Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK school me on a 327 sbc cam selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe Crazy, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Im running a summit bracket cam in my nash. 114 lobe seperation, .510 exhaust, .533 intake, advertised duration 302 int./312 exh.

Sounds nasty and should pull like a mofo. Its topped by roller rockers and the heads are built to the cam. Topped by a tunnel ram and 2 - 650 edelbrocks.

2. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

They all look like decent choices for a street cam. The one thing I notice about the Comp cam specs vs the Lunatis is the LSA of 110 degrees for the Comp vs 112 for the Lunati. The tighter LSA might add a little more choppiness to the idle.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bottom line. As helpful as everyone is trying to be all of the suggestions are so much cannon fodder until you talk to the manufacturer you'll be buying the cam from. Call them.......tell them what your trying to do.........BE HONEST (your not going up against Garlits for top eliminator)........they will usually give you a couple of choices (one on the milder side,one a little more radical.............choose the milder of the two (trust me on this one). These people want you to be happy with your choice, there is nothing that looses sales more than an inappropiate cam choice and you telling all of your buddies "I wouldn't buy another cam from XXXX, they fucked me on an recommendation." Last, be ready to be disapointed with the idle of the recommended cam..........a rough idle is evidence your using a lot of gas unnecessarily and your loosing low end torque..........both of which will make you unhappy in the final analysis in a street driven application. It's only fun for the first couple thousand miles at best...........after that your living with the reality you fucked yourself by getting what you wished for.:(

Frank

4. Have you considered 10.5 or 11:1 compression? With those aluminum heads you'll be fine and it'll make it "sound good" like you are talking about because it will be good. I have a 11:1 383 with a hydraulic flat tappet 268 XE cam and it has a ton of idle sound but it also runs very well on super.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you more concerned about how it sounds at idle or how hard it pushes you back into the seat? Like they said above, this is a street engine that you side you wanted low end torque. Many a over cammed, over carbed street engine has been blown away at a stop light by a better thought out package.

6. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

I know the cam decision is the hardest decision to make when building a motor. I upped the anty a little with my cam just because I am more performance drivin. I agree with others on comp. I am not very pleased with them here lately myself. Lunati is the one I would go with. Also If you want to step out the box call Bullet Racing cams. I run their cams and love em. They have alot of the old ultradyne grounds also.

If you have to have the comp be sure to grind it on a billet core. If your heads are out of the box the springs are around a 130lbs at the seat which is heavy!

good luck

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. The solid roller I have in my good engine which is mated to a 4 speed has 256I at 50 with 264 degrees Exhaust at 50, .609 lift 110 lobe centers. It's a blast to run throught the gears. My car weighs 2800 lbs and has 3:80 gears with 30" tall tires.

8. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Just thought of something.... Why not run the edelbrock 2201?
    <TABLE class=overvw><TBODY><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Basic Operating RPM Range</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>1,500-6,500</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>234</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>238</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Duration at 050 inch Lift</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>234 int./238 exh.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Advertised Intake Duration</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>296</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Advertised Exhaust Duration</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>300</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Advertised Duration</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>296 int./300 exh.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>0.539 in.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>0.548 in.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>0.539 int./0.548 exh.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Lobe Separation (degrees)</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>112</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

I ran the above cam in a 9.5 comp 383 with edelbrock rpm heads. 175cc runners in a 3600 car with 373 gear and could drive it anywhere. I drove 75 miles to 1/8th mile dragstrip and ran a 7.80 and drove home. plus the cam sounded nasty and was very driver friendly.

10. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

The guys telling you to get the mfr reccomendations are right, they usually do a pretty good job of helping you get zeroed in on a grind if you give them enough info.

That being said, for sound and streetable power in a 327 cam, this oldie but goodie is hard to beat :D

Hyd. .050 - 221/221-.447/.447-114LSA - 327-350HP, L79

11. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Frank, that was the slap in the face that I think I needed, and it was spoken in my language. I'm going to go with the smaller 60110 Lunati cam and hope that my friends don't make fun of my "pussy" idle. I think it might have more off the line pull than the others and similar performance to the old L79 350hp 327 cam. I hope I'm right here. I would like to travel out of state with this ride as often as possible during the nicer months. This might make for a good traveling combo.

