Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck water distribution tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louie the fly, Jun 5, 2010.

1. louie the fly

louie the fly

I tried to remove the water distribution tube in my 230 Dodge today (amongst other things) but it's really stuck. Anyone got a good solution to removing them? Also, is the fan hub pressed on to the water pump shaft, or does it come apart some other way? I'm assuming that the water pump is able to be stripped and rebuilt.

Cheers

Louie

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Search the "Power Wagon" sites and "P15-D24" sites about the tubes & water pump.

I've seen some custom tools made for pulling that water distribution tube... A pair of Vise-Grip Pliers with a slide hammer shaft welded to the grip. Grab the tube, slide hammer it out.

I've also seen various hooks and small spreaders used with slide hammers.

If it's rusted badly, you'll probably have to take it to a machine shop. But soak it with diesel/ATF/penetrating oil/etc for a few days and then have another go at it before taking it to a machinist.

Good luck.

3. hemimerc

hemimerc

I got mine out in three pieces with a 20 lb slide hammer and home made 3/8s ?round rod and a hook at the end. I can mail you a pic if you like it also helps if you have the replacement tube for reference because they taper down at the end making it difficult to hook . you'll have to grind down the sides of the rod flat to allow it to fit at the end . [email protected]

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Go to the technical tips section on the p15-d24 homepage...not the forums, and scroll down to water dst. tube removal.