Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. hvychvy

hvychvy

Nice job on creating a kool kustom!!! I'm even starting to dig the color with the new frontend treatment:)

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

Thanks Man!!!!, As far as the headlight, no, I'm going with something like this.. There are different variations, but you get the idea...

Attached Files:

3. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

Hrod your one lucky dude. I am a big fan of Rick's work also. I give a big yes vote for the buick headlights.

4. merc546

merc546
    from Michigan

Hrod50. Merc is looking good. You may want to rethink about those headlight with the built in turn signals. My friend has them on his Model A and with the head lights on the turn signals can't be seen but then again I'm not the youngest guy here so maybe it's just my eyes.

If you lived here in Michigan you wouldn't have to worry it seems nobody uses them just jam on the brakes and everybody should be able to read your mind. Enough of that. Your doing a great job.

Chuck

5. the car looks great cant wait to see it when its done

6. HRod 50

HRod 50

Thanks Folks,,, I'm thinking of going with those headlights, just so I"m legal. I do plan on drivin it, a lot, so I can't mess with the Poh-lice.

Buick headlights would be cool but I'm trying to clean up the front end a bit. I think it would be too much going on. I'm not gettiing rid of my pontiac bumper and winglets, the kaiser bumper guard, or the small bullets on the end of the 58 corvette grill.

Wow, I'm Parts (name) dropping.. 1 year ago, I wouldnt know what I'm talking about.. HAhaha

7. HRod 50

HRod 50

Update Pic, of the Side...

Attached Files:

8. spinner

spinner

h rod your 50 merc project is starting to look good. Doing your changes one step at time keeps it fun.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It has been fun following this thread. Looks like you and your builder have a great working relationship and the final product will reflect that. Stellar

10. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

Thanks to, James D My King of Photo Shop I have this photoshoped picture of what my car is going to look like. The first picture is how I bought her, and the second is what I'm going for.. I hope you guys like, and Thanks to James D....

Attached Files:

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

You cant go wrong with James D doing a photoshop for you,it looks great boy it sure has come a long way congrats again ! When will you be able to drive it?

12. HRod 50

HRod 50

Kool,

I told Rick at EXK to take his time on making her right. I'm hopng to have her for my birthday March 13th, but if not it's okay..

I wrote to James D that I was starting to lose interest in the car because of how long it is taking, I'm new to the Kustom world, and didn't realize how long the process takes, and that his Photoshop of my car rejuvenated me. James is awesome on that photoshop..

13. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

James D, did some more photoshoping for me. These are just ideas I;m kicking around. The Carson top color is wrong, it should be beige/tan, ut you get the idea... Carson top, Scallop, and what I think the final product is going to be...

Attached Files:

14. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I like the Carson Top... How about in white???

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

Lowmerc50,

I dont know how to change the color, and James has done so many pictures for me, I'm too embarassed to ask him for one more..

16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Put a carson top on it!! It just looks right with the four doors.

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That black and white photo was taken in the early 80s.

18. HRod 50

HRod 50

Mack, you are right... I found out after the fact, but my information as to the use of the Corvette grill is late 59, early 60's... Man, you guys on the HAMB know too damn much.. hahaha.. Thats why it rocks...

19. skoh73

skoh73

Here's a quick touch up- easy to do off of James' fine work. Hopefully the color is closer to what you were looking for...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. A four door Merc with a removable roof?
    Sounds pretty stupid to me.......

Attached Files:

• Off.jpg
      Off.jpg
      File size:
      49.6 KB
      Views:
    • On.jpg
      On.jpg
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
  21. HRod 50

HRod 50

DOES IT EVER STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update, so I'm thinking of blocking Rick of EXT from emailing me anymore. Every time I get an email form him I cringe. Hahaha, Just kidding..

Anyway, Rick is fixng all of the 4 doors hinges,it hasnt been pretty, but workable, and then came this. The last door. After struggling to remove the door hinges, even having to drill out the screws, in the drivers side rear door. This pretty little thing is what was there. I think after the hinges, every piece of metal is either in great condition, or new. I'll take that anyday...