OK guys hit me with your "bitch card" ranking shouts for not picking one of the "cool" cams.

12. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

The coolest cam choice you can make is one that you're happy with day in and day out in a street car that you drive a lot. I made the mistake more than once whan I was younger of building a "street" engine that would often leave my friends watching my tail lights down the quarter mile, but in truth was miserable to drive day in and day out in light to light city traffic. And couldn't pass a gas station with the damn things.

I think you'll like that roller cam you picked out. It might not have the toughest sounding idle you ever heard but I bet the throttle response is going to be right snappy! :D

13. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

You've raised a very good point - with flat tappet cams. Since he's using a roller cam that lifter better not rotate.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When choosing a cam for the street, always err on the milder side. In reality, you'd probably outpull the guys that insist on a manly, lumpy idle anyway......which reminds me of the joke where two guys are drying off after taking their post-workout shower at the gym, and one of them is rather protective of keeping his towel wrapped around his waist. His friend asks him why.
    "Well, to be truthful, my penis is on the small side".
    "Oh.....well, does its size affect your love life?"
    "Well, let's see......there's my wife, my secretary, my mistress......"
    "Hey......how'd you like to trade it even up for one that looks good in the locker room?".

Camshafts are the same-----what's more important, one that performs well, or one that impresses the kids at the ice cream stand?

15. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Oh, and just one other piece of advice. If you're going with the Lunati make damn sure they send you a cool sticker with it, this logo is the coolest :D

[​IMG]

16. Lee3333

Lee3333
    from NYC

I am doing a top end on my SBC, and the Edelbrock top end kit includes the Etech heads, Airgap intake, and 2201 cam which was suggested by Hucklebuckin. Edelbrock says it is good for about 430 HP in a 350. I believe in having everything matched, and Edelbrock has done a lot of testing and designed the parts to work well together. That said, I found this thread doing a search to see how lopey the cam sounds (I know performance is more important, but I love the sound of a rough cam). By the way, this is all in my very different hotrod. It is a 1989 Jeep Wrangler, with a straight front axle, 9 inch rear, full roll cage, etc.

17. To over simplify this. Call the manufacture of the cams you have selected and ask thier opinion. They build them for spaciific uses they will know what is best for what you have and want to do!.

18. Herdez

Herdez

Edelbrock rpm roller would work very well in your motor probably better than it does in the 350 since it likes to rev. Lingenfelter also make some of the best "modern profile" camshafts out there with lots of power. good vac and a hint of loping idle. They use high lift, low duration, and wide lobe separations.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  19. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

I would go with the ebrock or the lunati, The old L79 style cams used long duration and lots of overlap to make high rpm power, the current tech uses high lift with moderate duration and less overlap. This improves low-end torque, throttle response, mileage, and still lets the motor rev. Dont go over 3.73 gears, even 3.50 would work in a light car.

20. Lee3333

Lee3333
    from NYC

My Jeep weighs 2906 without driver and has a full race 350 trans and 390 gears. With my current engine, it ran a 13.1 at 101 mph and went through the traps at about 5500 RPM (shifted at 6000). The engine was not built for speed-the fuelie heads did not have the rocker studs tapped and they are pulling out, and the cam specs are unknown except that it is a Crower with .525 lift and .296 duration. Sounds like a Pro Stock but parts obviously are not working together right (also has the noisey timing gears). My point being that my gears seem alright even in my light vehicle. I am hoping that with the Edelbrock heads and cam I will get into the 11's. The most important part of building an engine is having all of the components work well together. There are several companies, including Edelbrock, that make nice top end kits with cam, heads, and intake manifold that are designed to enhance each other. And they all give estimates of the horsepower they will produce when they are installed on a strong, approximately 9 to 1 compression lower end.

21. Jawsmon

Jawsmon

I use to run a 283 bored .060" over. I used a 327 375hp fuel injection cam from GM. So much l o p e at idle that the front end would begin to bounce. Jumped to life at 3500 rpm. Very streetable, tons of power, ran my buddies off the road.