Register now to get rid of these ads!

FAKE PAtina......... your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4HawkRod, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

Last month I attended a large car show Pumpkin Fest in Waterford Ontario..

I usually am not a Car show guy but I noticed so many vehicles with Fake patina.

It just looks Wrong.........

Your thoughts????

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

There's nothing left to say!

3. It's gay. Patina is earned, not painted on, distressed or created overnight just to be cool.

draggin49 likes this.

4. Toner283

Toner283

Patina is earned, not created.

5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

What kills it for me is when they spend twice as much to make it look like a "survivor". If you have the money do it right and shiney. My car looks unfinished because I am poor. Lord willing, someday I will finish it. Fake patina is gay, I especially hated the fiberglass one with drilled rust holes.

6. uc4me

uc4me

what he said

7. Bodger45

Bodger45

Don't like it.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Like many things that are admired and valued, desirable vehicles with an appealing genuine patina are not available just for the taking. Kind of akin to desirable hot rod bodies, i.e. '32 Ford Roadsters and Coupes. So, where demand exceeds supply, someone comes along and fills the need.

Actually, there is little difference, if any, between creating a "patina" look paint job and any other paint choice one might apply. After all, the vehicles in question don't come naturally in Hot Rod Flat Black, metalflake, or high gloss paint of any kind. The desired finished is applied.......so what's the difference......it still takes creativity and skill to pull it off well.

Like real steel '32 Roadsters, it is great to have the "real thing", but you can hardly get your nose out of joint if somebody chooses a repro metal or glass body rather than do without. And in that regard, it is mostly the appearance one is after, the 'real deal' is just a bonus improving the pride of ownership factor.

All of this is just my opinion of course, but that's what you asked for.

Ray

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

And hot rod red and flat black aren't ??????:rolleyes:

Ray

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

just paint the damn thing ,100 percent easier and correct ,Would you put ballpeen hammer marks in your car ,Then why the fake rusty paint ............

12. Fake

This word says it all. I have seen the following FAKE items:

Injection
    Magnetos
    Blowers
    SBC with Rocket Valve Covers
    SBC with Hemi Valve Covers
    Quickchange
    Tunnel Rams
    Ford Taurus as a Shoebox

13. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

If you drive the car enough it'll get patina on it's own and you won't have to fake anything.

14. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

A person with fake patina on his/her car will eat soy burgers or those made with tofu!

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This comes up on here quite a lot, and I have to say- just don't "get it". But then again, I have a long history of not getting "it" until after "it" has gone out of fashion and is seen as passé, which I'm sure is destined to happen to this particular "it".
    Paul

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think that is a T-Bird/shoebox, not a Taurus. In any case, most of what you cite is FUNCTIONALLY fake, whereas the paint job is an appearance fake. By the way, any of you guys ever buy your wife or girlfriend costume jewelry or is it all pure gold/silver and real gemstones, i.e. diamonds, pearls (not 'cultured') etc, etc.

And, the ultimate question is...what's it to you anyway? Oh, one more thing.....no I don't have any fake patina vehicles.....this is just an intellectual exercise, not a defensive one.

Ray

17. lame

Shiney=good

18. sinks88

sinks88

Lame

Shiney=rich

Real Patina=Awesome

19. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

So 4yrs ago.......like totally dude!!

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

my old el camino has patina,LOTS of patina,even mold on one side of it. but all i hear is" it will be nice when you paint it", or" when are you going to fix it up" shit i have a lot,repeat LOTS of fun as it is. to each his own,as long as they are driving them and have fun..................:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.