Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is the hamb responsible for $500 heavy axles?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.SCOTT, Nov 19, 2010.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've got one of these axles. Its NOS. I drilled it and started to fill it, then got bored. I'de sell it for $100 as is, or finish filling it for an extra $50.

I got no use for it, i was actually going to hang it on the wall or make a light out of it.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496457

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i`ll take it.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is what the Hamb is responsible for: CLICK HERE

4. No ebay and bidding frenzies are in a big part for the higher prices that we see today. Well that and people with too many dollars and not enough sense thinking that throwing enough cash at it will make it trad.

That said if I ever lay my hands on a 32 heavy axle I can finance my next overhaul. :D

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

....x2

6. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Lengthy off topic PM reply sent :D

7. OK, but that's a truck axle and it doesn't fit passenger car bones, nor is it like a 32 heavy.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remember, kids...'32 Ford parts will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through time of no '32 parts...
    Better hope your wife agrees, though.
    Seriously, '32 Ford stuff has been going UP, sometimes in radical jumps, all of my life. Practically everything is available in some sort of repro, yet almost no real '32 parts have slowed down in price growth because of passable or even excellent repros.
    It has all been driven by rodders, with minor help from restorers. There must be at least a hundred times as many rodders of various ilks as there were in the '40's or '50's, and all along most of the rodders have looked at the '32 Ford as the top of the heap...prices are not going to go anywhere but up, with only minor slowdowns from times of recession and unemployment.
    Look at Brookville bodies as a lesson...they are really damn good, everyone likes them, and they are selling like hotcakes...yet '32 roadster and coupe original bodies continue to go UP.
    There ain't no hope...if you like real Henry '32 stuff, you are going to bleed money forever.
    I've had a lot of dumb luck and help, or I wouldn't have anything; I couldn't afford anything '32 at market prices when I got hooked about 1960...$2,000 would buy a REALLYDAMNFINE roadster, and major parts might have averaged around $15.
    That has continued to be true all my life...'32 stuff has always run ahead of my income growth, and note that the $$$ that would have bought you a show-stopping roadster in 1960 would not buy a good fender now...
    Dumb luck, obsessive scrounging and hunting, good friends, and good women have gotten me a pile of '32 stuff even though I could rarely walk through Hershey and buy goodies at market.
    If I had to start over...well, now, most of the parts have been assembled into cars, and there are those 100 times as many people scrounging for the remnants. I'd have to hotrod a civic...

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I think there kind of a bargain
    Price a real deuce grill and shell
    The axle is nearly as prominent on the front of the car ….. Deuce axles have always been the top choice and always will.
    Some of you may call bullshit and or pimp your fake axles…..whatever….you know the truth.

10. Wish they made more 32's back in 32.....so there would be more supply.....

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmmm...how many things do you buy that will appreciate, whether you use them, stack them in a basement, or whatever??
    Nothing is certain, but there is a definite trend if you graph deuce prices since 1932...

12. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Well said Greg

13. Is the Hamb responsible for $500 Heavy Axles?! - Nope, those of us who want one are.

Supply / Demand

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I blame WW2 scrap drives

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

screw the heavy axle..adds to unspung weight..so whats the point?

yeah yeah, thats my way of making myself feel good about not having one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a buddy of mine got one for free from some idiot who had no idea what it was even though he has a shop and works on old cars.

17. SlamIam

SlamIam

Where can you get a decent 32 truck grille for $700? How much would it take to buy a perfect one? How many are left? They've been sitting right out front on those trucks for 78 years now, proudly leading the way down the road, naked and vulnerable to any rock thrown their way...

The entire thing is made out of one piece of sheet metal. Every time I look at one I marvel at the delicacy of those folded grille bars. I can't imagine the 2010 cost of making the multiple hit dies it would take to make that thing today. It's a work of industrial art.

Those forged axles are pretty too, and the metallurgy that produced them was rocket science in 1932. Sure seem to be a lot of them still running down the road.

Just think, one man once owned all of the 32 Fords and 32 parts in the world. It was sure nice of Henry Ford to sell us all of his.

18. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

Jeez! guess i opened up a stinky can o worms! i honestly wasnt talkin shit about the hamb in any way. maybe i should have said internet instead! sometimes i am just blown away by what people will pay for stuff, stuff i myself have paid $10 for!

19. Racrdad

Racrdad

I dont know about the heavy axles but I do know one thing for sure, since I joined the HAMB it has cost me way more than $500!!! Of course I have had a blast buying parts and building that thing I am working on :D

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The axle in your link is not a Deuce heavy axle that they are talking about.

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think it is 32 Ford shit period BIG $$$$$$. How about a used 32 ford closed car door lock cylinder without a key selling on e-bay for $198.00. I almost threw mine out when I couldnt get a key made and bought a repop. with key for $25.:):)

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

That is why I like Ts, stuff is cheap and plentifull

23. they are the coolest axles and everybody should have one, by the way I have one for sale

24. TraderJack

TraderJack

Two things caused the change of price, In 1940 there were about 135million people in the usa, I think, and the wage of a day labor was about 25cents per hour! 35cents if you worked in defense industry.
    An axle cost $3-5 for the axle. That was about 2 days salary!

Now $500 dollars is about 2 days salary for defense industry, but there are 3 times as many people that can buy anything that cost that much. so the price goes up.

I sold my flat head motor in 1947 for $250, exchage for a stock one. when the going wage was about 75cents an hour. or about $6 an hour, Some paid a week wages for my flathead! and that was in 1947, figure out what it would have cost in today's economy.

Inflation, demand, and lack of supply cause the problem. You are lucky that the demand for those cars and parts mean that so many were saved.

25. TraderJack

TraderJack

$6 a day, not an hour. 88 years old, and fingers don't fly!

26. wow , you must be the oldest hamber! reading your profile i see you have had some interesting cars and experiences. do you have any pictures you can post?

27. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

no, its the AA axle.

28. Not for long.

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Is this thread responsible for them being one thousand dollars from here on out ??? ;)

30. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

people paying $500 for a heavy axle are responsible for heavy axles being priced at $500.