Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your best trade?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMan4GZUZ, Nov 22, 2010.

1. shoveled71

shoveled71

I traded 90.00 and part of a bottle of Jack Daniels for a 64 Ford convertable with a 390 four speed, this was back in the late 70s, chick thought the clutch was going bad but just needed adjusting.

2. this is great. any more?

3. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

So I had a 1952 Chevy Deluxe. 4 door, 235. It was a good car, ran well. Didn't have any history on it, didn't know the real milage.. etc.

Owned it for 2 1/2 years, bought it for $4,200 and put about 3k into it..

So then this 1950 Buick came along on craigslist. I contacted the guy to see if he was interested in a trade and he said "well what do you got!?" I told him and we set up a time to check out eachothers cars the next day. This was Nov 2009. So he ended up really liking my Chevy and of course I fell in love with his Buick! We traded, swapped titles and I drove the Buick home!!

Here's the real story now. Turned out that my Buick is very rare, completely original with only 28k miles (back in nov 2009) now its got 31k
    It was purchased by the tillamook country sheriff in Portland in 1950. He owned the car until 1995 when his wife passed away and he sold it at an estate sale. Then the 2nd owner owned it since 1995 up until 2009 when he sold it to the guy I got it from. (who is basically an amateur vintage car dealer)

Long story short, I got an all original 1950 Buick Super, with 28k miles, original paint, interior, seat covers, 263 straight 8, dynaflow.. everything is there un-touched!

Check out the pics!

Attached Files:

4. George T G

George T G

Maybe about 30 + years ago I had a 2 wd I-H Travelall V-8 4 spd. A guy from about 20 miles away asked if I would swap it for his Convertable Pon.
    Well he shows up with a 70 or so ( I forget the exact year) GTO Ram air conv with 4 spd. His brother cam along to bitch about the tires and wheels which were his. I think I had to give him $100 and the rest was an even swap. Traded that off for a pr of 69 Firebirds one was a Formula 400 4 spd.
    Sure wish I had the I-H back.:eek:

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Traded the truck for the 51.

I miss the truck big time, but am happy to be into a shoebox.

Attached Files:

6. Same buddy from before swapped a semi-running '32 Chevy 4-door with a '35 motor and some weak wood, for a '64 Nova with a built 350, buckets, fuel cell in the trunk set up to race, worth about twice what the '32 was.

Traded a '57 Buick Special 4dr, complete except a front seat but nothing special otherwise, kind of ragged and with no floors in front, for a '38 Olds tudor sedan with no motor/trans that I haven't seen yet but in photos and it looks pretty decent.

He's pulled off so many deals I can't remember them all, actually. The '32 was another swap deal and I don't remember what he traded to get it in the first place.

He traded a '29 Dodge coupe that had sat in various barns since the 1950s for a southern (NC) '35 Ford coupe that was a roller, but very solid, needs one floor patch and one fender is banged up but it would build very easy.

Traded a '78 Chevy crewcab dually that had been sitting around 4-5 years and had a fair amount of rot in the lower body, for a '64 Chevy 1-ton six pickup that while banged up, is more solid, and will run (a six in it) - AND a '57 Chevy 210 tudor that while all apart and showing some patchwork in the rockers, is pretty well complete.

But like I said I have terrible luck with swaps - I forget what he swapped to get the '56 Olds 4dr hardtop, but I wanted it, he had a deal to store some cars in a place in exchange for plowing it, so I bought a running Willys plow truck I scored fairly cheap to swap for it - and the place sold, he lost the storage and didnt need the plow anymore. I guess there are worse things to get stuck with, I did always kind of like those Willys. Or, I could trade that for the antique shotgun....

7. Nik

Nik

Had a beat to crap, rusty old '78 Blazer, and when I say rust, this was ILLINOIS rust. This was probably 89 or so. I put it out with a for sale sign and a guy calls and wants to know if I'll swap for his Sportster. I figured it had to be a basket case as I would have let the Blazer go for a few hundred, but I go ahead and drive out and look. Turned out it was an '84 with 7k on it and ran like a top. He just really wanted a four wheel drive. We swapped titles and I rode off before whatever drugs he was on wore off. :)