a unmolested car. This is where you can help. I do not know much about Fairlanes. What should I look for? I know its got a slant six, thats about it. Any help would be great.... I might become a Ford guy:)

2. Unmolested means a inline six,probably 3 on the tree or a FMX transmission,,
    HRP

3. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

I would be over looking at it first then post the questions. They are pretty cool cars. To bad its not a big block car.

4. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

What do you want to know about a 1963 fairlane? Is it a2dr hard top or a post car? The 1963 fairlane didnt come factory with a big block. Came with 6 cylinder or a small block. Some even came with the 289 hi-po. You should check out Crites restoration. They make lots of t-bolt parts for the early fairlanes. I have a 1964 2dr hard top.

5. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

It is a slant 6.. I agree with you Buck Sharp, It would be nice to look and then ask. However, I need to act fast. When I go to look at the car I will have cash and a trailer. They need the house cleared out fast so I do not have time to go back and forth. It's a one shot deal. That's why I am trying to find out about Fairlanes before I go. Like what to look for while looking at a Fairlane...

6. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Sorry, I do know that it is a two door....

7. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

Slant six as far as I know only came in the Mopar family ,,,, unless it's missing a motor mount and leaning over.

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Ford didn"t make a slant 6,if its got a slant 6 in it its has been molested.

9. Abomb

Abomb

A slant 6 is a MOPAR engine.....if it indeed has one, the car has been very molested.

10. Abomb

Abomb

So, now that we've got that out of the way.....:D

11. Kinky6

Kinky6

Sounds like a nice find, maybe, but that Ford six don't slant; it stands up inline! The slant six was a Mopar engine. That Fairlane is most likely a 170".

Edit: Looks like overkill on the slant thing - guess he'll never make that mistake again!

Good luck with it, Kinky6 :cool:

12. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Im all giddy feeling waiting for the pictures of a beautiful car you will be buying if the price is right. and i did not know what motors come in them. Hope it has been stored well and is really nice.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I think they're unibodies, like a Mustang or Falcon, so check out the front and rear frame legs real closely for rust.

14. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I built one in the late 60's with a Hi Pro 289 /4 speed and 4.11 9" rear. Ran like hell and I drove it every day. Once towed a 40 Ford from NJ to Fla. in August with no air quite a trip. Wish I still had it. Look for rust in all the usual places.
    Get it, fix it, enjoy it.

15. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

These cars are great. swaps to small blocks are easy . as are disc brake upgrades. If its a straight drive a t-5 tranny is a great choice. watch for rust in the trunk areas, lower quarters and the groove the trunk rubber goes in. also make sure the front strut bar mounts are good. If the body is good the drive train is easy.
    Floor pans are available from autokrafters.com as well as rubber parts and such. not a lot of patch panels made for the 63 fairlane.

16. check for rust on the front frame rails, follow them back to the torque boxes, and under the floor. give the strut arms a push and a pull, check the drip rail edge, in the fairlane club there is guy trying to restore one with a totally gone drip rail, and it just not worth it. clean 4dr fairlanes can be found cheap in running condtion.

17. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

When you open the hood do you see the first or second picture?

First being a Ford Inline Six, second being a Dodge Slant Six.

I like my 62 Fairlane.

http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/ Check these guys out.

Attached Files:

18. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

It could be a slant 6 if the car is parked on a hill!!!!!!! :eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

19. One word... Rust

Pour water in the cowl... if it pours on the floor inside, walk away unless you like drilling spot welds and welding.

20. if its a life long cincinnati area car and was driven at all in the winter months its rusted probably from the mid body line down but since the O/P is from this area im sure they know this

21. vintage tin

vintage tin

I don't think a 6 cylinder 1963 Fairlane is worth getting too excited about.
    I bought a fairly clean and solid - 6 cylinder 63 2-door Fairlane at an auction for next to nothing (because nobody would bid on it) Sold it, and came out a few bucks ahead. But there wasn't much interest in it.