Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buried treasure in Hollywood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Rem

Rem

Na, you can buy a new one from Bob Drake! :D

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

ha ha ...good one!!

Funny thing is though,a lot of those safes are crap and the bottoms could be bashed open with a hammer easier than trying to make a hole in the side.
    But why drag a safe all the way up there to dump it in the canyon? weird alright!

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

If that stuff was here on the east Coast the safe would be the thing I'd drag up first or is scrap metal bringing a lot less closer to China? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Don't cut it up, get the whole car out if you can.
    If the El Portal 35/6 Coupe will save, this 40 might too!

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256731

Get a HAMB treasure dig gathering going. A dozen guys with shovels would have that unearthed in no time.

The drivers quarter, cowl and floors look good. If the passenger quarter is saveable, you might be able to find a front roof portion donor to put this thing back together. For Socal, the rot below the dirt line might not be bad, Also figure the frame might be useable. It is a 40 Coupe after all!

I'm amazed that something like this was found in suburban Socal.

5. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I would say that regardless of wheather it was there from a bank heist from years past or a movie car of some sort just laid to rest it would be intresting to hear the story because of the safe being with it...

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Get it out, restore/rod it, register it then have CHP confiscate it because the vin# shows it was a stolen in 1941. Now it will be returned to the owner in fine shape and you are out big $.. Could happen.

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

gotta get a hippo involved in the grab somehow!:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. abone1930

abone1930

Hippo :p That was a wild save

Somebody needs to save the 40:D

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I would drag home whatever i could. I found an old cash register in a wash while driveing my model a, it was busted open. I came back with a hand truck and draged it a couple hundred yards to my RPU and took it home and put it in the garden.

10. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

probably has a damn old columbia under it too, that'll get er dug up!

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. jokerjason

jokerjason

I will try and head out there this weekend!! evil shinanigans!!!! JOKER JASON.

12. Wheres Geraldo when you need him to open a safe. just cut off these exposed hinges and find out

13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

It's not the Driving Off The Cliff that kills you, it's the SUDDEN STOP that gets you.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

When I lived in California, it amazed me the stuff at the bottoms of ravines. There is a trail that goes to Refugio Canyon from Santa Ynez valley. Not really driveable but we did it in a beater 74 AMC Matador ex Santa Barbara detective's sedan. Saw a 58 Rambler all shot up and a few other neat old cars plus a Ford Falcon being driven by a hippie chick over huge boulders coming the other way...the same boulders that punched out a hole in my gas tank. Interesting run when we finally got to a smoother part of the trail to see if I could get to the highway before the gas all ran out. Ah the innocence of youth.

15. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

Doesn't seem like It would take to much work if 12 people dig out...i might go up there over the weekend see I could salvage something..

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, that would be a good day to rob a few parts...and probably a HAMB meet and greet. lol

17. If all you guys show up you are gonna attract the LAPD for sure!
    That's going to blow it for everyone. Just because it's on public land doesn't mean you can take it.
    Not my fault!

18. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Anybody been back over there to check it out???

19. Well with the safe and all ..... looks like some handywork of the man who used to RUN L.os Angeles. back in those days. .... Mr. Bugsey Segal . He was very involved in whatever was happening in L.A. especially Hollywood during that time.

20. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Same here, a lot of Hazara refugees have cornered the market in scrap metal and will pay 20c/kg for steel scrap which means a safe is probably worth $50-$100 depending on how heavy it is. A 4wd with a small warn winch,a trailer and a few free days could be quite profitable . drag all the steel and other metals up the canyon and do the right thing for the environment :rolleyes: and fund some car parts. :cool:

21. ryno

ryno

i don't believe its on public land,i recently read that Hugh Hefner bought, along with others, the land in order to save the Hollywood sign from developers.

22. Old safes are lined with concrete. Metal's relatively thin, so not really worth the trouble to extract it for scrap ;) I think the 'cut the side off the body and hang on the wall' idea's the best :)

23. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

2 handyman jacks and you can get it up high enough to look it over.

24. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

jason if its the same place i know of i have a whole photo gallery full

25. big creep

big creep

hey we could just call it a keeping our city clean group!!! the city would probably help!!! and yes its on private land, what are they going to do throw you in jail for cleaning up someone else junk?

26. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well, we're waiting .....:rolleyes::D

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

So how come none of the HAMB artists have done a cartoon of the the '40 being winched out with a cable attached to the HOLLYWOOD sign?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. So far as I know it's true... I met a contractor in the 70's that purchased the building and it's contents for the land value and he had a crew clean out the contents before demolition and there were a couple of cars on different levels of the building that were in various levels of dis-assembly so they weren't considered valuable until the 1940's Cadillac was unburied from a pile of rubble.

This is where the story gets fuzzy... apparently the low mileage Caddy had empty money bags inside and was hidden inside the building on the 12th floor and buried under a pile of junk.

It was assumed that the car was stolen and used for a bank heist and then ditched in the building by driving it unto the freight elevator up to it's final resting place...!

Whether it was true or folklore... It's still a good story!:cool:

kiwijeff and falcongeorge like this.