Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy II Front Sump Oil Pan on a One-Piece Rear Main Seal Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Can it be done? Has it been done? Fuck you to you assholes that scoff at the question. I'm being serious here. I've got a great 62-67 Chevy II front sump oil pan and a TBI block with a complete bottom end that is in perfect condition. I want to know if anyone has put that front sump pan on a one-piece rear main seal block. What are the difficulties? Should I just find another engine? Tell me.

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

You can actually buy a Chevy II style pan for the engine you have...or you could use the original late pan, and a Chevy II style pan, and cut and weld to make one. Check with Chevy II Only or J&W Nova, I saw that one or the other was selling the pans a few years ago.

3. HotRod31

HotRod31

I think they make a gasket to put the early pans on the late model 1 piece blocks.

Later,Mark

4. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

I use a rear sump pan on my 66. I just notched it at the front. works great and was easy to do. Its about 4"" back and about 2" up into the pan. I couldnt find the pan and pickup when I needed it and didnt want the chance of losing oil press on a hard launch. The whole front sump thing seems hokey to me.

5. lucky13

lucky13

what side is the dipstick on for the 1 piece block? If i remember the older one should be drivers side dipstick and the 1 piece blocks are passenger side. I could be wrong but just a thought

6. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. kwhizz

kwhizz

I needed the exact thing that you are asking about about 20 years ago when the new style rear seals came out.......I cut out a section of the stock 1 pc seal pan and cut out a like section of a stock Nova front sump pan......welded the 1 pc section into the Nova pan.......Bingo......Finished and never leaked a drop of oil......So........It can be done, and it's not difficult...

Ken

8. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

im with kwhizz, take 2 and make one, makes for a helluva story.

9. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

10. Not to sound gay, but I love you guys. :D I see that a few of you welded two pans together. What kind of welder did you boys use? Was it gas or flux? What were your temperature settings? I like the idea of welding the two together because I already have the front sump pan, and I paid more than enough for it not to use it. The sheet metal on it is thick too, so I shouldn't have a problem making the two one.

11. knotheads

knotheads

if you plan on flogging that nova ,i suggest you look into the rear sump pans made for a nova. hard acceleration causes the oil to flow away from the oil pick up on stock front sump pans.

12. Its actually for my 50 Ford. If I ever want to do any hard launches, I'm just going to put a Ford in it! LMAO!

13. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Didn't the oil pan from a V8 Monza take care of that problem back in the day?

14. kwhizz

kwhizz

Heli-arc is the best...............

Ken