Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fad in the making

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fadt, Nov 12, 2010.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I've wondered that my self. Maybe they all went to Fad T heaven.

2. fadt

fadt
    from England

A man after my own heart. You are spot on. This is the T I wanted ever since I got on my twist and go and went to a drag race in 1971. Is the T I have always dreamed of and 18 years of pleasure makes that dream worthwhile.

There is nothing I would change on this Little Fad and for me thats a very rare statement. My original premise was 'Elegance' which I think has influence many things, in a good way, I hope.

Over the years a lot of people has said things like. that aint right, that wont work, it would be better if and they all have valid points. Hell without comments and advise like coolhands and many others (Got to mention Ted Brown here) I would have made more mistakes that I have.
    Trouble is with a ride like this most everything is breaking new ground for me. I never condemn an idea till Ive tried it. That way i go forward.

As for the Art thing. Thats a compliment and something close to my heart. I always had a strap line in my head on this build..Art and Engineering. I have seen so many Rods that hit that spot I wanted to try and tag along. I am not talking high buck billet here, some of the cars that people walk by are just brilliant and have innovative and clever things on them. You just gotta look and keep an open mind.

When people ask me what i am going to do with it, go to show etc I always give them the real reason for my build.
    I wanted a T so i could truck to the supermarket and get my bottle of Merlot at the weekends and come back with a smile on my face. This has been built to drive which is one reason fro the long time build. I know you will appreciate that getting something like this to behave, drive, ride and stop in a civilized way is not an easy thing.
    The fact that other people with more time in this hobby that me, seem to like it is a real bonus and a great compliment to boot.
    Gerry

3. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I dig it! It is so far out its in!

4. fadt - Do you know what happened to Eddie Wimbles original T? Did it ever get done?

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

fadT your bucket just has the" look",I think anyone building project has a vision of what they want,you sir are building your dream,far from traditional,but very well thought out and very well done.It's not like most T's in a good way.keep-on keepin-on good job

6. so it's Merlot rather than Old Peculiar? :D

7. fadt

fadt
    from England

As far as I know its still in the workshop which is such a shame. Last time I seen it (years ago) it was still being worked on by Eddie. Not sure it will ever see the road.
    Maybe if Ed sees this he might get going again. His Ts are mind blowing.
    Gerry

8. His ideas are mind blowing too. The sandwich chassis design springs to mind.:eek:

9. fadt

fadt
    from England

My chassis, front and rear ends are Eddies work. Bet thats not a surprise
    Gerry

10. my47soto

my47soto

Thats one sexy T!!!!

11. No surprises there!:)
    Mega talented guy.

12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aptly put

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

A beautiful thing………….and im never crazy about T’s or yellow.
    Really dig the back wheels they look like Borrani’s

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

As traditional as I am. Why do I like this? The steering is even on the wrong side. And still I like it.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love the low and wide style your car has. Neat. Gary

16. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Mmm, "sectioning" Dan Woods!.....Normal channel.

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

SO hows that tank comming along?

18. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Chris, the whole chassis was built to my design including the lower control arms. There's 13 pieces to each of them, fully machined, TIG welded, and dressed - with a percentage of anti squat built-in.

There's over 100 pieces of hand made, dressed steel, in the rear end - 23 in the rear crossmember alone. That's apart from needle rollers, fasteners, pins, bronze bushings and clips - most of which are made to suit. I even make the wheels.

As on any chassis I build, nothing on this car was bought in and modified to suit, apart from the obvious - third member, half shafts etc. I design and make everything, even casting patterns and castings where necessary.

Cheers, Ed Wimble.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  19. Ed, great to have you here! I´ve been a fan of your work for ages.

Any chance of showing us what you´ve been up to? Own projects?

:)

20. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Back wheels are 18" x 15" dia. rims, which I make. Borrani pattern triple lace and stainless spokes.

21. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Mr48chev.

Hope you don't mind my replying to this....

