Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Schumacher Special (early hot rod)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alsancle, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I see you mentioning chroming things etc. Is this "restoration" going to be the way some are done where the finished car is brought to a level that is way nicer than the original ever was ?

Just wondering.

2. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Thanks for the updates on your progress, been following this one for a while

3. oj

oj

Check with fellow hambr Jethro, he did a tech thread 'how i restored a baqnjo steering wheel' a very impressive piece of work. Try the search feature. I found it but don't know how to make it pop up, i searched 'steering wheel molding' and his thread is around halfway down, from last year i think.
    Very nice project.

4. alsancle

alsancle

All the finishes/colors/etc are being restored to their original state. I have plenty of period photos to go by and besides the engine the car was complete so it's not hard to determine what was done originally. You can see in the photo that all the brake linkage is chrome - that is what will need to be sent out for re-chrome.

5. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Awesome car with a very rich history. I really admire your patience and persistance in restoring such a rare racing machine.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds like a great plan. End up with what was built way back when.

7. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

That brake pedal button isn't some over thought brakelamp switch is it?

Just found the thread, I have really enjoyed reading it and looking at your website.
    Very cool build and restoration.

8. alsancle

alsancle

We had the whole assembly together yesterday and I foolishly forgot to grab a picture. It has to go together again so I will definitely grab one. The button is connected to the booster via a complex collection of arms. The booster actuator runs through the booster rod and it all get's connected together. I'm still not sure how it's supposed to work.

9. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You actuate the booster with a button on the pedal when pressing the brakes? Making them self actuating? clever.

10. alsancle

alsancle

Here is the assembled Brake pedal system. I now understand how it works. The actuator runs through the center of the booster arm. When the button on the pedal is depressed, it moves the actuator about 1/8". The actuator coupling is ob-longed and will move that amount independently of the movement of the whole assembly. Now it all has to taken apart and the pieces that were chrome (most of it) need to be sent out. We are still missing a couple of springs, one for the whole assembly and one for the actuator.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. alsancle

alsancle

Gustav's design utilized the original Stutz emergency brake which is located directly behind the transmission. There is a drum with a band that in a factory car would be compressed by pulling a lever located next to the transmission shift. Since the passenger compartment in this car has been moved backwards 3 feet a different mechanism was required. A rod runs through the chassis from side to side. On the driver's side there is a lever, and on the passenger side a spring. This rod has a big "bump" in it to clear the drive shaft. When the lever is pressed forward, it rides a wedge that pushes it out compressing the spring on the far side of the car. An arm that extends from the rod compresses the band on the drum. The lever assembly has now been restored and mounted.

Attached Files:

12. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Throw a sleeping bag under the car, I'll stay there and help you with it:)

That booster actuator is something else.

13. alsancle

alsancle

It is kinda low under there. You might bump your head quite a bit :).

So here is the original medallion that was mounted on the radiator shell before and after. Each of Gus's specials carried a tag or medallion signifying "Schumacher Special" and it's number. You can see in the posts of #10 that the number was very prominent on the front of the car.

You can see in the first picture that the engraving has faded over the years so we sent it to an engraver to have it redone. Foolish am I thinking it was an hours worth of work for someone. A template of the original was made and then it's put into a computer. Quite a bit more work then I thought.

Attached Files:

14. alsancle

alsancle

My dad painted in the badge lettering for me. Prior to restoration the lettering had traces of yellow with black underneath. We assumed that it originally was black as the yellow would not stand out very well and was on top.

Attached Files:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking emblem. I'm still looking for the misplaced steering wheel info. Just wondering how this car would be accepted at a CCCA event? I know it will be mobed at the Fall Festival at Lime Rock on Labor Day weekend (shameless plug). Great to read another progress report!

16. alsancle

alsancle

Hey Bob, As an accepted chassis documented as bodied within period there shouldn't be a problem with the CCCA ... in theory :). If you mean will they like it: I think most of the guys would. I really like those shows so hopefully we'll be able to take it to one. On the steering wheel - we decided to use the rim from the other Stutz wheel I have. I sent it out to have the rim cut out. Will post progress pictures when we make some. Lime Rock sounds like a fun event - have never gone maybe we'll need to make the trip. I don't think we are going to make the big show in August. Just too much work.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Make Lime Rock your next goal, the Supercharged exA.K.Miller Stutz Coupe was there years ago, and the Holman Stutz is a regular on the race track, you and the Schumacher Special would fit in just fine. Who knows maybe some of the ARCA cars that raced in the 1930's and turn up at Lime Rock once shared a parking lot with your car. Would make for a great photo shoot!

18. alsancle

alsancle

Didn't George blow up his DV32 at Lime Rock? When I saw the car last year they were building a web that went on the bottom of the block and cross bolted all the mains - pretty cool. Too bad the factory didn't think of that - you could run the rpm up to 5k. My Dad (who is 85 now) is fired up to go around a race track in this thing at speed. I bought him a vintage pair of leather racing gloves and goggles but I'm still looking for the leather helmet. You can be his co-pilot :)

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last year a 49 year "Bucket List" dream came true at Lime Rock, T-head gave me a ride in a 1912 MERCER, riding shotgun in the Schumacher would be fun too. There are enough guys here on the HAMB that can get the car into the event, and answere any questions you may have. Then it is on to The Rodders Journal and Automobile Quarterly.

20. alsancle

alsancle

Continuing to make slow progress. The grill shell is coming along. I posted pictures earlier in the thread and you can see it's cast aluminum construction. The last 6 inches is aluminum sheet that is riveted to the cast part with brass rivets. Those pieces still have their protective coating on them. The "cage" that sits in front of the radiator has been rebuilt in stainless. The original was chromed steel.

Attached Files:

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this is another way cool project i like to follow along as its rebuilt

22. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

alsancle great car! great story! great resto! please keep updating us(me) I like this thread alot

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Glad I found this....awesome save. Thanks for taking the time to put this up.

24. alsancle

alsancle

Bob, if you do find that wheel guy let me know or if someone else wants to recommend someone I would appreciate it. I had a couple of people recommend Mark Wallach in Nyack NY but he has become hard to get a hold of for some reason.

I've put my original plan of using my other Stutz wheel on hold.

25. West Peterson

West Peterson
    from Dayton

I may be wrong, and I apologize profusely if I am, but I think Mark died about 10 years ago.

26. He had an add in Hemmings in 2008. I have not looked lately.

27. alsancle

alsancle

Progress. The restored, actually re-fabricated, radiator guard in in place. We are working on the aluminum piece by piece. Each piece is insulated and then attached the frame via polished brass machine screws.

Attached Files:

28. edinmass1602

edinmass1602

Earlier this week I was fortunate enough to see alsancle's Stutz Special in person. In the photos above the car looks great, in person it just blows you away. It will be the star of Pebble Beach when it's displayed. I don't think the modern made up European coachwork will compete with it, especially after you see all the provenance of historic photos of the car on the road and at the track. It truly is one of the first American Hot Rods, and one of the first American Super Cars. The only earlier car that I can think of in the same class is Frank Lockheart's land speed car that crashed in Daytona. It's in perfect hands and when done and on the road it will literally stop traffic. Ed

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has the car been invited to Pebble Beach? If so what year?

30. edinmass1602

edinmass1602

It's the only logicial place to premier the car. I am quite certain they would take it as soon as it's finished. Ed