Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a lift in their home garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Nov 21, 2010.

1. We had a pretty good year at work and I should get a decent xmas bonus so I've been exploring the idea of getting a lift for my garage. I have fairly low ceilings so I am going to have to go with a mid-rise scissor type lift or a kwiklift. I'm trying to get opinions on either. I also did a post on garage journal but I wanted to ask here also. Thanks for any feedback positive or negative that you can share with me. Todd

2. Lifts are cool. If and when I build a house or garage, I am going to put in a pit.

3. It's on my "Someday" list

4. fms427

fms427

I have a four-poster in my garage - wonderful thing - don't know how I lived without it ! Had it in the previous house with a 9.5 foot ceiling - worked OK with low cars such as Corvettes, but couldn't put all the way up. Current house has 12 foot ceiling which works great.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I've been wanting to do this so bad.

someday

6. Those are exactly the pors and cons I thought of. Hoping to here from folks that have either style. I like the better height of the scissor lift but to drop a trans with on would be a pain in the ass. And like you said the Kwiklift has unlimited access under the car. Todd

7. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I've got a two post lift in my shop and love it I'm looking to buy a four post next. You have to look at what your going to do with it. If your going to work on the under side of the car neither one your looking at will work for you. if your going to just change tiers,brakes and so on. Its all about your needs.

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Risks associated with a vehicle service pit
    There are risks of serious injury to persons working in or near vehicle service pits by
    asphyxiation, explosion or fire (should any flammable gases or vapors contact an
    ignition source), falling into an unguarded open pit, being struck by an accidentally
    dropped item of equipment and the inability to escape in an emergency (fire).

Working in a vehicle service pit
    Apart from the above risk controls the following safe systems of work should always
    be considered before entering a vehicle service pit:

Check pit for presence of flammable or other hazardous vapors.

Ensure natural airflow through the workshop to reduce concentrations of the
    vapors and/or gases.

Place vehicle so there is room to get out of pit in an emergency.

Set chocks to keep vehicle from moving.

Use pneumatic (air-powered) or explosion-protected tools as a safety precaution
    even though the pit has been checked for flammable vapors.

Do not drain a fuel tank over or near a pit. Vapors from fuel are heavier than air.

Welding and oxy cutting from a pit are extremely dangerous operations and must
    not be carried out unless the pit has been completely purged of oil, flammable
    vapor and gases.

Do not jump across pits.

9. With a pit no need to have over height cellings. Lifts take up garage space and you actually gain space with a pit. Seen lifts fail.

10. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I put a used two post rotary in a couple years back. I have the ceiling height so it works very well for me.. In my opinion, the twoposts are the most versatile styleHowever, any lift is typically better than no lift by a long shot. Some companies sell scissor style lifts that can be rolled out of the way for floor space.
    Let me know when you are getting ready to do something. The guy I had install mine gets stuff in all the time and is very reasonable. Plus he will set it up if you need him to.

11. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

i have a 2post bendpac asysemetric. love it best money ever spent.dont skimp out buy a good quality one. make sure its certified. got mine new for 2500

12. tinlid

tinlid

Visited my brother-in-law that recently bought a post lift. He also had low (8') ceilings. He boxed in the rafters (like doing a window) above where the lift was to go and opened the roof up and added a box on top of the roof. The vehicle now goes part way thru the roof. I would guess you really need to take care to box the cross rafters and roof joists to not loose strentgh but his setup works well. (Oh, on his, he needs to make sure the doors are shut before lifting.)

13. noboD

noboD

I just need electric to make my two post lift work, just anchored it to the floor last weekend. It's a used Rotary 7000 lb I paid $400 for, installed in my new yardshed. Can't wait to use it. As for pits, they are illegal unless they have an alternate way out from what I hear. I know someone that was trapped under a car when a fire started. He was scared 30 years later when he told me about it.

14. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

We've got a two post Rotary with overhead cables- stands a few inches shy of the 12' ceiling in the garage. It's a great lift- picked it up pretty cheap from a transmission shop that was going out of business.