I built this chassis for Gerry and there ought be a lot of Dan Woods influence there as he's been a pal of mine for the past 38 years.

I refine and tweak the basic style to be more radical and, add a lot more sculpture to the metalwork as I'm inclined to do with these T Buckets and Tubs.

Cheers, Ed Wimble.

22. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Hello James...damn - how embarassing ! You caught me sneaking in here with some answers of my own, ha ha.

I've been working mainly on Motorcycles for a while. Did a nice 1920s style boadtrack racer using 750 Norton Commando engine, trans' and billet Vincent forks, last year for an American fella living in England, named Mark Frost - check out: Phantom Manufacturing Company on www or Phantom, you'll find it,
    Also, just finished up a J.A.P. V twin custom chop, redid an Ariel 500 single
    chop. Some work on an Enfield frame ready for paint, and a Harley chop.

I still have my old T Bucket - different now of course - looks like I'll have to drag up the enthusiasm to finish that now Gerry's is out in the open !
    What do you think of the car - like the rearend ?

A '29 Delivery with 283 using my own new Stromberg 97s, full belly pan and either, Wires, or Halibrands.

Also, a '29 Phaeton which hasn't been started yet, but have near enough parts to do either a French Flathead powered highboy on '32 frame, or a hot four banger with full fenders - whatever's the least expensive I guess.
    I'm about ready to start on the body, but am first finishing up a cutaway painting of the original Allard Chrysler Dragster which is being restored right now.

See if i can dig out some decent pics....

thanks, Ed.

23. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Thanks for the kind words by the way.... Ed

24. I love the car.

Wouldn´t it be good to finish your T finally? I still have the old "Custom Cars" book with it in from - maybe - the late seventies? It looks done in the photos.

Ah, I forgot you do cutaways as well. Thats my day job (well, tech. illustrator) so I´m usually less than inclined to have a go when I get home. One day though.

Pics would be great.

I´d better go now before I totally turn into a fanboy on you! :eek:

25. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

I'm puzzled by this one Gerry.....

The rack I fitted, I got from some kind of small Jap' van - Honda, Suzuki, or whatever - you're correct there. But I shortened it maybe three of four inches - and it was reversed, I also recall the gaiter still being fitted at the rear. It fastened up though the bellypan which, I guess, you've now removed.

Ed.

26. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Ron,

I have photo's of this chassis as it was coming along in my shop: front axle bending and milling for king pins etc. Front hubs, bell cranks, rear uprights, rear rims, crossmembers, etc.

I'll dig 'em out and see if i can post 'em here.

Ed.

27. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Well...Hiya Don,

Long time no see man - How're ya keeping ?

I think we last met at the Duece 75th anniversary Roadster show, eight years back - when I was showing the new Stromberg's off ?

It must have been 35 odd years ago now since you were with Dan in Paramount ?

I'll never forget those times...Dan should have hung on a few more years and cleaned up in place of Boyd, was years ahead anyhow with Hot Rods at the time....different style of course, but considering what Thom Taylor and I gave Boyd later, could have changed all that !

I remember that little black C Cab at the shop. Also, Mike McCarthy's black bucket with tunnel ram and Holley's shown elsewhere in this thread - went out in that too, and many many others.
    Who's was the big, full fendered Chrysler powered white T roadster, White Lightning ? The 215 Buick, Orange bucket shown here ? Also, Bill Block's. So many nice cars, including all those in the Early Times....

What a character Dan was back then...Nanook of the North was pretty apt I reckon....and the perfect protigee to Ed Roth, ha ha.

Hope all's well Don, what'ya think of this one - how'd I do ? Haven't seen the car for years and just found this thread....

Should be over soon, will look you up. All the best,
    Ed

28. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Love those spoke rear wheels , awesome car.

29. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

The Corvair T was most probably Don Kendall's who has posted in this thread. A really neat and innovative little car, Orange originally. Don's on here, on page 3, I think.