Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boss 429's comeback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Please excuse me my fellow HAMB'ers, I know the big Boss is on the fringes of what a "traditinal" hot rod engine is, BUT! for those that are neck breaking power lovers this thread is for you. Now the lowly big block Ford has never had much of a following outside of 4 x 4's and Ford loyalists, due largely to misinformation and preconceived notions. To some who have tried them these cheap torque monsters= low $ to hp ratios. Of course I'm speaking of the bread and butter 429- 460 canted valve varietys. Some of the goods of this engine family include a standard bore that is .110" bigger than a 454 Chevy and decent enough stock heads to feed the cubes. These things crush sbc's in the hp/$ arena when talking about factory parts. But the pot is getting sweeter. Seems that none other than race engine guru Jon Kaase wants to bring the Boss headed Fords back to the street. In fact he is well on his way to bringing just such a beast to market. Please refer this thread for reference..... http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=22965

May I humbly reiterate that the Boss 429 is probably the most efficient factory 2 valve head ever devised to feed such enormous and hungry animals when speaking of gasoline as the chosen fuel. The secrets lie in the shallower (than true hemis) valve angles, quench chambers, lower domes for higher comp pistons, and superior "charge motion". No the Boss's potential was nipped in the bud so early into it's life due to the times it appeared on the scene. Thanks Mr. Kaase for developing a street version that will be obtainable by hot rodders and will adapt to the garden variety short blocks. This is good news for Ford nuts.

2. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

YAH WHOO! Love it..... I'm a Ford guy.

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Good news I guess since i have 429 in my "Abortion"....not that i can get any traction now!!

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

O.K., O.K....

So what your saying is I should wait a little while longer before buying some new cylinder heads to replace my D0VE ones for my 460 powered drag truck?;)

no prob...

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Like Tony the Tiger says, "It's great!".

6. RuggedDude

RuggedDude
    from Waco, TX

Two F--King crackheads broke into a storage trailer & stole my dad's BOSS429's. the motor was apart and stored. More than likely they it for cash.

7. So you pulled up a 2 year old thread to say that? WTF?:rolleyes:

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

But did those heads ever materialise?

9. redsdad

redsdad

10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

a guy named Todd did some in Iowa a few years back , his used a stock 460 intake as well so nothig special besides heads/rockers/covers
    I think it's TM manufacturing ,

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

What chaps my ass, is the incomplete thought. "they it for cash"?

12. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

This had a Boss 429 in it.
    [​IMG]

13. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

And so did these.
    [​IMG]

14. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

The "new" Boss - John Force Style
    [​IMG]

15. They certainly did. One of the sets was entered in the Engine Masters contest and did very well, considering it was a semi-lowbuck effort. They are certainly not the only Boss-type heads out there, but they are special in that they are essentially factory-type replacements which can use all the original components, except for the rockers, which are better than the originals anyway. Basically he fixed all the flaws and annoying characteristics, improved the air flow, and built 'em. ;) The power figures from the first sets were astounding, given that the test engines were really fairly mild by today's standards.

I got to see the prototypes in early 2008, which was very neat...I have pictures on my old computer, but haven't moved them yet. I tried to talk him into making new 427 SOHC pieces :D, but no luck there, and a couple of other guys have done them since.

Kaase bought a 2008 Mustang GT and made a modern-day Boss 429. It was amazing to see that the 429 fit almost perfectly in place of the original 4.6 modular engine... http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119686 I saw the completed car in Jan. 2009 and it was completely cool...new car or no new car.

The car has since been sold to someone in Canada IIRC.

16. hemislave

hemislave

Funny.. still looks like the Chrysler based engine its always been...