Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 20, 2010.

1. So I have found the engine that I want to build, but here is the thing. He's in Wantagh, NY. I'm in Amarillo, TX. And he won't ship... It's a cleaned SBC block and not that heavy to ship. Guy won't ship it. Is there anyone that can help?

2. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

What kind of sbc any thing special????? If not there is a bunch around , Hell I have a 4 bolt main sitting here from 69 what was he charging you??

3. Its a 1955 265 block that's been in storage for the last 40 years. It's spotless. $200

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

drive there, put it in your trunk.

5. Driving there takes time that I don't have. FedEx. UPS. These words are foreign to this guy with the block.

6. K and K

K and K

You wouldn't ship a block through those companies anyways. I have shipped blocks and the best way is to go through a trucking company. About ten years ago it would cost me 75 bucks to ship from California to Texas. Do you need that specific block because of date codes or something? There are still more sbc blocks around than anything. Check your local machine shops because alot of them have blocks that they end up with that they have cleaned and magged.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree that there may be many alternatives nearer to home for SBC. However, if you REALLY want this block, perhaps you can arrange for it to be picked up be the shipper. Likely the seller would have to put the block on some sort of small pallet and tie, strap or bolt it down, but that would be about all. Expect to pay extra for the pickup, especially at a residential address, but I would think it could be arranged. You may need some sort of intermediary shipping agent rather than a direct connection with the truck line. Do a little investigating on the internet using Google or equivalent.

Ray

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Call BenD here on the HAMB...

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would really try to find one a little closer but then it's a 265 and not many around anymore . There might be someone around your way you might know that is out of work or something like that and could drive up and get it for you . Anyway look at it this way , it's going to cost you a lot of money to get it . Heck with the holiday next week , if you were off for Thanksgiving and maybe take off Friday too , couldn't you just drive up and get the block ? Then if you have a friend that could share the driving you could drive straight up and just keep taking 4 hour turns of driving and the other one sleep in-between . Just a thought .
    Can I ask why you have to use the 265 ? Doesn't a 283 work as well or is there block numbers on them to tell the difference ? I am a Ford guy so I don't know . I owned many Chev. over my younger days but wasn't the 265 the first V8 then they got smart and made it into the famous 283 then the 327 ? I am sure they are all the same blocks basically .

Retro Jim

10. Spity

Spity

I thought '55 265s didnt come with oil filter pads cast on them. Why the hell would you not want an oil filter.

11. That's exactly why I want it. It was the only year that the oil filter was an option. Lucky for me, I've actually got the original bypass filter for this motor in addition to almost every other part to go on a '55 265. I started building a 305 to look like an old 265 until common sense told me to just build the damn 265.

12. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I guess if he doesn't want to hassle with shipping, you should make the time to go pick it up.

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

I just gotta ask are you putting this in your donk?

14. tomslik

tomslik

www.uship.com ain't a bad way to go.
    at least I haven't had any trouble...
    i'm sure SOMEBODY has,, but there's always somebody..

15. flthd

flthd

right on moefuzz,donk HA!

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you want it bad enough get it. I just sold an Ice shaving machine to a guy in New York weighed about 225 lbs,He opened an account with Fed-Ex told them the approximate weight,I boxed it up,they picked it up and he had it in 2 days using ground shipment.The trucking companies are getting famous for losing stuff.

17. 33chevy409

33chevy409
    from New Mexico

I recently saw a 265 on Craigslist in Farmington NM. I have no idea who has it or anything about it. It was cheap if I remember & a lot closer. Just thot that mite help.