All Kidding aside look at Ricks great work.... Thanks Rick!!!

Attached Files:

22. I like the Carson top look for that car.

23. U-235

U-235

Go with this one....It reminds me of one Barris did back in the 50's (almost same color)...It was featured on the cover of one of the little East coast mags...it wasn't quite as low as yours in the front and had a 53 Pylmouth
    grille bar I believe with parking lights on the ends....It also had one of those accessory chrome plates that go on the grille pan....very nice
    Forget the Carson style top...I've only seen one that looked good and it was done by Dick Dean (very well thought out)...the others just look like
    4 doors with the roof chopped off....yours looks good just the way it is and its already done...!

24. HRod 50

HRod 50

U-235- I love you Man!!!!!!! THanks for the compliment.

If you are talking about this car. You are exactly right. This is the car I'm using as a model for my car, except the rear window, and how it sits. It's the only thing I don't like about the car....

Thanks Rik...

Attached Files:

• B1.jpg
      B1.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:
    • B4.jpg
      B4.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • B7.jpg
      B7.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
    • B2.jpg
      B2.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
    • B3.jpg
      B3.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    • B5.jpg
      B5.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • B8.jpg
      B8.jpg
      File size:
      153.7 KB
      Views:
    • B6.jpg
      B6.jpg
      File size:
      188.2 KB
      Views:
  25. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

I alos like the Carson top. Could they make one for my Ford Fusion hybrid?????

26. Love the look of a Carson top,but hate the tan color. White would look much better. I almost bought a purple 4dr with a Carson top from slddnmatt,but someone beat me to it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  27. U-235

U-235

Yep...thats the one....looks like my memory is slipping as the car in the foreground is the one with the plymouth grille.....the one in the background looks to have a early 50's Dodge grille 51-52...?
    I never liked the back of the top either...yours is much better....Did you have this car in mind when you bought yours...?

28. HRod 50

HRod 50

U-235, To be honest, like everything I do, I buy something then I educate myself about it. Like I bought my first motorcycle before learning how to ride one. Bought my first race bike before I had ever been on a race track. Anyway, I knew I wanted an old car, but not sure what. If I would have found a nice 1964 Impala convertible when I was ready to buy I probably would have gotten that. I always wanted a Merc, and since I was a newly wed, and my wife and I were talking about children. I thought a 4 door Merc would be perfect. I hate scooting the chair up to let people in, so the thought of letting kids in and out, made it a no brainer, 4 doors is for me.. I know guys arent into the 4 doors, but they're practical, and by the pictures of the Barris 4 door they can be cool..

So to answer your question. I had never seen the Barris Merc until I wrote Rik Hoving an email asking for suggestions for my Merc. He sent me those pictures and the rest is history. I purchased the mag I even now own the Original Photograph of the Barris 4 door Merc. That's George and I after I purchased it..

My builder Rick at EXT, knows what I'm after and I've sent him these pictures, and he's going to use that chop as a model, without that weird rear window. We are going to put a 49 3 piece rear glass on my car without that funky hump.... Stay tuned

Attached Files:

29. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Hey HRod50

What a fantastic journey for you and the Merc. Read the thread from the beginning and you will recognise the personal journey you appear to have been on from Angry New Guy to Relaxed Nice Guy.

Good luck with the rest of the build - I have a 54 Hard Top which I have just ordered the parts to lower from the States so should be able to start in the spring. I have the ability to do the work myself, but with two kids and a lot of other interests will have to face the fact that I too will have to pay someone else to do the work - BUT this will not make the car any less mine and you should be proud of your vision and acheivements.

After lowering, I will be shaving excess chrome and going for a mild custom look.

I will follow your thread with interest

All the best

Jaz

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I think you should have EXT work his magic on the conventioinal chopped 4 door roof ! GOOD NEWS!