Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YYYY Not?? 292 Y-Block In A '61 Econoline...How 'bout it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I have a bit of a problem. I can't leave well enough alone. Who cares??

What I have is a '61 Econoline with a 200. It runs just fine and is actually fun to drive. It's no neck snapper but it works good.

Now, I have a fine running 292 hooked to a 4 speed truck trans from a '62 F100 coming my way. I feel this would be a neat swap (..minus the trans).

I always wanted a Y-block for my Model A but I have decided on a different route so this engine will just sit there.

I'm just curious what you guys would do.

BloodyKnuckles

2. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hook it up, bitch! I'll hopefully be pulling it in about 2 weeks. Come by and see it run before I yank it.

3. I think I might just do that!

BloodyKnuckles

4. modeltford

modeltford

Had a 427 with a C-6 & headers in a 63 E-van - Y block should fit fine! The cover didn't even need to be modified. Biggest problem was still had stock 6-banger radiator - couldn't keep it cool. A Y-block would be a much cooler install!!

5. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

why not a windsor?

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Because Y-Blocks are cooler.

I vote HELL YES!

I'm not familiar with the Econoline chassis/mounts/etc. But using the Y-Block truck timing cover and bellhousing should make the installation easy with a Hurst-style front saddle mount and the mid-mounts on the bellhousing.

7. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

8. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

THe Parts Depot has a couple locations along the East coast of the US, the have a 3 core radatiator with late '60's Mustang deminsions that fits perfect. It's not alimum but it's only $200. I should be wrapping up the AOD convertion for my 302 tonight. I had about a 15 mile cruize with the 3 core before I started on the tranny, had a 160 thermo in it, seem to cool nice but really to soon to tell. I have a '62 Econo and I say YES to the Y-Block! Best of luck man.

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I need a 390 block for set up in the truck. Know anyone who has one?

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh just leave it the fuck alone and finish those headlights on your '51......or shave the handles......or work on the grille surround........or get it into a primer sealer.......or work on the buick. Or are you getting out of the Hot Rod & Custom thing in favor for Vans.

We'll have to ask for your plaque back if we see it on that fucking van. Haha!!! Serious though.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

somebody say y-block?

Put down another vote for yes

13. take apart some more shit why don't ya!!!! :D

oh and I'd put a hot rod engine in it. I am not sure those Y-blocks are known for having any nuts??

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Awesome idea!! go for it!!!!!!

make sure you give it a bigger radiator while you are in there.

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

Do it! Do it! Do it!

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sounds cool to me....go for it !!
    And post pics too....

17. Tim G

Tim G

I'm jealous, my 61 Econoline has a 144 in it... couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding :(

18. Shut up! Go for the Y-Block, mch cooler!!!:D;)

19. Right:rolleyes:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/28gtzOJdHqg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/28gtzOJdHqg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/urQFQ9gfsaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/urQFQ9gfsaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

20. sololobo

sololobo

Y-not a y-block!! Yeah, here is one of my faves, a bone stock y-block that beats hopped up Chevys at the strip!! Rob Lee's roadster sporting a 341" Ford dump truck stump puller. That's Y!! ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

21. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Go for it. Most of the people wont know what they are looking at anyway.
    (that's a Chevy w/the dist. in the back)

Give em Hell Tim

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

Well, my first thoughts were 1.) Isn't a Y-block a pretty heavy engine? 2) fitting any v8 into a pre-65 Econo will require a lot of work and parts chasing or fabrication.

For a motor that few people will see, you will *probably* find more bang for your buck with a 289/302 or 351.

You will definitely need a new radiator. Someone suggested a Mustang radiator. A 6cyl Mustang radiator will fit easily (with some modification), but will not cool a v8. I put an aluminum radiator in mine with an electric puller fan and it never got over 185.

23. Exceptions to the rule.
    That truck sounds great -
    And if Ron builds it hot like that, then yeah - that's a hot rod engine.

24. chillywilly

chillywilly

TIM!! 10.61? F ya! Thanks for all your help... I'm Y hooked. Tudor - the origination of the y motor was for a stout bottom end for making power. Nuts - no problem

25. davis574ord

davis574ord

Do it im puttin a 312 y-block w/3 dueces in my 31 u never see them very much thats why im doin it instead of the belly button small block chevy, so over done!

26. Tim G

Tim G

10.61? build date?

27. vstarbob

vstarbob

28. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

My dad had a '61 (i think) Econoline with a Boss 351C in it (REAL Boss)... converted it over to 4x4 too... He built everything bigger though so he could put a 460 in at a later date.. But the 351 had more than enough guts to turn that ol' white van into a rocket ship...

I can get you all the info from my dad on how he did the swap... I've posted it a couple times on here for others.. I'm sure that it'd be the same basic process for wedgin' in a Y...

He built that van for mud drags back in the 70's... built alot of ol' High Boy Ford Trucks for mud draggers, and built the van to compete with them.... Those trucks didn't stand a chance.. lol... then the Van went away, and he started playin' with a Plymouth Trail Duster with a 440 Interceptor.. (he recalls tossing all the junk factory stuff in favor of "better" after market parts, factory cast iron headers, intake, air cleaner, etc.., says that was a mistake)

But I'll see if I can't dig up that info, or if my dad gets sometime I'll have him post it for ya...

29. ha ha ha - I was just breaking Bloody's nuts - no worries - all hail the Y BLOCK!!! Did I say that truck sounded good? Man that truck sounded good. Too bad they cut the camera off!