Something to think about with the low ceilings- One of my neighbors installed a lift in his garage, which has a low ceiling. The roof trusses ran from front to back, and since he needed a new roof on the garage anyways he tore the old one off and slid the trusses spanning the lift bay over to allow room for a car to go up into the attic space- basically doubling up the trusses on either side and framing in supports across the span of them to hold the roof above. You have to be a little more careful putting trucks and other large vehicles on the lift (and don't leave the hood up) but it works great.

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

A 4-post lift will allow piggy-back parking/storage which is gainful as well.

16. Displayman

Displayman

We have an Eagle 4 post in our 36 x 45 shed.
    We bought the additional caster wheels, which allow you
    to move it if you need to.. The wheels are only on when you need to use them,
    they are easily added without tools in about 5 minutes, then hang on the shop
    wall when not in use.
    Good luck chosing yours.

Bob-Hampshire, Illinois

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Scissor trusses in the lift area may be an option for you.

18. rambler racer

rambler racer

got a 10000 lbs two post best thing i ever bought.You'll find you have more friends with car problems then you will ever want to hear about. Gonna buy a 4 post to store cars to make more room.

19. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

We have a used Snap-On scissor lift that I think is pretty damn handy & would be perfect for a home shop for the following reasons:

Inexpensive (compared to a 2/4 post unit)
    3' lift height fits in more garages, esp with the trusses moved
    Can be rolled out of the way.
    Makes a great fab bench when there's no car on it.

20. shop teacher

shop teacher

Anyone use a Max-Jack portable 2 post lift? It is possible to move it to several locations and is short for low ceilings.

21. Gotta have it!
    [​IMG]

22. I love my lift! One of the best features that I incorporated when I built my garage (the urinal in the bathroom is the other!). I have the wheel kit so I can roll the lift outside to pressure wash projects or just move the lift around in the garage. I sure makes cleaning wheels/tires a lot easier if it's done at chest height.

Jim

Attached Files:

23. Can you modify the inner structure at all to accomodate a normal hoist? It'd be worth it. I did, after seeing a friend do it

24. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I put a 4 post and 2 post in.I put two new garage door in the back of my garage to drive thru onto hoist than put a cove ove them.No height problem.Also have a pit in garage.Never use the pit,and hardly ever use the 4 post.You can pick up a good used one if watch paper or autions for $1000 They do not have to take up space in your garage if you have room outside.Just cover moter with a bucket when not useing .Mine has been outside for 4 yrs with no problem.Greese it up good for the winter.Have fun

25. genosslk

genosslk

I installed a 9,000 pound four post lift after a floor jack failed and dropped my car before I had a chance to get my jack stand under it. I've used it now for about three years and I could NOT do without it ever! It has turned into the most important tool in my shop. I see my friends more often now than ever!!!! Well worth the price!

26. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Have a mohawk 2 post lift. As I am getting older I would not be without one. One of the best investments you can buy.

27. ganga

ganga

I have a four post. It is simple and safe and you can get them in 110v or 220v. I have a 10 ft ceiling so it can't go all the way up so I got a couple of adjustable height office chairs that roll around. It makes it pretty comfortable.

You can get a four post installed at a reasonable price these days.

28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I have a 4 post Backyard Buddy lift and it's awsome. I would buy a 4 post even if you have low ceiling height as you can always take it with you if you move to a house with taller ceilings. Whereas if you buy a scissor lift, your always gonna have a scissor lift.

29. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

My single post Lift!!
    Of course it wont fit into my garage, but thats ok, because I dont have a garage!!!
    You guys are sooooooo lucky.

Attached Files:

30. oldman2

oldman2

Have a friend with a 4 post, a friend with a 2 post , a friend with scissor lift. Have helped them with projects, I thing the 2 post works best for most of repairs, cleaning, inspection, etc. I'm saving for a good 2 post, my 2 cents worth.